Recommendations for upgrade

Crimson L
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
8 minutes ago, Crimson L said:

£300 tops. I only want to get either a CPU or a GPU for the time being. Not both just yet.

lower the Graphics setting a bit. going from ultra to high-ultra is a lot less memmory usage without any visual fidelity loss. 

get a 3600 and a B450 Board for 300£ on the 7th. 

you will have to get the store to update the BIOS. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£196.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £266.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-19 11:25 BST+0100

placeholder CPU for the r5 3600. 

the Mobo is either that one or these:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/8Wzkcf/msi-x470-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy97YJ/msi-b450-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk

any leftovers you can put towards a GPU will be put towards a GPU (edit: 10/10 perfect english)

Upgrade  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which one to upgrade?

• CPU
    • GPU

Hey folks!

So, I'll just jump right into it... Money is on a budget for one item only. I need to decide whether to get a new GPU or a new CPU first. I currently have a GTA 1060 3gb (I know, I know) and an Intel 6600k. My CPU frequently tops out at 100% when playing CPU intensive games (with background apps such as Discord running). However my GPU frequently runs out of memory after extended periods of playing time, or when playing games on Ultra settings (1080p). If I'm going to be upgrading my CPU I'd like to stick to the same socket type. What do you guys & girls think I should upgrade first? And to what?

Thanks in advance :)

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

depends on the budget

Not really concerned on the budget per item too much. I just can't afford to blow money on both items in general. Just looking for something that has a good price/performance ratio and will be suitable for 1080p gaming on High/Ultra. Don't want anything overkill.

Just now, Crimson L said:

Not really concerned on the budget per item too much. I just can't afford to blow money on both items in general. Just looking for something that has a good price/performance ratio and will be suitable for 1080p gaming on High/Ultra. Don't want anything overkill.

doesnt tell us anything about the budget.............

its simple, we cant recommend when there is no budget on the table. 

2 minutes ago, Crimson L said:

Say a number

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Just now, GoldenLag said:

doesnt tell us anything about the budget.............

its simple, we cant recommend when there is no budget on the table. 

£250-300 ($300-380) CPU --- £250-300 ($300-380) GPU

is this 

300£ tops or is this 600£ tops?

I would recommend switching to ryzen on the 7th July. For £300 you could get  a new mobo and a Ryzen 5 3600x. Intel is not a good value anymore

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

is this 

300£ tops or is this 600£ tops?

£300 tops. I only want to get either a CPU or a GPU for the time being. Not both just yet.

I would recommend switching to ryzen on the 7th July. For £300 you could get  a new mobo and a Ryzen 5 3600x. Intel is not a good value anymore

Something I will consider, if it works out being good value, and would not require me getting too many new parts.

8 minutes ago, Crimson L said:

lower the Graphics setting a bit. going from ultra to high-ultra is a lot less memmory usage without any visual fidelity loss. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£196.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £266.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-19 11:25 BST+0100

placeholder CPU for the r5 3600. 

the Mobo is either that one or these:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/8Wzkcf/msi-x470-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy97YJ/msi-b450-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk

any leftovers you can put towards a GPU will be put towards a GPU (edit: 10/10 perfect english)

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

lower the Graphics setting a bit. going from ultra to high-ultra is a lot less memory usage without any visual fidelity loss. 

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'm moving away from blue this time around.

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

One last question (sorry to be a pain) Any particular difference between these two? Any reason to go for one over the other?

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'm moving away from blue this time around.

One last question (sorry to be a pain) Any particular difference between these two? Any reason to go for one over the other?

the two i mentioned last have better VRM and probably Ram tracing than the first i mentioned in the build. 

so if you are more interested in overclocking or the look of the latter mobos go with those. 

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

any leftovers you can put towards a GPU will be put towards a GPU

?????

30 minutes ago, Crimson L said:

I disagree. A GPU upgrade will benefit you more, and you can overclock your CPU to keep up for a while longer.

24 minutes ago, Crunken said:

a 2060 perhaps? works great at max settings at 1080p, might be over budget though

This or the 1660Ti is where I would be looking if I were you.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, vojta.pokorny said:

I disagree. A GPU upgrade will benefit you more, and you can overclock your CPU to keep up for a while longer.

he is experiencing stuttering. like pretty much all other 4c/4t CPU users these days. 

sadly isnt solved by upgrading the GPU. and getting the CPU to stretch its legs is just to tweak some settings. 

could allways sell the 1060 3GB and pick up an rx 580 for literally no loss used.