What speakers are you using?

mao91

Curious what people are using. If it's pro level, is there more that you do with it than just game or listen to tunes?

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Here at work (and for some time at home) I use the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Old but gold, as they say. Very punchy bass that sounds great in games and electronic music. They also sound great for rock/metal music. If you listen to rap or anything with very low frequency bass these aren't a good option, the frequency response leaves a bit to be desired. But for the price, these are fantastic

At home I've got two different PC setups. The first makes use of a full 5.1 channel stereo, which I'm assuming isn't your need, but if so I'd discuss more. On the other I have two Paradigm Atom Monitors powered by a Sony receiver paired with a small Klipsch subwoofer. Although a bit pricier than usual 2.1 setups, this will cover all the bases. Music? Check. Gaming? Check. Movies? Check. I also run soundcards on the desktops and USB DAC on the laptop. Must haves.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

49 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Curious what people are using. If it's pro level, is there more that you do with it than just game or listen to tunes?

Currently use a pair of sony SS-NX1 vintage bookshelf/standmount speakers on the pc running off a monacor SA-50 with a tube pre-amp, then also have the "main" system, which compromises of a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3 loudspeakers, with a mcintosh MA9000 and schiit yggdrasil DAC, almost 100% used for music. I also master music so its good as a reference level system to pick out tiny details in final audio masters. Its a pretty expensive setup but worth it for me personally.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I had a Bose Companion 5 set for around 8 years, but the last couple of years I started focusing more on audio quality (bought a proper music player, good headphones, re-ripped my CD collection to lossless format etc) so I felt the need for some better PC speakers. 

3 months ago I started to look for alternatives, set my mind on Klipsch and then found out that my local PC store had a really good combo deal on the R-41PM speakers with the R-8SW subwoofer.  (basically half off on the subwoofer).  So that's what I'm running now. 

The speakers are connected to both my PCs. 

On the main rig I'm using a SoundblasterX AE-5 sound card and connect via an optical cable.

On the secondary rig (currently only used to test Linux-related stuff in preparation for Win7 going EoL) I'm only using on-board audio and a simple UBS-A to USB-B cable to connect to the speakers. 

I mainly watch movies and play music on the PC, gaming is taking a backseat lately.   No dedicated stereo system or TV, the PC does all the media-related stuff here. 

A pair of 5" JBL 305P MkII studio monitors and a 10" JBL LSR 310S subwoofer, all driven from a Dragonfly Red USB DAC. I mostly listen to music through them, using either VLC Media Player or Media Monkey (VLC sounds better but Media Monkey has a sleep timer on it that will shut down the computer for me, which I use when I go to bed).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I'm using Creative A250 2.1 Speakers for my PC.  Mostly for gaming and viewing content.  They are good enough for what I use them for.

i built my surround speakers. i couldnt find anything i liked sound wise..something was always lacking
each channel has a 6" 400 watt woofer and a 2"steel tweeter in a wood enclosures....with 2 12" 300watt subs
the surrounds produce base down to 100 and the subs kick in at 110 and produce all the lower...and with the subs one in front and the other in rear

with all speakers combined the boom is nicely spread out not just coming from the subs

and i didnt go with a mid because it wasnt needed the 2 in each speaker was nice and clear from low to high

i went though a lot of different tweeters too to find the right ones..i wanted the crisp clean highs..paper was flat, rubber was horrible, horns produced vibration. but steel bodies with a shallow hard plastic center (what they look like) was perfect.

it will suck if i go 7.2 or higher because they stopped making the speakers so wouldnt be able to make more lol have to do trial and error again

so far ive used 3 different receivers my newest does 120 watt a channel and the speakers just pump out the sound

A James Loudspeaker SPL6QLCR... Still awaiting installation.

:)

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

6 minutes ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

damn thats an interesting bar...curious how it sounds

audioengine A2+ with d1 dac

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

17 hours ago, circeseye said:

damn that's an interesting bar...curious how it sounds

I've listened to them in person... They sound pretty good.

Just waffling over which amp to choose.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

39 minutes ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

I've listened to them in person... They sound pretty good.

Just waffling over which amp to choose.

Denon make good stuff, also cambridge audio, marantz and Pro-ject.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 7/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, BigDamn said:

Here at work (and for some time at home) I use the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Old but gold, as they say. Very punchy bass that sounds great in games and electronic music. They also sound great for rock/metal music. If you listen to rap or anything with very low frequency bass these aren't a good option, the frequency response leaves a bit to be desired. But for the price, these are fantastic

At home I've got two different PC setups. The first makes use of a full 5.1 channel stereo, which I'm assuming isn't your need, but if so I'd discuss more. On the other I have two Paradigm Atom Monitors powered by a Sony receiver paired with a small Klipsch subwoofer. Although a bit pricier than usual 2.1 setups, this will cover all the bases. Music? Check. Gaming? Check. Movies? Check. I also run soundcards on the desktops and USB DAC on the laptop. Must haves.

Those are both great setups. I'll reveal mine below.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, Derkoli said:

Currently use a pair of sony SS-NX1 vintage bookshelf/standmount speakers on the pc running off a monacor SA-50 with a tube pre-amp, then also have the "main" system, which compromises of a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3 loudspeakers, with a mcintosh MA9000 and schiit yggdrasil DAC, almost 100% used for music. I also master music so its good as a reference level system to pick out tiny details in final audio masters. Its a pretty expensive setup but worth it for me personally.

Also a good setup. What sort of music do you master? The expense is worth it for the quality.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, Captain Chaos said:

I had a Bose Companion 5 set for around 8 years, but the last couple of years I started focusing more on audio quality (bought a proper music player, good headphones, re-ripped my CD collection to lossless format etc) so I felt the need for some better PC speakers. 

3 months ago I started to look for alternatives, set my mind on Klipsch and then found out that my local PC store had a really good combo deal on the R-41PM speakers with the R-8SW subwoofer.  (basically half off on the subwoofer).  So that's what I'm running now. 

The speakers are connected to both my PCs. 

On the main rig I'm using a SoundblasterX AE-5 sound card and connect via an optical cable.

On the secondary rig (currently only used to test Linux-related stuff in preparation for Win7 going EoL) I'm only using on-board audio and a simple UBS-A to USB-B cable to connect to the speakers. 

I mainly watch movies and play music on the PC, gaming is taking a backseat lately.   No dedicated stereo system or TV, the PC does all the media-related stuff here. 

Great listening setup! 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A pair of 5" JBL 305P MkII studio monitors and a 10" JBL LSR 310S subwoofer, all driven from a Dragonfly Red USB DAC. I mostly listen to music through them, using either VLC Media Player or Media Monkey (VLC sounds better but Media Monkey has a sleep timer on it that will shut down the computer for me, which I use when I go to bed).

Mostly? Anything else you do with them?

On 7/1/2019 at 10:35 PM, circeseye said:

i built my surround speakers. i couldnt find anything i liked sound wise..something was always lacking
each channel has a 6" 400 watt woofer and a 2"steel tweeter in a wood enclosures....with 2 12" 300watt subs
the surrounds produce base down to 100 and the subs kick in at 110 and produce all the lower...and with the subs one in front and the other in rear

with all speakers combined the boom is nicely spread out not just coming from the subs

and i didnt go with a mid because it wasnt needed the 2 in each speaker was nice and clear from low to high

i went though a lot of different tweeters too to find the right ones..i wanted the crisp clean highs..paper was flat, rubber was horrible, horns produced vibration. but steel bodies with a shallow hard plastic center (what they look like) was perfect.

it will suck if i go 7.2 or higher because they stopped making the speakers so wouldnt be able to make more lol have to do trial and error again

so far ive used 3 different receivers my newest does 120 watt a channel and the speakers just pump out the sound

I saw your thread about building them but I'd be curious to see if you have a photographic project log for this?

On 7/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, Lord Mirdalan said:

On 7/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, Derkoli said:

Denon make good stuff, also cambridge audio, marantz and Pro-ject.

Agreed here. Marantz makes solid amps for the price range.

I run all outboard gear for my audio, but I also do production work. But, in terms of speakers, I mainly run Yamaha HS8s.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

42 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Also a good setup. What sort of music do you master? The expense is worth it for the quality.

Yeah all in all its about £25k worth of stuff now, lol. Also possibly getting a chord dave DAC/Amp and some audeze headphones, and a mcintosh C2600 pre-amp cause i love tube sound. But also the bower and wilkins are quite analytical, so it should make them more playful/fun. And of course more speakers. I master a pretty broad range of stuff, some electronic, hip-hop, R-B (rythm + blues), also done some jazz pieces in the past, and tonnes of vocals.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

5 hours ago, B.Toast said:

...Mostly? Anything else you do with them?...

Any sound being played on the computer, such as from videos or when playing movies.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

i have the yamaha HS7W´s with an audioengine DAC, simply because it switches quite nicely between speakers and headphones, and it has volume control, on the rear out´s that i use for the speakers.

I just upgraded to a Logitech Z607 for the 5.1 surround compatibility. Had to get 2 3.5mm to RCA adapters to plug it all in, but I'm wrapped at the sound quality. Using the onboard audio from my motherboard amp.

I have some 5-incher Mackies (MR524), just fitting on my desk around 2 monitors. Connected to a little Yamaha mixer with XLR. They are a pleaseant listen compared to my DT 990 headphones, though the headphones definetely sound more punchy and accurate.

For gaming, I use CHC Silverado over ear headphones and one of my lav mics.
For music and movies I have a custom built stereo with 2 full range floor speakers on one channel and a dual channel 10" sub with high frequency bypass to 2, 6" satellites.

For late night TV or video streaming I just use the built in speakers on my TV/Monitor so the sound doesn't travel and wake anyone up.

im more of a headphone guy so I use an old 5.1 suround logitech set from like 2011 but once the micca rb 42 becomes available in canada I will be upgrading to those. 

3 hours ago, SparkShot said:

For gaming, I use CHC Silverado over ear headphones and one of my lav mics.
For music and movies I have a custom built stereo with 2 full range floor speakers on one channel and a dual channel 10" sub with high frequency bypass to 2, 6" satellites.

For late night TV or video streaming I just use the built in speakers on my TV/Monitor so the sound doesn't travel and wake anyone up.

damn never heard of the brand befor e but those headphones are gorgeos seems like a little bit too clampy for me but gorgeos sad they none of my favorite audio youtubers have reviewed them. 

Don't have any speakers at my desk, since I usually wear headphones when doing serious work or gaming with friends.

However, I recently discovered the beauty and comfyness of couch gaming, so my PC is also attached to the TV in the living room (15m HDMI cable, surprisingly works like a charm)

Suitable sound is provided by these puppies (minus the sub - the floorstanding fronts are borderline overpowered for my 24m² living room) - Canton C309, C305 & C302. For 300€, 150€ and 125€, each of these are plain awesome, since they pretty much have the same drivers as the ~600€-ish series from canton but are of a less fancy build. Heavily recommended.

C_Serie-Gruppe_schwarz_AB_2017_v2BvFozEH

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

On 7/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, rice guru said:

damn never heard of the brand befor e but those headphones are gorgeos seems like a little bit too clampy for me but gorgeos sad they none of my favorite audio youtubers have reviewed them. 

The company went bankrupt, but there are a few new pairs still floating around. the spring steel wires that connect them are VERY well padded and are fairly flexible. The adjustment for the ear cup position can also help looses it a bit. The only downside it the stock cables. They are really thin and wore out after about 2 years. There is a custom cable company that did a redesign and produces sturdier replacements.
I love these headphones. They have next to no plastic, the leather is nice and soft and the sound quality is really good. I would always break those plastic frame headphones in about a year, but I've had these since just about the time they came out and aside from having to change out the cable, They are still in near mint condition.

1 minute ago, SparkShot said:

The company went bankrupt, but there are a few new pairs still floating around. the spring steel wires that connect them are VERY well padded and are fairly flexible. The adjustment for the ear cup position can also help looses it a bit. The only downside it the stock cables. They are really thin and wore out after about 2 years. There is a custom cable company that did a redesign and produces sturdier replacements.
I love these headphones. They have next to no plastic, the leather is nice and soft and the sound quality is really good. I would always break those plastic frame headphones in about a year, but I've had these since just about the time they came out and aside from having to change out the cable, They are still in near mint condition.

never had the issue with headphones that contain plastic but then again generally the headbands of all my headphones have metal frames.