Ultimate 900D Build - TTG

TheTechGenius

If you really need all that bandwidth for your PCI-E lanes, why not go for LGA 2011?

More native bandwidth > PLX chips

I would also recommend you look at other cases than the 900D, while it is good, The QC issues that corsair has and build quality issues I wouldn't go for that case in a higher end rig. Personally, I would recommend you look at cases from Caselabs. There build quality, QC, and options is not surpassed by anyone.

I have looked at CaseLab cases and I have to say that I wasn't to impressed. But since I haven't owned one or never seen one in person, I can't really say to much about them. Some of them do look really good, and the MAGNUM SMH10 from Caselabs looks very similar to the 900D, but from the looks of it, it doesn't have the Triple Rad mount in the front. And I really don't want a cube case, I am trying to avoid those cube cases at all costs (Not saying the MAGNUM SMH10 is a cube case).

I just trust Corsair and their products. I am trying to avoid as much case modding as possible, I already have enough modding to do with all the other things I am doing with this build, such as ALL the cable sleeving.

However, I will be taking a more in-depth look into CaseLabs to see what they are about, and also check out as many written and video reviews I can about CaseLab cases. I like to know everything I can about a product such as a PC Case, before I make my final decision.

But thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

I love my son so much, I wish I could give him the world. And to him, a custom gaming PC is the world. lol

I built a gaming PC for my son last year too, its a beast. It has an i7 3770K, x2 GTX 660s SLI- Upgraded him to x2 GTX 680s in SLI, 16GB G.Skill RAM, Asrock Extreme 4 mobo, in a Corsair 650D, with a full custom liquid cooling loop. He plays a bunch of games, MineCraft, Garrys Mod, Left 4 Dead 2, GTA4, COD, games like that. And with a build like the one I am building, he will be amazed with everything you can do, like the Triple 3D Monitor setup. lol. And the PC will be on his desk, its not like its going to be going anywhere. Trust me, its not leaving that desk. Its going to be to heavy, and cost to much money to be moved anywhere. lol

I always taught my son to take care of his things. Check this out, do you know how little kids leave finger prints on CDs and DVDs, because they don't know how to handle them?

When my son picks up a Disc (Cd or Dvd), he picks it up by the center ring, so one finger is in the ring, and another finger is on the outer edge of the Disc, so there is no finger prints. He takes good care of his things, he is also VERY smart for his age. Trust me, I wouldn't be building such an expensive PC for him, if I knew he wouldn't take care of it. And I am far from rich, I have been saving for an entire year for this build, and i get my Income Tax check within a few weeks.

Right on man they are only young once even though he's only 5 he will always remember the computers his daddy built for him. Good luck on this project and don't forget the pictures.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

I have looked at CaseLab cases and I have to say that I wasn't to impressed. But since I haven't owned one or never seen one in person, I can't really say to much about them. Some of them do look really good, and the MAGNUM SMH10 from Caselabs looks very similar to the 900D, but from the looks of it, it doesn't have the Triple Rad mount in the front. And I really don't want a cube case, I am trying to avoid those cube cases at all costs (Not saying the MAGNUM SMH10 is a cube case).

I just trust Corsair and their products. I am trying to avoid as much case modding as possible, I already have enough modding to do with all the other things I am doing with this build, such as ALL the cable sleeving.

However, I will be taking a more in-depth look into CaseLabs to see what they are about, and also check out as many written and video reviews I can about CaseLab cases. I like to know everything I can about a product such as a PC Case, before I make my final decision.

But thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!

I have an SMH10, and I can promise you that build quality on Caselabs is freaking

sublime, nothing else I've seen and/or handled even  comes close. They do cost

a  fortune,  especially  once you  start  fitting  them out  with  accessory  this  and

accessory  that, but IMHO it's worth every penny (I realize of course that this is for

each person to decide for themselves, but that's my stance on the subject).

As for radiator mounts: I have  two 560  radiators in the bottom of my SMH10, the

PSU in the front and one 480 radiator in the top.

Since  you are  intending to use an ATX form factor M/B, I would recommend you

have a look at the SMA8. It's basically  the same  case AFAIK, but with an ATX tray

instead  of an  XL-ATX or HPTX,  so you have a  bit more room above the M/B tray

for a radiator (if you go  with reverse  ATX,  that difference won't be as significant

though).

If I had a smaller M/B, I could mount the PSU a bit further back, which would allow

me to  have another 360  radiator in  the front, for a grand total of two 560's, one

480 and  one  360.  Depending  on  motherboard  form factor and on whether or

not  you get  one  of the  extended roofs (39 mm or 120 mm, though personally I

think the 120 mm  roof looks  a bit awkward), the radiator  in the top could vary in

thickness.

To give you  a bit more  ideas about  radiator arrangements in the SMH10/SMA8, I

can  recommend  Akira's  Ergo  Proxy build  log on  OCN, or my own here. There's

also a list of build logs on Caselabs' site itself I think.

Not that you  absolutely,  positively need to go with a CL case, but since I actually

have one I thought I'd share my experience and  impressions to enable you to at

least  make a well-informed decision.  If you  don't  like  their style that's perfectly

alright, but  I can  promise you that quality-wise  they are  miles and  miles  above

everyone  else on  the  market at the moment. Oh  and yes,  the  probability  that

you'd need to mod the case is marginally low unless you have some very esoteric

demands.  The  only  objective  drawback  is  their  price, but  you do actually get

what you pay for.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

why do you need 2tb of ssd space....... 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 2 weeks later...

why do you need 2tb of ssd space....... 

I must download around 3TB every 3 months, maybe even more. I download a lot. lol

And the more SSD Storage I have, the more programs and games I can put on there, the faster the games and programs will load. I am a speed freak when it comes to computers, I hate waiting more then 5 seconds for a program or game to load, it drives me insane.

So 2TB of fast SSD Storage is great, because I can put "All" of the games and programs I use the most on the SSDs.

NOTE: When I say "I", I mean "My Son", since this build is going to him after its finished.

Just a little update, I have bought the Case, Motherboard, and RAM.

I also have the GPU's, but they sent me the wrong ones, so I have to send them back. I also have the CPU, CPU Block, most of the fittings, but im still waiting for a lot of stuff to get here. I am thinking about going Straight Hard Tubing, and instead of bending the tubing, ill use a lot of different angled fittings. I am still thinking about what color fittings to get though, Black or Silver. If I get silver, I will have to use polish on them to get them shinning, but thats not a big deal.

I also received some of my Sleeving supplies, I got the black sleeving, still waiting on the red to get here. I am still waiting on the Sleeving Tools and the other Sleeving supplies to arrive. I have already bought them though.

I am thinking about if I should get the 900D powdered coated or not. I want to get it done a Dark Red, the ROG Red. Or maybe just the inside of the case ROG Red, im not sure yet. I will let you know. 

More updates in a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

After just finishing my first build seeing this build is insane i can't wait to see this beast take shape :) your son is pretty lucky to have a awesome dad like you 
All the best in the build, Can't wait for the pics 

Motherboard - AsRock Z87 EXTREME4 CPU - Intel core i7 4770k Oc 4.4ghz GPU - Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x RAM - Corsair LP Vengange 8Gb CPU Cooler - Swiftech H220 PSU - Coolmaster V650S SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250gb HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb Case - Fractal Design R4 Black Windowed

Don't waste your money on getting 4 SSD's. It's not worth it and you won't get much of a performance boost and risk losing everything if one of the drives fails. Stick to two and use the money elsewhere or save it.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Club Penguin.

Club *a Penguin FTFY.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

I think if you're going that all out, jump up to 2011

I might go to LGA 2011, but im not sure yet. But it is a option, and I am thinking about it.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/8/2015 at 7:08 AM, JT8101997 said:

Did you ever finish this build? it sounded pretty cool.

yeah did you?