Where can I learn about camcorders?

Hello! 

I was wondering if you know somewhere to learn about camcorders ir order to make a well informed purchase. I am thinking in particular if there is some site similar to cameralabs.com but for camcorders.

Thank you in advance

What are you intending to do with a camcorder?

The main issue is that camcorders are a dead market; unless you are dealing with specialized pro video cameras, most people doing video work these days are running with DSLR's and mirrorless cameras for the same work.

so are you trying to start a Youtube channel or is this just for personal use/family use.  if its personal or family just use your cellphone as its good enough and you always have it with you  and if its in a situation that your would be uncomfortable using a cellphone pick up a gopro or clone of a gopro.  If you are looking for cameras to use on Youtube or the like there are resources all over the place depending on what end of content you want to make.

Sorry for the late response, I didn't see the notifications. In the long run, I'm looking for a camera to record live concerts. I'm currently using my S9, but I wish to learn about alternatives to upgrade. It has to have good low light performance and recording continuosly for at least one hour is a must (I understand DSLR and mirrorless cameras have a limit in this regard).

Reading your answers, it seems that there isn't a somewhere renowned to learn as I was hoping

Thank you!

For low light capability that you can fairly easily smuggle into venues, you may want to look at the Sony RX100 series, or the Canon G7X series. Both use  the 1" sensor format (actually about the size of Super16), so noise at higher ISOs is greatly reduced as compared to phone cameras. Keeping the video framerate to 24 fps would be a good idea to keep ISO low(ish), and consequently help to keep down any hot pixels that are present as well.

Not sure if there are any pocketable m4/3 bodies, though lenses are small enough.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It won't be a camera for smuggling into venues, it will be for recording the events we organise. Don't those cameras have a recording time limit? 

7 hours ago, Juancitox said:

It won't be a camera for smuggling into venues, it will be for recording the events we organise. Don't those cameras have a recording time limit? 

Some do; you'll have to check, and it depends on region; the same camera in the US might not have a time limit versus one in Europe.

But your best option would be a Panasonic GH5; it has no recording time limit, beyond the max size of your memory cards. It'll also shoot 4k at 10-bit 4:2:2 recording with optional V-log, so there's tons of detail and it would be easy to colour grade and edit. With an optional accessory, it can take XLR microphone input as well. Not cheap, but it's the camera most Vlogger's use for recording, as it combines excellent videocentric features, image quality in a small package.

In your situation a black magic pocket cinema 4k camera may be a good option.  It has good loe light preformance and lets tou record directly to ssd for inexpensive storage.

I would also add Canon's recently announced PowerShot G7 X III as an slightly cheaper, all in one option (if you don't want to be fussing around with interchangeable lenses). It will shoot in 4k, has a mic jack, and the two new major features is the ability to stream to YouTube Live straight from the camera, and it can also be powered over USB, along with being charged.

• 2 weeks later...