Proof Google is deeply monitoring Chorme(ium?) users?

Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,

it could also be because of google analytics which this site uses. unless you block it google knows what sites you've visited... 

While using the canary build of MS Edge (Chromium derived version)  to post on this forum i began to respond to a post.  I considered writing about how  IGP's "integrated graphics" used to be Shyite.  I didn't even actually post it but played with different ways of talking about how crappy IGP's used to be in absolute terms.   I mean ... not compared to a GPU like now.  They were just plain not functional for anything beyond giving you a basic video out when your graphics card didn't work.   I typed it in but never posted it.   Wouldn't want to derail my own thread. 

Then this site went down for a while due to cloudflare having an error.    So that's why I never posted any version of the comment.   I go to youtube about 15-30 minutes latter and ...  What the heck? 

image.png.a8ff1a329598c5bc5e48beec90bc23c0.png

I did not do any Google search for anything related to IGP's on this computer or any other device.    So... HTH did Google/YouTube know?   Coincidence? ?  Is MS maybe not using the code for Chromium but somehow got their hands on Googles proprietary code for Chrome?  I find it hard to believe that my rules based computing device did something by pure chance.   Of all the videos to hi lite it shows that one. ?

Interesting this occured a couple of times after I browsed this post, then browsed youtube. :/  Well maybe it's nothing... time will tell. 

Should be a relatively simple experiment. Can you replicate this outcome if you do the exact same thing with other topics that you would *never* research/talk about. Like if you took a sudden interest in typing up a post about "koalas" then bailed on the post, would you suddenly get more recommendations for videos about koalas?

5 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Is MS maybe not using the code for Chromium but somehow got their hands on Googles proprietary code for Chrome?

you seem to be misinformed on this. 

Chromium is an open-source project that a lot of browsers (brave, opera, etc) are based on. it's also the project that forms the base of google chrome. 

Google Chrome is the "google" version of chromium so to speak, and it has some proprietary google code in it. 

the browser Microsoft is basing new Edge on, Chromium, is already completely public in terms of source code. 

She/Her

30 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you seem to be misinformed on this. 

Chromium is an open-source project that a lot of browsers (brave, opera, etc) are based on. it's also the project that forms the base of google chrome. 

Uhm... I know that.  Hence the title "Chrom(ium?)" 

Though Chromium is open source, it is a BIG complex piece of software and I would not put it past google to put some kind of telemetry into the canary build on which this canary build of Edge is based.   Then remove it in the beta and stable version.  

33 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Should be a relatively simple experiment. Can you replicate this outcome if you do the exact same thing with other topics that you would *never* research/talk about. Like if you took a sudden interest in typing up a post about "koalas" then bailed on the post, would you suddenly get more recommendations for videos about koalas?

Ah... I think I'll try that. 

29 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Simple, you are browsing LTT forums (it uses cookies) and you are using Youtube (it uses cookies), it's just a coincidence that it showed up an LTT video about iGPUs (I see A LOT of old videos of techquickie and LTT and it has been a couple of years since last time I watched them)

THIS... sounds plausible.  But then if google is aware of what other websites we've visited via the cookies no browser would be safe.  Unless one uses Tor or Tails.  

That is a frightening thought. 

Just now, Uttamattamakin said:

Though Chromium is open source, it is a BIG complex piece of software and I would not put it past google to put some kind of telemetry into the canary build on which this canary build of Edge is based.   Then remove it in the beta and stable version.  

you realize there are thousands of people looking over that source code? if they did that they would be caught immediately. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you realize there are thousands of people looking over that source code? if they did that they would be caught immediately. 

Given the size and complexity of the code it is possible that multiple parts of it could interact in unintended ways. 

That's why we have beta and canary channels.  (The usual result is a bug or a crash right.) 

That said,  I did a bing search for Mombassa Kenya.  Then went to youtube.  Found nothing relating to Africa.    However, after not seeing that video about integrated graphics on my suggested videos... it showed up again just now.    "Linus Tech Tips viewers Linus Tech Tips viewers also watch...
image.png.97bb489902338d1d5797de8ada8e1f16.png
Interesting.

I wrote here about 

Edge, and bugs and now those are in the list too.   Very curious.    On the other hand of course people want to hear more about MS Edge on a random Monday afternoon.  It's not like LTT has litterally thousands of other videos that could be suggested. 

Ok... I am satisfied this could more likely be just my perception.  Since I have been primed to find that Google or MS have not been completely above board about this new MS Edge.    I am likely wrong...but wouldn't be surprised to find out my suspicions are correct. 

it could also be because of google analytics which this site uses. unless you block it google knows what sites you've visited... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

Which as I recall (From a day that they were down some years ago) quite a bit of the internet uses Google analytics to serve ads.  

So much for privacy (or at least not having Google know everything.)

1 minute ago, RockyRZ said:

I’ve given up on hiding from Google.

Ever had your android phone pipe up and say "On your way home traffic is light as usual"... right after you check out at a store or something?  I have.   Google is the Borg. 

29 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Ever had your android phone pipe up and say "On your way home traffic is light as usual"... right after you check out at a store or something?  I have.   Google is the Borg. 

I use an iPhone with Google Map, so yeah, kinda.

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

Cross site tracking is also a thing.

@RockyRZ

Why people use Google Maps in the first place? HERE WeGo is much better. Has downloadable country maps for 100% offline operation (Google's stupid route downloading is so clumsy and retarded and good luck if you steer of route that you haven't saved), configurable language and voice for navigation, shows speed limits and navigation is damn good. We had an event and everyone using Google Maps were being navigated in circles around some place. With HERE I just pointed it where I want to go and I arrived there directly. Like I always do. I've been using it for years and it has reliably navigated me everywhere. I've got rid of Android to get away from Google's data hoarding claws which means zero Google apps policy on my phone. It has been working out pretty well for me. Which is why I don't understand why people depend on Google like nothing else even exists and all the alternatives I use are just as good if not better.

45 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Cross site tracking is also a thing.

@RockyRZ

Why people use Google Maps in the first place? HERE WeGo is much better. Has downloadable country maps for 100% offline operation (Google's stupid route downloading is so clumsy and retarded and good luck if you steer of route that you haven't saved), configurable language and voice for navigation, shows speed limits and navigation is damn good. We had an event and everyone using Google Maps were being navigated in circles around some place. With HERE I just pointed it where I want to go and I arrived there directly. Like I always do. I've been using it for years and it has reliably navigated me everywhere. I've got rid of Android to get away from Google's data hoarding claws which means zero Google apps policy on my phone. It has been working out pretty well for me. Which is why I don't understand why people depend on Google like nothing else even exists and all the alternatives I use are just as good if not better.

I didn’t know about that, but SEEMS to lack some details in my city, like the stores nearby, etc. 

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck