slient mechanical keyboard

TheBean

I really want a mechanical keyboard. I have heard that they area great to type on. However, I hate how they are very loud. I currently have a laptop and the membrane switches are so much quieter. Are there any types of mechanical switches that are as quiet as laptop keyboards? I do not mind if they don't get a tactile bump like a chery mx for example.

<moved to Peripherials->

please take a second before you create your threads.. General Discussion is not a thread dumping area.

as per the Community Standards:

No thread dumping (posting a thread in the wrong section). Check the forum for the most appropriate location for your thread before posting.

we've asked in the past, not to dump all threads in the General Discussion group.

Cherry MX silent are about as close as you can get to membrane switches.

They are basically reds but with dampers on them to reduce noise.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There are many different silenced switches, and you can also get silencing clips like the GMK QMX to silence compatible switches. 

:)

Aviod:
Standard Gateron Silents (Linear & Tactile) 

Early Gateron/Zealpc Healios (Linear)

Meh Silent switches:
Outemu Silent Sky (tactile)

Decent Silent Switches:
Cherry MX Silent Red (Linear) 

Very Good Silent Switches: 
Gateron Silent Inks (Linear)
Gateron (Zealpc) Sakerios, Rosealios, Healios (Linear)
Gateron (Zealpc) Zilents (Tactile) 
MX Zilents (MX silent stem in zeal housing) (Linear)
Silent Cream? MX Silent Stem in Kailh Cream Housing (Linear)

Note Cherry silent switches/switches that use cherry silent stems will have reduced travel; 4.0 -> 3.7, while Gateron switches will maintain the full 4mm of travel, Cherry silent and v1 Zilent switches are also mushier 

Switches alone are not all that matter.

From another thread:

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Also the case material, plate material, dampening material if it exists, and keycap type all have a great impact on how a key board sounds, potentially much more so that just the switch. 

For example a keyboard with a thick heavy aluminum case, brass plate, dampening material under the PCB and thick PBT SA profile caps, and non-silenced switches will almost certainly be quieter than a keyboard with a hollow plastic case, no plate or internal dampening and thin ABS Cherry profile caps with silenced switches.