ELI5 - What hardware do I need to run multiple wired devices on a single ethernet jack?

alwaysbechowder

Hi guys, I normally think of myself as reasonably tech-savvy but I can't even wrap my head around the basic terminology of networking so I hope this is a very basic question.

We're about to move into a new-build apartment that has our router set-up already.

The network looks something like this:

Internet (wires from outside) go into a router in a utility cupboard. From the router, various ethernet cables run through the walls to each room where they terminate. 

The problem I have is that there is only one jack per room but I would like to connect multiple wired devices in each room if possible. A good example is our spare-bedroom/office where I have a smart-tv and a desktop-PC but only one place to plug them in. 

My desk research seems to indicate that I either need a second router, a network switch or an access point (not really sure what the difference between these are.)  If that's right, what should I look for in these?

Many thanks in advance!

Second router is unnecessary. For wired devices in each room, a small 5 or 8 port switch is plenty. Access points are for wireless clients where the signal from the main home router isn't strong enough or doesn't support enough devices. I personally have a similar set up as you, I have a single cable that goes to my room that connects to a switch which I have multiple clients connected to.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

That's amazing thanks for the quick response. I will do some research into the most cost-effective 5-8 port switches for us then. Is there anything I should look out for when looking at them/ a good resource to get up to speed?

2 minutes ago, alwaysbechowder said:

That's amazing thanks for the quick response. I will do some research into the most cost-effective 5-8 port switches for us then. Is there anything I should look out for when looking at them/ a good resource to get up to speed?

Make sure you quote the people you're replying to as we don't get notifications otherwise (it's the arrow at the bottom left of a post).

Any Gigabit unmanaged switch will work such as a basic Netgear or TPLink 5 port which go for like 17 USD each.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, 2FA said:

Make sure you quote the people you're replying to as we don't get notifications otherwise (it's the arrow at the bottom left of a post).

Any Gigabit unmanaged switch will work such as a basic Netgear or TPLink 5 port which go for like 17 USD each.

Perfect, thanks!