Asus Q550LF

AUG

I recently bought a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD to upgrade my 5-year-old laptop and a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter cable so I could transfer all my data from my laptops HDD, but when I try to plug in the SSD my laptop won't read it. Please help.

Did you format the drive and assign it a drive letter?

Are you trying to clone the hdd?

Moved to Storage Devices.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The easiest way to see if the drive itself is detected may be by using the "Create and Format Hard Drive Partitions" shortcut in your Windows-menu (can also be reached through Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management (in there there should be a "Disk Management" option on the left-hand panel).

It may well be as soon as you open that panel it will tell you one or more drive(s) haven't been initialized and wether you'd like to do so.
Once you've done that you may also still have to rightclick the newly initialized disk and select "New Simple Volume" and follow the wizard to format a new partition.

Once that's all done i'd like to expect your drive to be ready for use :)