Decent computer case?

Andrew Tazy

I am looking for a decent computer case, something that can fit an rx 580 and an atx motherboard as well as having multiple fan mounting locations and is able to cool an overclocked ryzen 5 2600x.

If you need more information please let me know.

I am upgrading my current pc and the case I have can only mount a total of 4 fans, 1 front 120mm, 2 top 120mm and 1 rear 120mm (I think).

I am looking at these cases but don't know which too choose or if I should be looking at another case;

https://www.ebuyer.com/809539-riotoro-cr1088-prism-mini-tower-cr1088

or

https://www.ebuyer.com/832491-thermaltake-core-x31-mid-tower-case-ca-1e9-00m1wn-00

or

https://www.ebuyer.com/822225-corsair-carbide-series-spec-04-computer-cases-ebuyer-cc-9011117-ww

or something completely different?

Many Thanks

On 7/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, Andrew Tazy said:

I am looking for a decent computer case, something that can fit an rx 580 and an atx motherboard as well as having multiple fan mounting locations and is able to cool an overclocked ryzen 5 2600x.

Here are some suggestions. I'm assuming a UK budget of around 60 pounds based on the links you provided. (The corsair option is the best of the three overall, the Riotoro second and the thermaltake last)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHmxFT/fractal-design-focus-g-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bk-w (case comes in a few colors too)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/w766Mp/phanteks-eclipse-p350x-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec350ptg_dbk

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/QYzkcf/cooler-master-masterbox-mb511-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case-mcb-b511d-kgnn-rgb (65 euros)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6qPKHx/cooler-master-masterbox-mb500-atx-mid-tower-case-mcb-b500d-kgnn-s00

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9CCD4D/cooler-master-masterbox-k500-atx-mid-tower-case-mcb-k500d-kgnn-s00

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

If you do go with the Corsair SPEC-04, I would try 2 fans in the front (top 2 slots), 1 in the top (rear slot), and 1 in the rear.  This config should work well depending on what components you have in the chassis.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

Fractal Design Focus G is my case of choice for most builds. It's got plenty of room for cable management, can fit most cards as is and can fit any card with the HDD cage removed (there are 2 SSD mounts behind the MB tray). It's got enough space for an AIO CPU cooler if desired and a deep recess on the side panel for cable management and light controllers.
The only time I go away from that is if someone wants full water cooling or a really long card but refuses to give up their HDD.

22 minutes ago, SparkShot said:

Fractal Design Focus G is my case of choice for most builds. It's got plenty of room for cable management, can fit most cards as is and can fit any card with the HDD cage removed (there are 2 SSD mounts behind the MB tray). It's got enough space for an AIO CPU cooler if desired and a deep recess on the side panel for cable management and light controllers.
The only time I go away from that is if someone wants full water cooling or a really long card but refuses to give up their HDD.

My current specs are as follows;

• CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
  • M/B: Asrock B450M-HDV R1.20
  • GPU: Palit (I think) GTX 1050-ti
  • RAM: 16GB Crucial
  • PSU: 550W
  • HDD1: Seagate Barracuda Green (I think its green) 1TB
  • HDD2: Seagate Black 1TB 

However I am looking to upgrade, my upgraded specs would probably be;

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 or 2600x
  • M/B: better motherboard with 4 ddr4 ram slots and better vrms
  • GPU: rx 580 or rtx 2060
  • RAM: 16GB Crucial - adding another 16gb in the future
  • PSU: 550W - IF it has to be upgraded for the new components, then 600+
  • HDD1: Seagate Barracuda Green (I think its green) 1TB  - Wouldn't change right now
  • HDD2: Seagate Black 1TB - Wouldn't change right now

I am working with hard drives and would require the hard drive cage, I don't water cool can't deal with it right now as , limited budget as well as kids running around in and out of my room and around the PC all the time would want it to get damaged and just can't get my self into building a water cooled pc right now.

I wouldn't be upgrading to an ssd due to its price and limiting life span while it is fast, I can deal with "slow" hdd speeds even though I don't really feel like my hdd's are slow but eh.

Thank you for your suggestion.

~Andrew

55 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

If you do go with the Corsair SPEC-04, I would try 2 fans in the front (top 2 slots), 1 in the top (rear slot), and 1 in the rear.  This config should work well depending on what components you have in the chassis.

• HDD1: Seagate Barracuda Green (I think its green) 1TB  - Wouldn't change right now

(Still looking at the cases)

7 minutes ago, Andrew Tazy said:

I am working with hard drives and would require the hard drive cage, I don't water cool can't deal with it right now as , limited budget as well as kids running around in and out of my room and around the PC all the time would want it to get damaged and just can't get my self into building a water cooled pc right now.

I wouldn't be upgrading to an ssd due to its price and limiting life span while it is fast, I can deal with "slow" hdd speeds even though I don't really feel like my hdd's are slow but eh.

Thank you for your suggestion.

~Andrew

My GTX 1080SC is a full inch and a half longer than the GTX 2080. You'd be able to keep the cage, no problem. Without an AIO, this case is quite spacious for easy cable runs and will have great air flow for a decent sized air cooler.

@Andrew Tazy - Since you're planning to keep your cage for the 3.5" HDD's, you can run a stock cooler or upgrade to an AIO like the Corsair H60 2018 and run the radiator in the rear.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

13 hours ago, Andrew Tazy said:

@Corsair Nick @SparkShot @TVwazhere

OH! I should also mention my current cpu is overclocked and I might be overclokcing my gpu too which I will also do with the new cpu&gpu (and possibly ram)

The 2200G isnt a super hot chip, the upgraded 2600/3600 will definitely be warmer but as long as your case has somewhat decewnt airflow you should be good. I'd recommend an upgraded air tower if you plan on really overclocking them, as the wraith spire (assuming thats what the 3600 comes with, the 2600 only came with the stealth) is decent enough for a mild overclock, but to push the CPU you'll want something with more mass and a bigger fan (Cryorig H7, Arctic Freezer 34 Esports, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black)

Any of the suggested cases on this thread would be good for that build. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The 2200G isnt a super hot chip

@TVwazhere

When playing Rainbow Six Siege at medium settings with my 2200G (Current cpu) overclocked to 3.9Ghz from 3.5Ghz(Base clock) over 1.4 volts reaches 70 degrees celcius, which to me is pretty hot. I will be purchasing a new cpu cooler for the 3600 to make sure I can keep its temps lower when overclocked.

I have overclocked through my Asrock B450M-HDV R1.20's BIOS.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Tazy said:

@TVwazhere

overclocked to 3.9Ghz over 1.4 volts reaches 70 degrees celcius, which to me is pretty hot.

Thats actually very cool considering the voltage you're pushing through it with a stock cooler, but it's not like the 2200G is a powerhouse of a chip. I personally consider anything under 75ºC cool

I've confirmed the 3600 does come with that same Wraith Stealth cooler though, so it definitely will need an upgrade, however if you're planing on OCing it and you think 70ºC is too hot, you're probably going to have to ramp up the fan speeds to get temps under that.