Can anyone tell me why this happens

So back at the end of November 2013 I decided to build a new gaming rig and wanted a solid processor that wouldn't hurt my gameplay but still ran cool because I was doing an itx build. After a lot of looking on the Internet and thinking I decided on an i5 3350 p because it was on sale and a low wattage processor without onboard graphics but still fast enough to not hurt gaming performance...well the other day I was gaming and decided to hook up a second monitor and watch what my processor was doing and its utilization and watch my utilization and clock and temps on my 290x as well and I noticed the craziest thing...even though my processor is a locked processor rated at 3.1 and 3.3 boost and I am using a gigabyte h77 mobo that doesn't support overclocking my processor was running at 3.7 under single or dual threaded games and 3.5 under 4 threaded games..it really shocked my and I have no clue why its running at that frequency..this doesn't bother or worry me in fact I'm pretty happy it does this but do any of you guys have any idea why this is?

The CPU is just boosting to a higher frequency. This a feature of the chip.

Quote me to get a reply!

So back at the end of November 2013 I decided to build a new gaming rig and wanted a solid processor that wouldn't hurt my gameplay but still ran cool because I was doing an itx build. After a lot of looking on the Internet and thinking I decided on an i5 3350 p because it was on sale and a low wattage processor without onboard graphics but still fast enough to not hurt gaming performance...well the other day I was gaming and decided to hook up a second monitor and watch what my processor was doing and its utilization and watch my utilization and clock and temps on my 290x as well and I noticed the craziest thing...even though my processor is a locked processor rated at 3.1 and 3.3 boost and I am using a gigabyte h77 mobo that doesn't support overclocking my processor was running at 3.7 under single or dual threaded games and 3.5 under 4 threaded games..it really shocked my and I have no clue why its running at that frequency..this doesn't bother or worry me in fact I'm pretty happy it does this but do any of you guys have any idea why this is?

weird it shouldn't be,since as you pointed out it should be limited to a turbo of 3.3ghz.

re-read the post.

Chip has a turbo clock of 3.3ghz,and is going up to 3.7ghz....

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

weird it shouldn't be,since as you pointed out it should be limited to a turbo of 3.3ghz.

re-read the post.

Chip has a turbo clock of 3.3ghz,and is going up to 3.7ghz....

Yea its crazy especially since its h77 instead of z77 and h77 doesn't support over clocking at all...it wouldn't surprise me much if it was z77 because even though its locked its got some extra multiplier to play with I've seen common results on websites of 3.9 out of these on a z77

This^^^ it is the Auto setting of the CPU's frequency in the motherboard.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Yea its crazy especially since its h77 instead of z77 and h77 doesn't support over clocking at all...it wouldn't surprise me much if it was z77 because even though its locked its got some extra multiplier to play with I've seen common results on websites of 3.9 out of these on a z77

Is there an enhanced turbo boost option in the bios?

H77 can oc. There were motherboards with bios' that you can oc with on a h77 board but Intel just doesn't want us to be able to use h77 for oc'ing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Turbo boost is limited to boost 100MHz x amount of cores. If you are only utilizing 1 core on your program, it uses all the boost capabilities on 1 core, making it boost 3.3 - > 3.7. If you are using all 4 cores on 1 program, it applies 100MHz boost on all cores and so on.

Turbo boost is limited to boost 100MHz x amount of cores. If you are only utilizing 1 core on your program, it uses all the boost capabilities on 1 core, making it boost 3.3 - > 3.7. If you are using all 4 cores on 1 program, it applies 100MHz boost on all cores and so on.

Ah very helpful thank you very much