8GB vs 16GB Ram worth it

Hi Guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my RAM from 8GB  to 16GB. Currently in games such as Shadow of Tomb Raider and games that load a map as you go through sometimes stutters. Is upgrading going to make a difference. I only play games at 1080P. I notice in game i am hitting aroubd 7.8GB Ram usage

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (OC 3.9 GHZ)

GeForce GTX 1660

Patriot Viper 2 x 4GB @ 3000Mhz

Kingston SSD 240GB

Sounds like it might be worth an upgrade if your almost hitting max cap, the stuttering sounds like it might have to do with the ram

Please @Dormant God or quote me if you want me to see your message/reply

Custom PC Specs
Custom PC Build: (CPU) i7-6700k (MotherBoard) GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX (RAM) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4/3000MHz (GPU) MSI GTX 1080 (Case) Crystal 570X RGB (Storage) 1 TB HDD from Seagate

Are you using a web browser while gaming?

How about Discord or a music streaming app?

If so, the extra RAM helps.

In a few games it helps regardless, especially with in game hitching/loading.

When I had 8GB of ram a while back in BF4 days, I'd get random stutters in game even though my CPU and GPU were good enough to play, upgrading my ram fixed it. Not saying this IS your issue, however with ram prices better than they were, it can't hurt to get 8GB more.

Yes, it sounds like you'd profit from an upgrade.

I don't know much about RAM usage in modern AAA titles but the thing with RAM is, that it doesn't have a huge impact until you hit the threshold.

As soon as you need more RAM than you have, you have a very noticeable effect.

It's comparable to the size of a car. Usually, it doesn't matter so much how big your car is but as soon as you don't have enough space for everybody and their luggage you have a big impact.

If you are that close to the limit its wise to upgrade. Prices are very much sane right now in terms of memmory.

Thanks all, I have just ordered the same ram again.So I will have 4 matching sticks at £39.99

for ex. rust itself uses 8gb of ram on medium settings, cities skylines takes 12gb of 16 available. Totally worth it

Can’t game with 8gigs. Wouldn’t run anything less than 16 in any of my games. Such an easy problem to avoid, might as well do it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz