7600k always reports 3.8ghz

I haven't messed with my clock in a long time and just did a fresh OS install because the machine has been acting funny for a while.  I decided to start looking at the clock I had on it again with some benches stress testing and readings but for some reason, no matter what I change in UEFI it always reads 3.8ghz or 38x100 in cpu-z and hwinfo.  The only time that has changed was when I had c-states enabled it would drop from 38 to 8 but the range always reads 8-48 for the multiplier.  The range is the only place I see the multiplier I have applied.

Can I get some thoughts?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

After a fresh OS install, especially windows, it takes some time until all software is set. It might take roughly an hour at max i think until the cpu comes down in frequency.

Make sure the c-states are activated, as well as intel speed step. Assuming you want to use the power save options the cpu can do.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97144/intel-core-i5-7600k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

3.8 GHz is also the all core max frequency. Max boost is 4.2 ghz. Depending on the load on the cpu it will turbo up.

I suggest you wait a little, lets say 20 minutes, and check then. If it won't work, chech the bios if C-States and Intel Speedstep is activated :)

I don't use c-states or turbo boost, just raw static OC.  I've never had this problem before, I was previously running all core 5ghz and it was reported properly immediately.  My point is that C-states is supposed to be off but it looks like it's on

edit: right now I'm trying to get it to clock at 48x100 or 47x100 just to get a starting point and I have previously ran 5.1ghz

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Mhh, maybe did you a bios reset? Even with C-stats and speedstep, if you set it to 4.8 GHz it should do it on all cores when you need full load. Check if the current limit or power limit is set to 100A (Ampere) or 95W for example.

HWinfo should give the throttle reasons, you might have to scroll down some way in the sensors tab.

3.8 GHz is the base frequency for the 7600K.  Intel Turbo Boost has to be enabled within the processor to use any multiplier higher than 38.  Some motherboards have bios options that are misleading.  They might show that you can disable turbo boost and still run a high multiplier but in the background when they boot up, turbo boost gets enabled. 

There is no reason to disable turbo boost in the bios.  This can cause problems like you are having.

Check that HWiNFO shows that turbo is enabled.

1 minute ago, Aerpoweron said:

Mhh, maybe did you a bios reset? Even with C-stats and speedstep, if you set it to 4.8 GHz it should do it on all cores when you need full load. Check if the current limit or power limit is set to 100A (Ampere) or 95W for example.

HWinfo should give the throttle reasons, you might have to scroll down some way in the sensors tab.

I just did a restore to default settings, rebooted and did a fast and easy and slow manual clock and now it's looking right.  I don't know what setting was wrong but I borked something along the way and just need to start over on my clocks again.  So strange that it would only hit 3.8ghz and still run speedstep when I had it turned off, but it looks to be working so I'll start my process over.  Thanks for the advice

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

No problem, good luck finding out what will cause the "downclock". Just take one Bios setting at the time.

13 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

3.8 GHz is the base frequency for the 7600K.  Intel Turbo Boost has to be enabled within the processor to use any multiplier higher than 38.  Some motherboards have bios options that are misleading.  They might show that you can disable turbo boost and still run a high multiplier but in the background when they boot up, turbo boost gets enabled. 

There is no reason to disable turbo boost in the bios.  This can cause problems like you are having.

Check that HWiNFO shows that turbo is enabled.

You must be right because I just turned all of that off and it went back to 3.8ghz........... I freaking swear I always used to run it with all of that off......... wierd.  Time to do some tinkering.

Thanks both of you for the advice

edit: yeah it was turbo mode being off that did it......... freakin strange, I must have turned it off one day on a whim and never tested.  Probably why my machine hasn't been running like it used to!!! >_<

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

I am still not used to use the Turbo mode to overclock the CPU. Just tinkered with a LGA 1366 Xeon a while ago. Just upped the FSB from 133 to 166, and still have Turbo mode on top :)

17 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

I am still not used to use the Turbo mode to overclock the CPU. Just tinkered with a LGA 1366 Xeon a while ago. Just upped the FSB from 133 to 166, and still have Turbo mode on top :)

yeah I'm old school for clocking, started with an athlon xp-m and EVERYTHING was hands on there.  I am feeling pretty stupid now, wondering how much of my time was spent actually overclocked and how much of it was spent at base speed.  I know for a fact on my 7700k I was pushing 5.1ghz with HT off so it wasn't always full of the dumb, but at some point I must have looked at that and said BAH I don't need this chocolate tea pot and turned it off.  I went through a couple profiles and they all had it off but I know that the last time I did some clocking I had updated the uefi and I vaguely remember doing it then, so I started there and all of my iterations had it off.

The bright side of being stupid is that now I'm smarter and have free performance lol! also my temps are crazy low since I finally had the balls to liquid metal my delid.

*edit: I know that for some time my machine has been acting odd and noticeably slower than when I got it.  I thought I was doing the right thing by not tweaking it much anymore and figured I'd be happy just sticking with the clocks I had.  Oh well, maybe the division 2 will run better now.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Is the CPU-z updated to the latest version?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Is the CPU-z updated to the latest version?

yeah it is, we figured it out, I had turbo mode off.  I'm teh stupid

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

:) Nice to hear. I wish i had more luck with my 9900k. Getting very hot, delidding has no advantage (soldered IHS) and it makes noises when i run Primegrid. Won't even bother overclocking it. The mainboards usually ignore the 95W TDP on that cpu, so it goes up to 4.7 GHz on all cores, burning 180W on my usecase and even 200, maybe 220 on Prime 95.

Bed time now for me, see you around, and i am glad you cpu runs the way you want now :)