External hdd issue on rpi4

michadevries
Go to solution Solved by michadevries,
2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

But it works on windows? Maybe try reformatting it in windows.

it works fine on windows indeed, reformatting doesnt seem to help too. but strangely enough it is now being detected again, so i guess the issue solved itself

Hi,

I know there may already be some threads about this, but i've been searching all day, but no single thread fits my issue.

I've just recieved a rpi4 1gb and my wd elements portable 1tb external hdd. now, at first it was detected and automaticly mounted, then it was only detected, but i was still able to mount it, now its not detected at all...

also it makes ticks/clicks when i try to use it with a rpi or any other linux based computer. though when i hook it up to my pc (windows 10), it works perfectly fine without any ticks at all.

I'm trying to create a samba share, i had it working when it was detected but not mounted automaticly, but then it also stopped working again.

Smart tests are all fine and its formatted in ntfs, ive tried ext4 too, but that didnt seem to work either...

Anything you guys can think of?

~Micha

5 minutes ago, michadevries said:

also it makes ticks/clicks when i try to use it with a rpi or any other linux based computer. though when i hook it up to my pc (windows 10), it works perfectly fine without any ticks at all.

It may not be receiving quite enough power from the Pi. Make sure the power-supply you're using for the Pi can push enough amps and you're using a high-quality cable.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It may not be receiving quite enough power from the Pi. Make sure the power-supply you're using for the Pi can push enough amps and you're using a high-quality cable.

i dont think thats the issue, since it also fails to work on a normal desktop linux pc

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

But it works on windows? Maybe try reformatting it in windows.

it works fine on windows indeed, reformatting doesnt seem to help too. but strangely enough it is now being detected again, so i guess the issue solved itself