I need your help to help me prevent my father from getting mcafee

brownninja97

So here is the low down, the antivirus software needs to be updated, i told him to get rid of mcafee, it bloats your pc and the protection is merely sub par.

my recommendation is Malware bytes pro+ any free anti virus + web of trust.

Since ive gotten these ive had no crap on my pc, not even close anyways, it seems the opinion from only me will not work so i need the help of you guys to show him that we dont need these bloatware companies that offer services that arent needed anymore.

After i get some replies im gonna show this to my father, he needs to know the opinion from more then one tech literate person, i think he might not fully trust me as im 16.

Anyways your help would be awesome and try not to get too in grosses, he know about computers but not a lot.

Update: I just destroyed him in an arguement, man to man i just showed him how mcafee is failing at every step, considering how important his role is at the place he works security is a big thing, lets just say if the wrong person got his details then they destroy the lives to millions of people. That and he is about to eat dinner im about to install malwarebytes, quarantine the jesus out of mcafee and uninstall that pathetic garbage to hell.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Tell him to go look up some reviews.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

If he wants a decent firewall he's going to have to pay. 

Whatever he decides make sure he gives you one of his keys :) Free added protection. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

No they are full of either paid reviews or clueless people.

Antivirus is pointless overall since files don't end up on your computer randomly. Just use your head and don't click on anything that seems to good to be true because it never is.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

The best antivirus is your common sense, but I go with Avast and Malwarebytes/Spybot for the rest of the time.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

If he wants a decent firewall he's going to have to pay. 

Whatever he decides make sure he gives you one of his keys :) Free added protection. 

You want me to use mcafee, lets go back a few months.

gallery_16690_89_159975.jpg

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

tell him his brain is the best anti virus.

ive done so multiple times, not sure if he has listened yet.

Listen if you care.

Review sites are paid off my anti virus giants for years now, there is very dark history behind anti virus companies, that is a fact

Listen if you care.

downclock to 2 ghz and install some viruses, adwares, worms, trojans and virut. then tell him this is how mccafee performs

dont forget to install any tab you can find on internet

i am joking

downclock to 2 ghz and install some viruses. then tell him this is how mccafee performs

can you do that with a i7 2600non k

Listen if you care.

I have all safety features provided by Windows disabled and run just MalwareBytes Pro, never had any virus infiltrate my system.

http://www.nsanedown.com/?request=16106013

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

i thought mcaffee was a good anti virus software whats wrong with it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Just tell him to install free Avast antivirus. I use it for years & works very well. Catches viruses on some suspicious sites before they get in your PC.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

can you do that with a i7 2600non k

yeah why not

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Tell him to look at my post. I do this for a living. Mcafe is complete crap. There is a reason the founder thinks the program is a joke. Another reason why Intel, a huge PC name, dropped McAfe as s security sponsor.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

You want me to use mcafee, lets go back a few months.

gallery_16690_89_159975.jpg

No I meant he could opt into something like Avast Pro or BitDefender. I'm just saying paid software does have some merits, and you could benefit too

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Just tell him to install free Avast antivirus. I use it for years & works very well. Catches viruses on some suspicious sites before they get in your PC.

Both of these are trashy bloatware to say the least

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

They have limited knowledge in the field of rootkits and malware, they pay review sites and suck up to them, they bog down your desktop speed, doesnt come with a full uninstaller, it added bullshit to your registry and you dont wanna screw around in the registry for long.

Listen if you care.

Tell him to look at my post. I do this for a living. Mcafe is complete crap. There is a reason the founder thinks the program is a joke. Another reason why Intel, a huge PC name, dropped McAfe as s security sponsor.

Ive shown him tech-vets, two web masters to have put the three stage combo on thousands of pcs, sadly he doesnt seem to understand that these people that get paid for security are wrong and he is right, yes he thinks he has more knowledge then some web masters with around 100,000 computers under their belts protected.

Listen if you care.

They have limited knowledge in the field of rootkits and malware, they pay review sites and suck up to them, they bog down your desktop speed, doesnt come with a full uninstaller, it added bullshit to your registry and you dont wanna screw around in the registry for long.

thanks the reason i asked was because it was on my dads old computer that he got from a friend about 7 or 8 years ago

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Both of these are trashy bloatware to say the least

Avast is great, don't know what you are talking about. It's widely accepted as one of the best free antivirus programs out there.

I haven't payed for virus protection for about three or four years, using Malwarebytes and MSE. Before then, I got about 3-4 trojans using McAfee.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Avast is great, don't know what you are talking about. It's widely accepted as one of the best free antivirus programs out there.

Internet Explorer is widely accepted as the go-to browser.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea, though.

-Mewtwo