CPU cooler cannot reach the CPU.

Deffy

As seen in the picture, the Corsair H150i cannot reach the CPU. Of course I've done all the steps that are in the manual. Where should i be putting the most force? should i hold the backplate strongly on the MB (asus prime z390-p) while i put the screws in? Or is there a different way? Apologies for the dumb question, it just baffles me since I've installed liquid coolers before without problems hence the reason I'm confused what I've done wrong. any help would be appreciated.

15635249164957136416515066313434.jpg

does the cpu cooler not reach the cpu? if not, you may want to re-mount the radiator to the top exhaust. From the picture, i assume the rad is mounted on the front intake?

typically you don't need to hold the backplate with too much force, just frim enough to thread one screw through. when you are able to thread it through, i recommend tightening it as much as you can by hand (without a screw driver) in a cross pattern. Don't tighten the first one too much before the others, and then tighten them diagonally a little at a time

Pretty sure backplate goes on with those ‘2 sides screws’  ea. The one side keeping backplate on and then the caps or screws to keep aio in place ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I see thermal paste on both cpu & cooler, so why say they are not intact ??

also where are your cooler standoffs?

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I see thermal paste on both cpu & cooler, so why say they are not intact ??

Tried doing some benchmarks. Temps went from 30 Celsius to 85 Celsius in 3 effing seconds before i panickedly closed Cinebench.

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Pretty sure backplate goes on with those ‘2 sides screws’  ea. The one side keeping backplate on and then the caps or screws to keep aio in place ?

I have just this backplate and 4 screws (on left) for it and the 4 screws to keep the cooler intact.

15635262925304062799884828409827.jpg

8 minutes ago, Derrk said:

does the cpu cooler not reach the cpu? if not, you may want to re-mount the radiator to the top exhaust. From the picture, i assume the rad is mounted on the front intake?

typically you don't need to hold the backplate with too much force, just frim enough to thread one screw through. when you are able to thread it through, i recommend tightening it as much as you can by hand (without a screw driver) in a cross pattern. Don't tighten the first one too much before the others, and then tighten them diagonally a little at a time

Well, with the Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case the radiator is more to the front side but it's next to MB to be exact.

15635264313198621963567796490439.jpg

3 minutes ago, Deffy said:

I have just this backplate and 4 screws (on left) for it and the 4 screws to keep the cooler intact.

why arent you using them...?

also check pump and fans are all plugged in and working, feel the vibration

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I am using them, was just showing what did i use, that's all.

5 minutes ago, Deffy said:

those 4 screws should thread into the backplate and hold it in place

10 minutes ago, Deffy said:

Tried doing some benchmarks. Temps went from 30 Celsius to 85 Celsius in 3 effing seconds before i panickedly closed Cinebench.

cinebench causes drastic spikes in cpu temps. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're a video editor. Most every-day use scenarios won't cause spikes like cinebench will. If you're worried, i'd recommend letting cinebench try to finish. If it the cpu gets too hot, the pc will shut off on its own.

I didn't notice at first, but like @dgsddfgdfhgs was saying, it appears there's thermal paste on both the cpu & cooler. Since the cooler is pre-applied with thermal paste (or TIM), you don't need to add it to the cpu as well. If you take the cooler off, you'll want to wipe off all the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol & re-apply the thermal paste to ONLY the cpu

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

those 4 screws should thread into the backplate and hold it in place

cinebench causes drastic spikes in cpu temps. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're a video editor. Most every-day use scenarios won't cause spikes like cinebench will. If you're worried, i'd recommend letting cinebench try to finish. If it the cpu gets too hot, the pc will shut off on its own.

I didn't notice at first, but like @dgsddfgdfhgs was saying, it appears there's thermal paste on both the cpu & cooler. Since the cooler is pre-applied with thermal paste (or TIM), you don't need to add it to the cpu as well. If you take the cooler off, you'll want to wipe off all the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol & re-apply the thermal paste to ONLY the cpu

Yeah but the thing is, when it's idle it averages around 45-50 degrees, which is way too high for the cooler I'm using so it definitely is not having enough contact with the cpu. Just for nostalgic reasons ?, i played GTA:SA, the cpu temperatures were 65c, definitely very high temps for such an old game. 

Just now, Deffy said:

Yeah but the thing is, when it's idle it averages around 45-50 degrees, which is way too high for the cooler I'm using so it definitely is not having enough contact with the cpu. Just for nostalgic reasons ?, i played GTA:SA, the cpu temperatures were 65c, definitely very high temps for such an old game. 

and regarding the thermal paste on the CPU, i didn't apply any myself since as you mentioned the cooler has it preapplied. the marks are just my struggles of installing the cooler.

2 minutes ago, Deffy said:

what is the cpu? Again, you may just have too much thermal paste, if it was applied to the cpu with the pre-applied paste on the cooler

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

what is the cpu? Again, you may just have too much thermal paste, if it was applied to the cpu with the pre-applied paste on the cooler

i9 9900k. i didn't apply any additional thermal paste. only the pre-applied from the cooler

20 minutes ago, Deffy said:

Use those screws, that’s the ones I meant. First install backplate after the aio 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Deffy said:

i9 9900k. i didn't apply any additional thermal paste. only the pre-applied from the cooler

have you checked that the AIO pump is running at 100%? If not, boot into your bios to and the set the pump to 100

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

have you checked that the AIO pump is running at 100%? If not, boot into your bios to and the set the pump to 100

There was never good contact I assume 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

most likely. 30c at idle is really good, especially in the summer. OP may just need to re-mount the cooler

27 minutes ago, Derrk said:

most likely. 30c at idle is really good, especially in the summer. OP may just need to re-mount the cooler

30 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

50 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I am speechless. I have found the issue. The thing is that the motherboard was bought refurbished from Amazon Warehouse. I checked the BIOS and my CPU WAS F*CKING OVERCLOCKED TO 5 GHZ THIS HOLE TIME WITHOUT ME KNOWING IT. I'm gonna reset the motherboard now. I'm so sorry for this huge waste of time, i installed the cooler without any problems hence my frustration. No wonder why PC ALWAYS turns on the 2nd try not the 1st one and i even made a thread about it yesterday hahahah. 

3 minutes ago, Deffy said:

I am speechless. I have found the issue. The thing is that the motherboard was bought refurbished from Amazon Warehouse. I checked the BIOS and my CPU WAS F*CKING OVERCLOCKED TO 5 GHZ THIS HOLE TIME WITHOUT ME KNOWING IT. I'm gonna reset the motherboard now. I'm so sorry for this huge waste of time, i installed the cooler without any problems hence my frustration. No wonder why PC ALWAYS turns on the 2nd try not the 1st one and i even made a thread about it yesterday hahahah. 

5ghz will definitely account for heat, especially if you don't tune in your voltages. Auto-voltage can really bring your temps up. 9900k can hit 5ghz fairly easily, just keep try to keep the voltage under 1.4v for daily use. From what i've seen 9900k can hit 5ghz anywhere from 1.35v to 1.37v without much issue. It depends on the silicone mostly.

You might be lucky and able to run 5ghz at a much lower voltage, or you may need more volts to hit 5ghz

Either way if you want a 5ghz OC, i'd start at 1.37-1.36v and work your way down until it's unstable. If it's unstable at 1.36-1.37, you may need more voltage.

If you don't intend to overclock at all, just run off of cpu boost and you should still be fine

if you have further questions about overclocking, i'll do my best to answer (although i've never used that cpu), but it may be best to start a new thread about OC'ing that particular cpu