Need help with headphones

Gilianz
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Ok, I think for financial constraint I will be purchasing the AD700x for gaming and general music listening. As well as a Blue Snowflake for a good mic without the super high price tag. Now... what to do with my old gaming headset... hrm.

Monty-Python-Burn-Her.jpg

Hello, I am new to the Linustechtips forums (as you may have noticed) but I am in need of help. I have read the sticky and am still a complete and utter audio noob. I currently use a CM Storm Sirus Headset for gaming/music and everything else that involves audio while I am on the PC. I am looking at improving my audio quality by switching to headphones with a mic. In total I am looking at spending probably a max of $300 for everything I need. I have looked at some headphones already and am considering Sennheiser or Audio Technica.

I am also unsure whether or not I will be needing a sound card. I currently do not have any sort of sound card/dac and am also needing to know will my sound quality/mic quality improve with a sound card. If you do think that a sound card would be beneficial, do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks again for the help!

Which motherboard do you have? Depending on the motherboard we can figure out if you need an amplifier or not. Also, what kind of music do you listen too? 

Everything I post is based of bits and pieces I've read somewhere else.

I have most likely never tested any of the things I recommend or advise against.

Think of me as a information relay, I read it, process it, then post it. 

Hello, I am new to the Linustechtips forums (as you may have noticed) but I am in need of help. I have read the sticky and am still a complete and utter audio noob. I currently use a CM Storm Sirus Headset for gaming/music and everything else that involves audio while I am on the PC. I am looking at improving my audio quality by switching to headphones with a mic. In total I am looking at spending probably a max of $300 for everything I need. I have looked at some headphones already and am considering Sennheiser or Audio Technica.

I am also unsure whether or not I will be needing a sound card. I currently do not have any sort of sound card/dac and am also needing to know will my sound quality/mic quality improve with a sound card. If you do think that a sound card would be beneficial, do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks again for the help!

The audio-technica ATH-AG1 or ATH-ADG1 should be good.

Which motherboard do you have? Depending on the motherboard we can figure out if you need an amplifier or not. Also, what kind of music do you listen too? 

I can't remember off the top of my head but it is either an Asus Z87-A or Z87-Plus. I listen to dance/trance music and a little bit of everything really. Also I have considered getting the gaming headsets that they plan to come out with (or are already out) but I can't justify spending $300 just for a gaming headset as opposed to something I can use on the go.

I really do like the ATH-ADG1 (open back one I think) but I have never spend that much for a gaming headset. Knowing the quality of Audio Technica I have no doubt that it would last for a very long time. it would be a worth while investment. I really appreciate the help you guys are offering!

Audiotechinca's ATH-ADG1 and ATH-AG1 are just ATH-AD700X and ATH-A700X respectively with a mic attached. I would advise against spending such a high premium for that integrated mic.

The Sennheiser PC 360 is the only decently-priced headset, imo. If you really like audio-technica, thouh, you should be looking at getting a Blue Snowflake, or waiting for ModMics to come back in stock, and just picking up a regular headphone.

Ok, so getting a ATH-A700x with a modmic or a blue snowflake would be better? Would I still need a soundcard or DAC?

Ok, so getting a ATH-A700x with a modmic or a blue snowflake would be better? Would I still need a soundcard or DAC?

I don't think you will see a huge benefit of a dedicated source. If you feel like grabbig something just to make sure, the FiiO E10 is relatively cheap and pretty good. I usually use it with a really long USB cable instead of more expensive equipment.

Ok so what would you recommend for stand alone mic and headphones if I don't need a sound card? I'd probably do the budget to like $250 or lower then

I would recommend a Blue Snowflake/Snowball (or random cheap-ass table/clip-on/mod-mic, this will be sufficient enough for skype and such) for mic and a DT990 or the ATH700x for headphones. Both of these are open which is great for gaming (positional audio), however I don't know if the DT990 will fit with your budget. The difference between these is that the DT990 has more bass (I'm figuring this out of reviews, might be wrong. But someone will correct me if so.) While the ATH700x is more neutral, and the construction is different. The ATH-700x uses "flaps" to keep itself on your head, some have found this annoying for smaller heads since they will slip down. But there is a solution for everything! The solution!.

Your motherboard will handle audio quality just fine so no need for external DAC. But you might need an amplifier for the DT990 250 Ohms version. Don't buy the 32 Ohms, not worth it.

So if you want the DT990, buy them first, test them, if more Ohmpf is needed buy FiiO E10. I have the DT990 with the FiiO E10 so this is a Slightly (very) biased recommendation. 

Everything I post is based of bits and pieces I've read somewhere else.

I have most likely never tested any of the things I recommend or advise against.

Think of me as a information relay, I read it, process it, then post it. 

The audio-technica ATH-AG1 or ATH-ADG1 should be good.

Way overpriced.

OP - Grab HE-400's and a blue snowflake, will be a little bit overbudget, but totally worth it. Grab an amp later down the road.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I will probably pick up the ATH700x and a Blue Snowflake in a month or two. Or get an orange colored Blue Snowball with the ATH700x.

Edit: Is the Snowflake a clip mic? Or what I mean to say is that will it clip on to the top of a monitor like a webcam? And how well does it hold/pic up audio? I would probably be about 2-3 feet away from the mic, I think.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I will probably pick up the ATH700x and a Blue Snowflake in a month or two. Or get an orange colored Blue Snowball with the ATH700x.

Edit: Is the Snowflake a clip mic? Or what I mean to say is that will it clip on to the top of a monitor like a webcam? And how well does it hold/pic up audio? I would probably be about 2-3 feet away from the mic, I think.

The base does have a rounded hook-like end, which is meant to sit on top of your monitor like a webcam. My LG monitor's bezel is too thick for my snowball to go over, so I just leave my snowball on the monitor base.

It picks up your voice pretty good, but it also picks up all the other noise in your room. Thus, voice activation detection (push to talk is even better though) is kinda necessary.

The base does have a rounded hook-like end, which is meant to sit on top of your monitor like a webcam. My LG monitor's bezel is too thick for my snowball to go over, so I just leave my snowball on the monitor base.

It picks up your voice pretty good, but it also picks up all the other noise in your room. Thus, voice activation detection (push to talk is even better though) is kinda necessary.

Oh ok, so having the mic on top of your monitor say like 2-3 feet away will still pic up your voice well? And PTT is no issue as I use it already unless it is not an option such as in Hangouts or Skype.

Edit: Are the AKG K612 better than the ATH700x? they are on massdrop for 180 at the moment.

Edit 2: I see that there is minimal difference from the Snowball Ice vs the Snowball. If I only use this for VoIP would the snowflake be worth it considering the Snowball is $50 and the Snowflake is $40? My desk is slightly cramped. I would probably have to move it behind something or it would be sitting where I usually have my water cup. 

Oh ok, so having the mic on top of your monitor say like 2-3 feet away will still pic up your voice well? And PTT is no issue as I use it already unless it is not an option such as in Hangouts or Skype.

Edit: Are the AKG K612 better than the ATH700x? they are on massdrop for 180 at the moment.

Edit 2: I see that there is minimal difference from the Snowball Ice vs the Snowball. If I only use this for VoIP would the snowflake be worth it considering the Snowball is $50 and the Snowflake is $40? My desk is slightly cramped. I would probably have to move it behind something or it would be sitting where I usually have my water cup. 

You could have it off to the side with the only issue being you'd have to have a higher volume on it, making ambient noise a little more.. noisy for the people you talk to. the best option is to have it closer to your mouth with a lower volume. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Yep! I sometimes lay in bed ~6 feet away, friends still hear me, though obviously I need to speak up a bit.

They're different, but which is "better" is a matter of personal preference. My personal preference will sway towards the audio-techinca for build quality reasons, but I think the AKG sounds better.

The Snowball sounds slightly better, no doubt about it, but it's bigger and more expensive. ($10 can buy you a nice lunch in some places). The snowflake is more than sufficient for VoIP, but I wouldn't want to record a professional video with it.

Ok, I think for financial constraint I will be purchasing the AD700x for gaming and general music listening. As well as a Blue Snowflake for a good mic without the super high price tag. Now... what to do with my old gaming headset... hrm.

Monty-Python-Burn-Her.jpg