Corsair HX850 vs SeaSonic Prime Ultra 750 [Need Advice]

Mahde232

Hi there, in preparation for my new rig setup I've been stumbling upon many power supplies and with little knowledge I don't know which to choose.

The rig consist of:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (with option for overclocking)

GPU: Currently using a Sapphire RX580 LE, But I will be upgrading soon to (presumably) an RTX 2080 Super / Ti upon launch. (which option for overclocking)

3 Hard drives, 1 Sata SSD, and 1 NVMe SSD.

Cooler: H115i Platinum RGB AIO.

plus 4-5 case fans.

I've did a bit of research myself and found those 2 attractive PSU's which are "relatively" cheap compared to other SKU's available in my region and are pretty much the same price.

SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 750W 80+ Gold (SSR-750GD2)

vs

Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum HX850 (CP-9020138-EU)

I would like a tip on which to choose, and other cheap and good PSUs for my planned rig which can cut down the price are much appreciated.

I'd say hx, seasonic is single rail, lower efficiency and has a relatively cheap hong hua fan

but there's no need for that high of a wattage, 650 is more than sufficient

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'd say hx, seasonic is single rail, lower efficiency and has a relatively cheap hong hua fan

but there's no need for that high of a wattage, 650 is more than sufficient

Thanks for the fast response, I currently have a SeaSonic 620W one but it's bronze efficiency and i'm kinda reluctant on keeping it and causing future damage to my components...

what is your opinion on it?

No need for such high wattage with that system that will require <500w. 750w/850w generally only needed for multiple graphics cards.

6 minutes ago, Mahde232 said:

I've did a bit of research myself and found those 2 attractive PSU's which are "relatively" cheap compared to other SKU's available in my region and are pretty much the same price.

SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 750W 80+ Gold (SSR-750GD2)

vs

Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum HX850 (CP-9020138-EU) 

How much are they so we know what budget you're looking at?

How much for the Corsair HX750 Platinum (HX series starts at 750w)

Just now, Mahde232 said:

Thanks for the fast response, I currently have a SeaSonic 620W one but it's bronze efficiency and i'm kinda reluctant on keeping it and causing future damage to my components...

It's old and rather crappy. You're right to replace it if you're going with a high end system like a Ryzen 9 + RTX 2080 Super/Ti.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Mahde232 said:

i assume it's a s12ii or m12ii? that's no good tbh, no undervoltage protection, old platform and group regulation. what's available at 650w 80+ gold for you?

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i assume it's a s12ii or m12ii? that's no good tbh, no undervoltage protection, old platform and group regulation. what's available at 650w 80+ gold for you?

Yeah one of those.

Most of the 650W 80+ gold I've found available are somewhere around 15$-25$ cheaper, imo I don't think going this low in wattage and efficiency is worth the price reduction, I'd rather spend the extra buck or two and be future proof.

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No need for such high wattage with that system that will require <500w. 750w/850w generally only needed for multiple graphics cards.

How much are they so we know what budget you're looking at?

How much for the Corsair HX750 Platinum (HX series starts at 750w)

It's old and rather crappy. You're right to replace it if you're going with a high end system like a Ryzen 9 + RTX 2080 Super/Ti.

https://ksp.co.il/uin/46292 <- HX850 180$

https://ksp.co.il/?uin=46291 <- HX750 185$

for some reason the 750W one is actually more expensive...(???), I'm not familiar with refreshes and such, i've linked them, you can scroll a bit and see the specific model num for more info

sorry for the Israeli link it's just the shop that I buy from, I converted to USD but it's gotta be different than retail in other places in the world.

-------------------

I also forgot to mention that I'm trying to future proof this rig as much as possible so I don't really mind investing a bit more right now and just forget about it for atleast 4-5 years

3 minutes ago, Mahde232 said:

for some reason the 750W one is actually more expensive...(???) and it's specified as Gold not platinum...

The HX750 Gold is a different model. Much older, discontinued years ago. I'd be surprised if it was still in stock. The store you're buying from might not stock the HX750 80+ Platinum.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The HX750 Gold is a different model. Much older, discontinued years ago. I'd be surprised if it was still in stock. The store you're buying from might not stock the HX750 80+ Platinum.

I've edited the comment just a few seconds ago, you can check it again