Network speed halved on Asus GL703GS

Alex Atkin UK

I've been banging my head against a brick wall since getting my new laptop.

For some bizarre reason, since day-one I can only get at best half the speed I should over any network connection.  So around 500Mbit on wired and 200-250Mbit on wireless.  If I boot into Fedora 30, I get the expected 900Mbit+ wired and 500Mbit wireless.  These are pure LAN to LAN tests using iperf3, but file transfers confirm the problem.

I've mostly ignored it as obviously most usage is the Internet which is well under those values, but its really starting to bug me.  I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows 10 if I can avoid it, but all the advice I've found online (disabling QoS on the network adapter, turning off TCP Window scaling, etc) fails to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of where else to look?  I had hoped it would magically go away with Windows Updates or drivers, but that doesn't seem to be going to happen.  I have no network security or third-party anti-virus installed, so there shouldn't be anything interfering.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've been banging my head against a brick wall since getting my new laptop.

For some bizarre reason, since day-one I can only get at best half the speed I should over any network connection.  So around 500Mbit on wired and 200-250Mbit on wireless.  If I boot into Fedora 30, I get the expected 900Mbit+ wired and 500Mbit wireless.  These are pure LAN to LAN tests using iperf3, but file transfers confirm the problem.

I've mostly ignored it as obviously most usage is the Internet which is well under those values, but its really starting to bug me.  I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows 10 if I can avoid it, but all the advice I've found online (disabling QoS on the network adapter, turning off TCP Window scaling, etc) fails to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of where else to look?  I had hoped it would magically go away with Windows Updates or drivers, but that doesn't seem to be going to happen.  I have no network security or third-party anti-virus installed, so there shouldn't be anything interfering.

Any other devices connected to the network that could be eating up bandwidth? 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Asus GL703GS

Does that laptop have this shitty "Killer Network" - thingy installed? That'd be the reason for such behaviour. If you ain't got that, then I don't know.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, star_pilot475 said:

Any other devices connected to the network that could be eating up bandwidth? 

OP did say it works fine under Linux, so it's obviously an OS/application - issue.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

OP did say it works fine under Linux, so it's obviously an OS/application - issue.

Ah ok, didn’t catch that sorry.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Does that laptop have this shitty "Killer Network" - thingy installed? That'd be the reason for such behaviour. If you ain't got that, then I don't know.

No, its a standard Intel AC9560.  If it was just wireless I wouldn't be quite as bothered, I'd plug into wired when doing heavy transfers.  But when I initially setup the laptop I copied my 2GB game library from my desktop over wired which was an utter nightmare due to the speed limit as it should have easily maxed out Gigabit ethernet.

Also worth noting, the switch is linked to my iperf3 test server over 10Gig, the WiFi is linked over 1Gig.  I always get good speeds on every other device, plus as mentioned Linux is performing particularly well on the same laptop. (although its likely to be fairly optimal being the same distro on the server)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Well this is interesting, the moment I post about it here the problem seems to have fixed itself. Copying off my NAS  I'm getting 66MB/s over WiFi and 110MB/s over wired.  Weird.

Strangely, iperf3 is still showing terrible results, very odd.

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

its a standard Intel AC9560

You running Windows default drivers or the Intel ones? If its the ones from Windows update then that could be the issue. Id see if Intel offers up to date drivers and see if that makes a difference. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You running Windows default drivers or the Intel ones? If its the ones from Windows update then that could be the issue. Id see if Intel offers up to date drivers and see if that makes a difference. 

I always go for the Intel ones, even motherboard vendors tend to be lazy updating their site.

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I always go for the Intel ones, even motherboard vendors tend to be lazy updating their site.

Sounds like Windows is borked. Or at least some obscure setting is set wrong. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

32 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sounds like Windows is borked. Or at least some obscure setting is set wrong. 

Well it did seem to have sorted itself, so finger crossed.

In fairness, my Fedora 30 desktop is borked right now in a completely different way, so I can't play the "Linux is so much better" card right now. ;)