Router randomly resets, should I get a new router?

Matt64091

I currently use my ISP's given router, but its been "acting up lately". Every so often it will just randomly decide to completely reset. My internet will cut out, and I look over (my router/modem is right next to my PC monitors) to see that it is rebooting. My question is should I contact my ISP, or just cough up the cash and buy a new router? I planned on buying my own router anyways, but I don't want to fork up $80-$150 on a new router if it won't likely fix the issue. My theory is that the router I have now keeps overheating, and thats why it randomly reboots. This is just a theory though, I know nothing about networking.

NOTE: When I say router in this, I mean a router/modem combo (also known as a gateway?) Also, if you want to throw a router/modem suggestion my way I would appreciate it (Only have 50 MBps internet, but need wifi for my family). My current ISP rented router is ARRIS TG1672.

It sounds like its overheating, is it well ventilated? Are you keeping it in a cool place?

How old is it? I'd contact ISP for replacement.

Of course you could get a DOCSIS3 modem/gateway yourself. Check with your ISP to make sure they allow it.

-アパゾ

1 minute ago, .Ocean said:

It sounds like its overheating, is it well ventilated? Are you keeping it in a cool place?

It's literally out in the "open", on top of my desk. Thing is though I live on the second floor. I do keep my AC on though. It's not even near my PC desktop tower, so its not getting any heat from there. It is next to the wall, maybe I should move it further from it?

Just now, APasz said:

How old is it? I'd contact ISP for replacement.

Of course you could get a DOCSIS3 modem/gateway yourself. Check with your ISP to make sure they allow it.

That is a good question. Maybe around 2-4 years old?

Faulty then. Modems are meant to last for at least 5-7 years.

-アパゾ