"Gaming laptop" versus "non-gaming" laptop

So I'm pretty new to the world of PCs and laptops. I'm going off to college, and I was wondering if a laptop that's oriented towards gamers would perform as well when compared to a laptop that's meant more for the typical person. Specifically, I was looking at the zephyrus ga502 (gaming) and the dell inspiron 4k (non-gaming). I figured that because they're both *relatively* similar prices, than I might as well go for the zephyrus so I can game on it, as well as use it for school work. Does my rationale make sense, or would the zephyrus  be ill-suited for classwork? 

'gaming' doesn't really mean anything, it's just for marketing.

you can get regular work oriernted laptops that game just fine because they have a dedicated gpu, and you can get 'gaming' laptops that do literally the exact same that regular laptops can do.

Instead of paying attention to the marketing go look at the specs list and read reviews.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

47 minutes ago, jkbergner said:

So I'm pretty new to the world of PCs and laptops. I'm going off to college, and I was wondering if a laptop that's oriented towards gamers would perform as well when compared to a laptop that's meant more for the typical person. Specifically, I was looking at the zephyrus ga502 (gaming) and the dell inspiron 4k (non-gaming). I figured that because they're both *relatively* similar prices, than I might as well go for the zephyrus so I can game on it, as well as use it for school work. Does my rationale make sense, or would the zephyrus  be ill-suited for classwork? 

Gaming just means it has a proper and dedicated GPU. Rest all depends on specs, as in, what CPU, how much and how fast is the RAM, storage options etc.

I recommend the Dell XPS 15 or ASUS Zephyrus or MSI P65

If you get it from HIDevolution which I highly recommend due to their superb quality control and customer service plus their thermal mods which IMO is a MUST in today's laptops. In the laptop configurator, select "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads", that upgrade by itself which only costs around 90 bucks reduces temps by up to 15c!

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Choosing the right model is more important

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128