Add-on cards' brackets are misaligned to the slots alotted to them

Hi guys,

I know that title doesn't make sense, but hopefully this picture will help. Before I get to that, do note that I did not break them. I removed the bracket to show where it should go VS where it actually goes. 

12196537654_44f0dd841e_o.jpg

I hope that conveys what I'm trying to show you.

The motheboard is fully screwed in correctly as the I/O shield fits perfectly. If I move it down to line up the slots to the bracket openings, the I/O shield wouldn't fit. 

This is the motherboard. This is the add-on card. It's in a 3U server rack case. I don't see how I'm supposed to secure the cards without the brackets.

The motherboard is ATX and fits perfectly everywhere else. This confuses me so. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

what case do you have? and which motherboard?

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

what case do you have? and which motherboard?

This is the motherboard. This is the add-on card. It's in a 3U server rack case. I don't see how I'm supposed to secure the cards without the brackets.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It looks like the PCB on the cards are either; forgot the specific word for it... my bad or the motherboard stand-offs aren't accurate at all.

That is some weird mis-alignment and dafuq...

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Oh this is for that upcoming build isn't it with the tonne of hard drives. Damn you Vitalius for covering your uber amount of ram modules. Looks a bit weird. it should be an industry standard but since the motherboard isn't ATX spec no it is but the design isn't correct. That isn't  a ATX standard board Quad channel ram in a horizontal placement plus a cpu underneath it. I think that the case you bought isn't right at all. You should've got a server tray.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

I've been looking into designing a motherboard feature list for 2011(SB-E/IB-E)/2011-3 I have a PDF showing me the holes for the stand-offs and that server motherboard doesn't quite add up. The cards look like they're drooping.

@Vitalius just to clarify if it is a true atx motherboard how many screws did you install?

@Vitalius just to clarify if it is a true atx motherboard how many screws did you install?

I'm not at work right now, so I can't count it, but I remember 6-8. 

This layout, except minus the bottom row because I didn't feel the need to screw those in yet (I will once it's all finished).

29fig02.gif

† Christian Member †

Why're you liking simple posts like mine don't worry bro, just say "thanks I appreciate your post :D" No need to like it -_-

I think I only saw about 4 screw holes. BTW it only has 6 screws it's missing 3 of them off of the right right. And I think the one in the middle top of the PCB is covered.

13-182-230-05.jpg

Unusual looking motherboard. Oh any new updates with your upcoming server at all?

The words 3U server rack case is the issue.  did you buy it or purposes it.  Pretty much all major vendors like dell have propitiatory motherboards in enterprise stuff.  they basically move things around to be difficult or maximize stability or what ever reason they are giving.

I know the motherbaord is  Super Micro Computer but whats the case.

It's probably a issue with the addin cards, or the motherboard layout is really dodgy, just duct tape it; duct tape fixes everything.

also what's that poleystyreine looking stuff above the top card?

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

The motherboard is fine, expansion bays and slot spacing are standardized, and yours completely fits the specifications. The problem is the add-on cards. When you look at a standard add-on card, the components and bracket are supposed to face down. The two cards you bought were made for a select few propitiatory non-ATX motherboards, none of which you have. Your best option is to return the cards and order a non Supermicro brand replacement if you must use that site. All of the other Supermicro brand cards on that site are not compatible. I hope this clears a few things up.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Unusual looking motherboard. Oh any new updates with your upcoming server at all?

It's a server board. This is the server. Working on it.

Perhaps the problem is that the card is not compatible with the motherboard. At least that is what http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS2-L8i.cfm?TYP=E seems to suggest.

And that just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm sure the card will work regardless, but still.

The words 3U server rack case is the issue.  did you buy it or purposes it.  Pretty much all major vendors like dell have propitiatory motherboards in enterprise stuff.  they basically move things around to be difficult or maximize stability or what ever reason they are giving.

I know the motherbaord is  Super Micro Computer but whats the case.

We bought it. It fits ATX specifications fine. We had a normal ASUS ATX motherboard in it before. It not fitting doesn't make sense to me in this case (pun intended).

It's probably a issue with the addin cards, or the motherboard layout is really dodgy, just duct tape it; duct tape fixes everything.

also what's that poleystyreine looking stuff above the top card?

Coffee Filter. It's covering the CPU. We are waiting on the Heatsink. Don't want it to get dirty.

The motherboard is fine, expansion bays and slot spacing are standardized, and yours completely fits the specifications. The problem is the add-on cards. When you look at a standard add-on card, the components and bracket are supposed to face down. The two cards you bought were made for a select few propitiatory non-ATX motherboards, none of which you have. Your best option is to return the cards and order a non Supermicro brand replacement if you must use that site. All of the other Supermicro brand cards on that site are not compatible. I hope this clears a few things up.

And again, that doesn't make sense to me. Even though it's apparently true. Supermicro HBA card. Supermicro motherboard. You'd think they would just go together.

Just use it without the shields. It doesn't make that much of a difference.

I want the shields for stability. Unless there's some other way of getting that without ghetto rigging it.

† Christian Member †

It's a server board. This is the server. Working on it.

And that just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm sure the card will work regardless, but still.

We bought it. It fits ATX specifications fine. We had a normal ASUS ATX motherboard in it before. It not fitting doesn't make sense to me in this case (pun intended).

Coffee Filter. It's covering the CPU. We are waiting on the Heatsink. Don't want it to get dirty.

And again, that doesn't make sense to me. Even though it's apparently true. Supermicro HBA card. Supermicro motherboard. You'd think they would just go together.

I want the shields for stability. Unless there's some other way of getting that without ghetto rigging it.

It may not make sense to you but it is reality. The page you linked from the vendor clearly lists compatibility of the card and the motherboard is not on that list. If you look at the card you should immediately notice that the pcb is on the left side of the bracket looking from the front to back of the card, something I cannot ever recall seeing on another ATX card.

If you cannot return or exchange the  cards you might try selling them.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

According to the specs of the SATA card:

Compatible UIO Motherboards: X8DTU, X8DTN+, X7DWU

those are not standard ATX.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

It may not make sense to you but it is reality. The page you linked from the vendor clearly lists compatibility of the card and the motherboard is not on that list. If you look at the card you should immediately notice that the pcb is on the left side of the bracket looking from the front to back of the card, something I cannot ever recall seeing on another ATX card.

If you cannot return or exchange the  cards you might try selling them.

Well, I'm pretty certain the cards themselves will work fine with the motherboard. The incompatibility probably comes along with the form factor, so brackets don't work. 

We are probably not gonna bother with that and just use the cards anyway, sans the brackets. I would've preferred their sturdiness, but the 3U case isn't going to be turned sideways, so it shouldn't matter. 

"notice that the pcb is on the left side of the bracket...." 

I have no idea what you are saying there. The PCB layout looks the same to me. I'm probably just misunderstanding what you are talking about though. Here's a picture for how they sit in the motherboard when installed without brackets:

12209098165_90b1698ac5_o.jpg

According to the specs of the SATA card:

Compatible UIO Motherboards: X8DTU, X8DTN+, X7DWU

those are not standard ATX.

Very true. I must've completely missed that. My bad. 

Thank you all for the help. Apparently UIO is Universal Input Output (IIRC) which is obviously different from what ATX boards use.

† Christian Member †

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Facepalm.png

Well, I feel dumb. It didn't look strange to me. You guys are right. My bad again. For some reason, I thought it looked normal.

† Christian Member †