New Zen2 build plan

Mahde232

Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a whole new rig to replace the one in my signature because it is indeed getting old (i5-2500k).

A little background on my current and future work, I am a 22 Y.O. software engineer doing an internship at Facebook and planning on going deep into the AI and Machine-Learning field.

I have gotten a respectable sum of money and would like a build that would last me atleast 3-4 years without doing any hiccups in neither work field nor casual-serious gaming, and I have came to a conclusion that the new Ryzen lineup is just too good to pass on.

CPU: 3900X (12C,24TH)

RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz+ (planning on getting a 2x16 config for possible future upgrade to 64). Would like recommendations on specific ram kits and modules if anybody knows great kits.

MOBO: any mid tier X570 (X470 might be an option if X570 prices are WAY high up there), recommendations would also be great, I obviously will be planning on overclocking the CPU (not to an extreme state, just to squeeze more performance)

COOLING: Current plans are to grab a Hydro h100i Pro RGB, recommendations on a better AIO that is 360mm and doesn't break the bank are more than welcome.

GPU: I currently have a Sapphire RX580 8GB Nitro+ LE card, It's doing me quite superbly for 1080P gaming and I wont be switch to 1440P gaming any time soon since I recently got a 240Hz 1080p monitor and most of the games I do play are FPS/Open-World.

Future plans would be to grab an RTX 2060 Super if those get released pretty soon, granted reviews are good and the RX580 feels lacking.

----------------------

PSU: I currently have a SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze one, I dont know if it's enough for the whole rig (+ overclocking) and with the future RTX 2060 Super upgrade, If it's neccesary I will also purchase another PSU and keep the current one for the i5-2500k extra rig.

STORAGE: I will be moving all my current storage solutions to the new system (which consist of 2x2TB HDDs, 1x Sata III 2.5" Sandisk SSD. Plans are to get an NVMe drive, Corsair MP510 is one of the few I looked at, a Samsung 970 Evo+ is also in consideration.

CASE: I already have a full tower Corsair, no plans on getting a new one.

I hope I explained the whole situation and reasons for upgrading each component as good and as brief as possible, any recommendations or tips are more than welcome.

Please wait for genuine reviews of Zen 2 chips (and X570 motherboards). Then decide what CPU and motherboard to buy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

40 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Please wait for genuine reviews of Zen 2 chips (and X570 motherboards). Then decide what CPU and motherboard to buy.

I am waiting for official reviews, The thing is that prices are just too good and really justify my upgrade. Especially the 3900X because of the relatively high core count yet much cheaper than the 16 core one.

3 hours ago, Mahde232 said:

The thing is that prices are just too good and really justify my upgrade. Especially the 3900X because of the relatively high core count yet much cheaper than the 16 core one.

Prices may be higher than usual at launch (because of high demand) so keep that in mind.

Also, you don't know how the 3900X will perform in real-life applications.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Core count isn't everything. Fewer higher performance cores may be better suited to gaming and development work.

If you plan to get into machine learning you may need to consider a significant gpu upgrade. GPU are particularly suited to much of this work.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

21 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Prices may be higher than usual at launch (because of high demand) so keep that in mind.

Also, you don't know how the 3900X will perform in real-life applications.

The general plan is to wait for the reviews and then choose either the 3900X or the 3800X, depending on price and performance

17 minutes ago, brob said:

Core count isn't everything. Fewer higher performance cores may be better suited to gaming and development work.

If you plan to get into machine learning you may need to consider a significant gpu upgrade. GPU are particularly suited to much of this work.

I am just getting into the ML territory, Idk if I'll be sticking to that department or switch. For now I'm going to use to for personal-educational purposes to get a grasp of the field itself, It wont be doing any real-work.

I know you may be happy with your 1080P monitor but I would seriously consider looking at 1440p or even better a 1440p ultrawide. The bump in resolution, especially ultrawide, is very noticeable in almost any game.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

10 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I know you may be happy with your 1080P monitor but I would seriously consider looking at 1440p or even better a 1440p ultrawide. The bump in resolution, especially ultrawide, is very noticeable in almost any game.

I have experienced it (the ultrawide aspect) and I did like it, sadly I have purchased 2x Lenovo 144hz freesync monitors almost a year ago, and planning on switching one of them for the 240Hz one i got recently, the one i'll be replacing will be moved to the i5-2500k secondary rig.

Also, I dont think I have the GPU power currently to run 1440p at high refresh rates.