Dying i7 4790k? Please help <3

Hello guys, I have an intel i7 4790k( in stock) for 2 years now, it has been an amazing processor.  I used to play Overwatch, pubg, bf at higher fps due to my GTX 1080.  But, in the last couple of months it has been suffering, the cpu usage goes straight to 100% in those games now in high density areas, and the cpu temp gets top 80C on hot summer's days ! I don't know what is happening and i have already reinstalled the system and drivers!

What you are describing is a CPU bottleneck. If the CPU is always pinned at 100% trying to keep up with your 1080, it will also get pretty hot depending on your cooling solution. A way to try and reduce this bottleneck (which might cause stuttering in games) would be to overclock it. You could also limit your frame rate by using an in-game frame rate limiter or VSYNC, this way your GPU doesn't work as hard by rendering the game at like 200FPS which puts a high load on the CPU. Also, if the CPU is getting really hot because of summer, it might even not be boosting to as high a clock rate because of the high temps and this would exaggerate the CPU bottleneck even more. So on second thought maybe don't overclock as you seem to already be at the limits of your cooling solution. If your CPU is always running that hot, then the best short term solution might be a better cooler. Its certainly not healthy for the CPU to be so hot all the time.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

53 minutes ago, Matezudo said:

Hello guys, I have an intel i7 4790k( in stock) for 2 years now, it has been an amazing processor.  I used to play Overwatch, pubg, bf at higher fps due to my GTX 1080.  But, in the last couple of months it has been suffering, the cpu usage goes straight to 100% in those games now in high density areas, and the cpu temp gets top 80C on hot summer's days ! I don't know what is happening and i have already reinstalled the system and drivers!

Same here. 3800x cant come soon enough. 

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

28 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

What you are describing is a CPU bottleneck. If the CPU is always pinned at 100% trying to keep up with your 1080, it will also get pretty hot depending on your cooling solution. A way to try and reduce this bottleneck (which might cause stuttering in games) would be to overclock it. You could also limit your frame rate by using an in-game frame rate limiter or VSYNC, this way your GPU doesn't work as hard by rendering the game at like 200FPS which puts a high load on the CPU. Also, if the CPU is getting really hot because of summer, it might even not be boosting to as high a clock rate because of the high temps and this would exaggerate the CPU bottleneck even more. So on second thought maybe don't overclock as you seem to already be at the limits of your cooling solution. If your CPU is always running that hot, then the best short term solution might be a better cooler. Its certainly not healthy for the CPU to be so hot all the time.

its not a bottleneck, I had a 3770k (weakly oced to 4.1) coupled with a 1080 gtx. The GPU usage was always higher than CPU usage in 99% of the games I played. I happen to play all sorts, ranging from Overwatch to Civilization V.  

@matezudo so let me get this straight. You claim that you did not have this problem before and this 100% usage started recently? 

If you did not install any new hardware, then it must be a software issue. I am suspecting two things

1) malware/ miner program 

2) windows update

If it is a malware, run a malware scan and see what is eating up your CPU.

If it is a windows update, roll back to the previous version or update it further.

1080 is not powerful enough to bottleneck a 4790k. My slower 3770k ran just fine. A 1080TI would most likely bottleneck it slightly.

On a different note, if you are hitting 80 degrees during gaming session, you have a HUGE cooling issue. During gaming, it should max around at 75 degrees max. Run prime 95 blend test for about 30 minutes. Use realtemp to monitor your temps. Make sure the chip never hits above 85 degrees. I think you should wash your heatsink and reinstall the fans. (if the temp increase was rather sudden, then I suspect that one of your fans are either dead or a due to poor cable management, one of them is not spinning.)

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

Reinstall windows because of it’s a new thing that’s happening then it’s not right 

4790k is great cpu I delidded mine and got it running 4.9ghz at 1.35v with temps around 70c underlaid with a 280 rad

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

I wouldn't rule out Windows security updates being an issue. Apparently Haswell and older got hit harder than most.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Sounds normal to me. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz