Would I have to reinstall windows with a new motherboard?

Hi, so I ordered am Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 to replace my current P8H67-M pro motherboard (the old one itself is not that old, I got it in 2018 when it came with a prebuilt that I modded but it was originally made in 2012) and I was wondering if I would have to reinstall windows, I have seen multiple online answers say that you don't and some say you do, there's even some videos showing it but it kind of goes through a lot of steps and requires some software. Was also wondering does anyone have any experience with getting a new motherboard, and if so, did you have to reinstall windows? If not, I think I would definetely have to download new drivers off the manufacturer's website. And If I do have to reinstall it, should I backup my data to an external drive to be careful incase something went wrong? I have also not put the motherboard in yet. i appreciate it. tell me if you need specs also, I am running Windows 10 64 bit version 1709.

Over the years I think I've had 2 computers that did need windows reactivating and 2 that didn't, so your mileage may vary, but it's usually a good idea to have a clean windows install when changing the motherboard & CPU just to avoid any annoying software conflicts.

No, but you need to update some drivers after the swap.

I did that on my PC when I swapped my motherboard. There was no deactivation of the windows. That is what I experienced.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

11 minutes ago, MegaMaximus said:

Hi, so I ordered am Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 to replace my current P8H67-M pro motherboard (the old one itself is not that old, I got it in 2018 when it came with a prebuilt that I modded but it was originally made in 2012) and I was wondering if I would have to reinstall windows, I have seen multiple online answers say that you don't and some say you do, there's even some videos showing it but it kind of goes through a lot of steps and requires some software. Was also wondering does anyone have any experience with getting a new motherboard, and if so, did you have to reinstall windows? If not, I think I would definetely have to download new drivers off the manufacturer's website. And If I do have to reinstall it, should I backup my data to an external drive to be careful incase something went wrong? I have also not put the motherboard in yet. i appreciate it. tell me if you need specs also, I am running Windows 10 64 bit version 1709.

When I installed my ASUS Prime z370-a and new CPU I had to reactivate my windows. I went to go find my super old windows 8.1 (even though i had windows 10 at the time) disk and found an activation code in the back of the package, typed it in and then the activate windows watermark went away. 

1 hour ago, starcoaster said:

you don't have to but it might be an idea - fresh start and only the Z390 drivers present

be prepared for windows to deactivate itself

Oh yeah that's another thing, I've seen a video where there's a tutorial of putting your microsoft account instead of local so your product key is put on your microsoft account and it'll reactivate when I sign back in, Well, I think I am good to go. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Fluffy_1337 said:

When I installed my ASUS Prime z370-a and new CPU I had to reactivate my windows. I went to go find my super old windows 8.1 (even though i had windows 10 at the time) disk and found an activation code in the back of the package, typed it in and then the activate windows watermark went away. 

So when you installed it did you have to reinstall windows or just reactivate and not reinstall it?

1 hour ago, MegaMaximus said:

Oh yeah that's another thing, I've seen a video where there's a tutorial of putting your microsoft account instead of local so your product key is put on your microsoft account and it'll reactivate when I sign back in, Well, I think I am good to go. Thanks! 

So when you installed it did you have to reinstall windows or just reactivate and not reinstall it?

I just needed to go into my settings on windows and type in the key. Then they water mark dissapeared. Not much to it tbh. I was in the same boat as you. I thought It was going to be a whole ordeal