1080p scale on 768p monitor

Allegrif

I'm a pauper currently using a 1360x768 crappy 32" TV as a temporary monitor. I only play Football Manager on it, which is extremely text/data heavy, and the higher your resolution the more data you see on each screen without having to dig into menus and submenus. 

I've been running at this native resolution for ages and just put up with it. However, something happened a couple of days ago when I accidentally yanked out the VGA cable (yes, VGA!) and when I put it back in it did what it always does and set the resolution to 800x600... because of course it did. When I went into display options, to my exhilerated surprise, it gave me the option of setting 1920x1080 as the resolution! It's never done that before. I selected it to see what would happen, and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. It downsized everything to the scale it would be if the TV was truly at 1080 display. It obviously isn't, and a lot of sharpness was lost as a result, but I was perfectly okay with that. It was comparible to watching a youtube video of someone on Football Manager with a 1080p display on my 768p TV. It wasn't as sharp as 1080 would be, but everything was legible and loads more data was displayed. 

I wanted to keep it like this and even went so far as to leave the PC on 24/7 for a couple of days, but sadly last night we had a 5 minute power cut and when I booted back up it will only let me go to 1360 x 768 again. I've tried setting custom resolutions in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel but with no joy. 

Any ideas how to get this back until I can get my hands on a better monitor?

might be a dumb method... but you could just unplug it again while the machine is on and plug it back in and see if you get the option back

1 minute ago, emosun said:

might be a dumb method... but you could just unplug it again while the machine is on and plug it back in and see if you get the option back

Believe me I've been trying all afternoon :D

you could try screen resolution/ advanced settings / uncheck "hide modes this monitor can't display" box

Just now, emosun said:

you could try screen resolution/ advanced settings / uncheck "hide modes this monitor can't display" box

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I only seem to have that tickbox for refresh rate, not resolution, and even that option is greyed out. 

Would you know it - after the millionth time of unplugging and replugging I've finally got my beautiful faux 1080 display back ?

You could try Custom Resolution Utility, it has worked for me to make a 1680x1050 into a 1920x1200 display

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace