How dangerous is Subwoofer to hard drives?

JovanD

Recently i got my self a subwoofer and you know how it is when you get a new pc part or toy, you run all the benchmarks and demanding games and stuff to test it out for fun and curiosity...
Well after i got bored of blasting EDM songs at high volume, i've found some online frequency/tone generator, i learned that 22Hz is great leg massager i also noticed that various objects around my room would rattle(more than usual at that volume) at different frequencies, i guess that resonance?

The part that really scared me was at around 70Hz there was vary rattly sound coming from PC, kinda sound like when hard drive is vary fragmented and working vary hard, now lucky all my hdd's are fine, so it could have been just fan bearings that were rattling under vibration, but that got me thinking, could such vibrations damage hard drive? Is there any data/tests or something regarding sound impact on hard drives?

It seems like loud sounds can interfere with operation and make hdds slower, but can it damage them too?

Time to get a SSD then... 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Its tremendously hard to damage a hard drive physically.
You have to remember that the disk platter spins in excess of 5000 RPM, so it has to be tremendously rigid or it would simply pull itself apart.
The head itself also must move back and forth very quickly, so itself is also extremely rigid.

Now onto the video, a datacentre is a unique place, there are thousands or sources of vibration, all within meters of each other.  Hard drives, fans, tape drives, all moving at different speeds.  You add something "weird" because someone shouting at their disk array isn't that weird, but the way he did it was.  And that weird thing can cause a brief problem.

You also have to remember that video is from 2008, things have moved on slightly.

But to the unique issue of a subwoofer, it "might" cause a problem, but you would have to listen to it at significant (complaint inducing) volume for it to cause sizeable vibrations.

But as to actual damage, unlikely, you'll should just force the disk head to re-align itself unless your drive is old, or has a normally unseen manufacturing fault you should be ok.  That being said, maybe consider some kind of isolation pad, so that the only vibrations transferred to it are the air waves, and not vibrations through the floor.  It will limit the potential for damage.