Building for my work, question about PSU.

So at our work, we're running some super old prebuilds that are running freaking Windows Vista! My boss is pretty cheap, so low cost is the primary goal here. The computers would run Excel, browse the web, and use a software called composer 5.0. I think the build is pretty solid for our needs, but I'm just concerned about the Power supply. Sure, the wattage is enough, but is this PSU quality enough that it won't fry something? What do you all think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLFJ6s

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $54.30 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $34.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Power Supply SeaSonic - S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $32.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $266.95
  Mail-in rebates -$25.00
  Total $241.95
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-28 13:26 EDT-0400  

I wouldn't take my chances on that SSD and PSU

what I think is source prebuilds again. especially refurbished prebuilds with win10 pro if the budget is tight.  No point in building.....

Signmakers, eh? Cool.

Depending on what your current systems are running, it might be more cost-effective to clean them up, throw in an SSD and maybe more RAM, and put Linux (or ChromeOS) on them.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, F___M said:

what I think is source prebuilds again. especially refurbished prebuilds with win10 pro if the budget is tight.  No point in building.....

I'd do this, but if you do decide to build...

How many files are stored locally?

If you just need room for OS/browser/excel and that other program you'd be fine with a 240gb ssd. Maybe even a 120.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

I don't think this is being thought through....

you are missing a case for the build.  maybe the case the vista machines were in will work, but no guarantees.

you are missing an OS.  It is a BUSINESS. Even if they don't have a server, what about the future?

the cost of these basic components will add another:

case> 30

win 10 pro> 140+

If you pay any less for windows, or just buy a key> IT IS A PIRATED COPY.  You take your chances that MS will deavtivate the OS IF your luck runs out.  Soooo......

In summary your price 241. add 170 to that=$411.

Add in your time that the BOSS is paying for> ?

You can get a pretty nice refurb business desktop all day, including a 1 year warranty.  Business is NOT a game of play computer builder. BUSINESS is good decision making that optimizes product selection and especially TIME.

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Signmakers, eh? Cool.

Depending on what your current systems are running, it might be more cost-effective to clean them up, throw in an SSD and maybe more RAM, and put Linux (or ChromeOS) on them.

I'm a linux fan myself, but alas: everyone's too scared to try anything different. :/ Plus, we're on an Intel Core 2 Duo E7300. It's fine, but CPUBenchmark shows the athlon being about 150% faster: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E7300-vs-AMD-Athlon-200GE/m2080vsm592714

3 hours ago, Votivee said:

I'd do this, but if you do decide to build...

How many files are stored locally?

If you just need room for OS/browser/excel and that other program you'd be fine with a 240gb ssd. Maybe even a 120.

That's a good question. We've actually got an old server (running Windows server 2003: he tells me he's trying to ditch it for cloud storage) that holds just about everything we need. But for some reason, our drives on the Vista computers (250gb) are nearly full. Thus, I figured doubling the drive size would be an ok place to start.

If that data is important to the functioning of the business.....

Get it all in 1 place on a SERVER and back it up AT LEAST weekly.  The 2003 3 server is NOT supported.  It is a security hazard waiting to happen.  Cloud storage may be the simple answer, no backup plan needed.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, F___M said:

If that data is important to the functioning of the business.....

Get it all in 1 place on a SERVER and back it up AT LEAST weekly.  The 2003 3 server is NOT supported.  It is a security hazard waiting to happen.  Cloud storage may be the simple answer, no backup plan needed.. 

No worries, it's all backed up on the server and the cloud. Trust me, I know that Server 2003 is no bueno. That's part of the reason we're going to get new shop computers in the first place: we're running Vista and the Bluekeep vulnerability makes me nervous. As for the server... I don't know much about them. He is trying to completely ditch it for the cloud, but it's gonna be a while at this pace. :/