upgraded internet today but its slower

Calling John
Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,
On 7/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, Calling John said:

before with vdsl i got around 50 mega bit down now im getting around 25mgea bit

On 7/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, Calling John said:

i can't remember off the top of my head but i know it should be much faster then vdsl  also my computer is in my bedroom and i don't have a long enough lan cable

It seems from your later replies you're from New Zealand and your ISP is Spark. 

They actually have (or had) a 30/10 Fiber plan, so you should double check with Spark that:

A) You're on a faster plan (e.g 100/20) and;

B) That your plan is provisioned properly. Sometimes there have been mistakes where they applied the incorrect profile. 

As others have pointed out though this could be Wifi related. I could barely get 50Mbit on that Huawei HG659b despite apparently being 3*3 MIMO.

If you have a mobile from the last few years, you might want to try testing close to the router with the Speedtest app. Also make sure you're testing to the Spark Speedtest Server. 

You might also want to check your wifi connection and make sure you're connected on 802.11ac (5ghz). 

so we got fiber installed  my ping on speedtest and in games is much lower  but compared to when we had vdsl my internet speed for downloading is worse

im using a 150mbps usb 3.0 dongle

what is causing this

First, when testing speed you should connect directly to the modem/router with ethernet to remove any problems caused by wireless signals or dongles.

Second, what speed plan did you purchase from your ISP?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

First, when testing speed you should connect directly to the modem/router with ethernet to remove any problems caused by wireless signals or dongles.

Second, what speed plan did you purchase from your ISP?

i can't remember off the top of my head but i know it should be much faster then vdsl  also my computer is in my bedroom and i don't have a long enough lan cable

8 hours ago, Calling John said:

Unfortunately that will prevent you doing any meaningful diagnostics.

No ISP will respond to complaints if you are using WiFi, especially with a 150Mbit stick as its likely using 2.4Ghz only which is not at all uncommon to get speed drops that severe, or worse.

I'm surprised you ever got 50Mbit, I've had days where I could only get 25Mbit on WiFi supporting 2x2 MIMO on 2.4Ghz and 150Mbit sticks are usually 1x1 SISO which is half the speed.

Do you know what router you have?

Can you go into Control Panel, Network & Internet, Network and Sharing Centre, Click on your WiFi connection in there to see the link speed.  At the very least you probably need a better WiFi adapter.

If you changed router as part of the upgrade its probably just not got as good range on WiFi so using an older WiFi adapter is holding you back.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Might also be worth noting that many ISPs ask you to wait 2-3 days so that your connection can stabilise. and by the sound of things, that dongle of yours might also be the weak link here. I'd also vouch for you getting a LAN cable if at all possible. I know they're super messy and all. but they're very reliable and will give you a high chance of getting the speed you pay for. 

12 hours ago, IPickle said:

Might also be worth noting that many ISPs ask you to wait 2-3 days so that your connection can stabilise. and by the sound of things, that dongle of yours might also be the weak link here. I'd also vouch for you getting a LAN cable if at all possible. I know they're super messy and all. but they're very reliable and will give you a high chance of getting the speed you pay for. 

my mum used her phone with our old vdsl internet in here room and would get like 75% signal with this new fiber she get like 10 to 15 % signal

this is our modem https://www.spark.co.nz/business/shop/internet/modem/
this is our old one Huawei HG630B

14 hours ago, Calling John said:

my mum used her phone with our old vdsl internet in here room and would get like 75% signal with this new fiber she get like 10 to 15 % signal

this is our modem https://www.spark.co.nz/business/shop/internet/modem/
this is our old one Huawei HG630B

Is that modem (actually router) broadcasting a single SSID (the name of the WiFi connection) or one for each frequency?

It could be your mums phone is latching on to 5Ghz now when it was 2.4Ghz before.  Sometimes this can work better (even when a weaker signal), sometimes worse, which is why I always use a different SSID for each - so you can manually change if automatic isnt working correctly.

Either way I'd still highly recommend you get a better USB WiFi adapter for your PC and ideally a nice long ethernet cable for testing (or temporarily move your PC into the same room as the router).  Otherwise were not going to know if this is a WiFi problem or not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 7/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, Calling John said:

On 7/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, Calling John said:

It seems from your later replies you're from New Zealand and your ISP is Spark. 

They actually have (or had) a 30/10 Fiber plan, so you should double check with Spark that:

A) You're on a faster plan (e.g 100/20) and;

B) That your plan is provisioned properly. Sometimes there have been mistakes where they applied the incorrect profile. 

As others have pointed out though this could be Wifi related. I could barely get 50Mbit on that Huawei HG659b despite apparently being 3*3 MIMO.

If you have a mobile from the last few years, you might want to try testing close to the router with the Speedtest app. Also make sure you're testing to the Spark Speedtest Server. 

You might also want to check your wifi connection and make sure you're connected on 802.11ac (5ghz). 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA