New Internet Router

Mr_Argon

Hi all.

I'm looking for a new internet router. My current one is struggling with our 8 devices, and can't handle me gaming on it lol. I'm also getting half the advertised speed on WiFi (paid for 100mbps, I'm getting 50 mbps), is that normal?

Any recommendations? I don't know much about routers and how they work (I do know what cables to plug in, that's about it).

I'm not looking to pay too much, but it has to be better than our current one, a Huawai HG659b (that is my internet provider's website).

Please be specific in your recommendations, in a previous post people just recommended getting a mid range ac router, not a specific product.

TL;DR: Give router recommendations

Seems to me you could enjoy a Google onhub. Simple installation, powerful, features are easily accessible for non pros. My best friend has been using one for the past few years and he always speaks in it's favor. 

If your house is massive, you may need a more expensive solution.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

6 hours ago, Mr_Argon said:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a new internet router. My current one is struggling with our 8 devices, and can't handle me gaming on it lol. I'm also getting half the advertised speed on WiFi (paid for 100mbps, I'm getting 50 mbps), is that normal?

Any recommendations? I don't know much about routers and how they work (I do know what cables to plug in, that's about it).

I'm not looking to pay too much, but it has to be better than our current one, a Huawai HG659b (that is my internet provider's website).

Please be specific in your recommendations, in a previous post people just recommended getting a mid range ac router, not a specific product.

According to the link this is a gateway, Modem and router in one. Also it says "Business" on the page. Is this a business account? Also what kind of internet do you have DSL or Fiber? 

Also as far as WiFi is concerned, speeds can not be guarantee on WiFi. WiFi is susceptible to interference, especially 2.4 Ghz. Using 5Ghz tends to solve most issues, though 5 Ghz has less range and doesnt penetrate walls well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

According to the link this is a gateway, Modem and router in one. Also it says "Business" on the page. Is this a business account? Also what kind of internet do you have DSL or Fiber? 

Also as far as WiFi is concerned, speeds can not be guarantee on WiFi. WiFi is susceptible to interference, especially 2.4 Ghz. Using 5Ghz tends to solve most issues, though 5 Ghz has less range and doesnt penetrate walls well. 

It's for home use, I'm not sure why they advertise it as "Business". I have Fibre internet with speeds of 100 down, 10 up.

I can use either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, my PC isn't too fa from the router.

What is the difference between a gateway, router and modem?

1 minute ago, Mr_Argon said:

It's for home use, I'm not sure why they advertise it as "Business". I have Fibre internet with speeds of 100 down, 10 up.

I can use either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, my PC isn't too fa from the router.

What is the difference between a gateway, router and modem?

A gateway is a router and modem in one box. Technically you need a modem to authorize you on to your ISP's network, then a router is used as a firewall and to share the 1 IP address the ISP assigns you. Generally having a gateway is frowned upon due to issues with it over heating and giving a shitty experience. Also you dont want to hook two routers together, this can cause other issues. Which is why you dont want to connect a router to a gateway. Unless you know what your doing. 

28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

A gateway is a router and modem in one box. Technically you need a modem to authorize you on to your ISP's network, then a router is used as a firewall and to share the 1 IP address the ISP assigns you. Generally having a gateway is frowned upon due to issues with it over heating and giving a shitty experience. Also you dont want to hook two routers together, this can cause other issues. Which is why you dont want to connect a router to a gateway. Unless you know what your doing. 

We have a box attached to the wall that is connected to the fibre cable outside our house (router??). There is then a cable running from that to our thing that gives us WiFi, which I assume is the modem. (Sorry I messed up the names in my original post).

I just need something to give me WiFi, that is easy to set up, as I believe our current one is being overloaded (not to long ago I had to factory reset it because of an overload)

Just now, Mr_Argon said:

We have a box attached to the wall that is connected to the fibre cable outside our house (router??). There is then a cable running from that to our thing that gives us WiFi, which I assume is the modem. (Sorry I messed up the names in my original post).

Modems are connected directly to your ISP. What provides WiFi is a router which sits between the modem and the rest of your network. Generally the modem will be inside. Most ISP's now days give you a gateway  which is what you have. That means your modem and router is in one box. If you get poor WiFi from it, you have a few choices. 

1) Disable the WiFi on it and use a Wireless Access point. Ubquiti has some nice ones. 

2) Put the gateway in to bridge mode, this turns it effective in to just a modem and connect a new router to it. 

3) Replace the gateway with a customer owned one

1) You can either by a gateway yourself or you can buy a separate modem and router. This option is only available if the ISP will allow customer owned equipment on their                   network. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Modems are connected directly to your ISP. What provides WiFi is a router which sits between the modem and the rest of your network. Generally the modem will be inside. Most ISP's now days give you a gateway  which is what you have. That means your modem and router is in one box. If you get poor WiFi from it, you have a few choices. 

1) Disable the WiFi on it and use a Wireless Access point. Ubquiti has some nice ones. 

2) Put the gateway in to bridge mode, this turns it effective in to just a modem and connect a new router to it. 

3) Replace the gateway with a customer owned one

1) You can either by a gateway yourself or you can buy a separate modem and router. This option is only available if the ISP will allow customer owned equipment on their                   network. 

So what's the box on the wall? It's inside my house, and is connected to a box outside which is connected to the fibre cables. The thing I need to replace is the thing that gives me WiFi, and is connected via an Ethernet cable to that box on the wall. It also has plugs on the back (labeled DSL, Phone 1 and Phone 2, WAN, and LAN 1-4. Also USB)

I'm not sure what plugs I have on the box on the wall, I can't see it

6 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

So what's the box on the wall? It's inside my house, and is connected to a box outside which is connected to the fibre cables. The thing I need to replace is the thing that gives me WiFi, and is connected via an Ethernet cable to that box on the wall. It also has plugs on the back (labeled DSL, Phone 1 and Phone 2, WAN, and LAN 1-4. Also USB)

Outside is likely just a telecom box of some sort. Your gateway is for DSL or you can use it with any Ethernet based WAN. Judging by your speeds Im going to say your on some sort of vDSL service. So the outside box is where the connection between ISP cabling goes in to your houses cabling. I have a similar thing on my home, Comcast coax comes in to the box where its grounded and connects in to my homes wiring. WIth Fiber, there is a separate box thats a media converter. Its job is to convert the Fiber in to something the user can use, like Ethernet or Coax. Though sometimes ISP's issue Media converter/router combs. I know AT&T does. 

Your first step is checking to see how your current setup is wired. Is the connection from the wall going in to the DSL port or in to the WAN port. That tells you a lot about your connection. Ether way this is the box thats causing WiFi issues. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Outside is likely just a telecom box of some sort. Your gateway is for DSL or you can use it with any Ethernet based WAN. Judging by your speeds Im going to say your on some sort of vDSL service. So the outside box is where the connection between ISP cabling goes in to your houses cabling. I have a similar thing on my home, Comcast coax comes in to the box where its grounded and connects in to my homes wiring. WIth Fiber, there is a separate box thats a media converter. Its job is to convert the Fiber in to something the user can use, like Ethernet or Coax. Though sometimes ISP's issue Media converter/router combs. I know AT&T does. 

Your first step is checking to see how your current setup is wired. Is the connection from the wall going in to the DSL port or in to the WAN port. That tells you a lot about your connection. Ether way this is the box thats causing WiFi issues. 

I'll take pictures when I get home

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

We have a fibre connection, we just don't need the faster speeds.

So just so we are both 100% clear, I've provided pictures this time lol :)

There is a thing outside my house that the outside cables go into. Then on the other side1562233035542.jpg.ef988ed6b3b844bab5ad49721cc25c31.jpgis this.

Then there is a blue Ethernet cable running from that to this, which I believe is my problem. (Is this the modem?)

1562233035965.jpg.77b680ebf14ec74e88a8a9e103dd25d5.jpg

Its connected via the WAN port.

I have spoken to a friend, and he is lending me his spare one (modem?) So I can see if that's the problem. (Its a Linkseys WRT1900ACS.

Thank you very much for your time and helpful answers

On 7/3/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mr_Argon said:

Hi all.

TP Link AC750

2 hours ago, Mr_Argon said:

ts connected via the WAN port.

Then any router will work. Look for something with the AC wireless standard or up. Just remember that your devices will also need AC wireless cards to take advantage of the AC spec. 

Very odd having a fiber connection with a pitiful ass upload speed. Thats generally reserved for DSL or Cable internet. 

Most of the computers in my house have ac WiFi connectivity. (My PC is the only self built PC in the house, and I made sure to get an ac WiFi card) 

Yeah, I know our speeds aren't that great, but we don't really need internet much faster. Also it starts getting expensive after 100/10. Fibre is still only a few years old where I live, most of New Zealand still doesn't have it...