iMac 2019 Questions

Hi All,

My dad got himself a DJI Osmo Pocket to make cycling videos, and family videos etc. Now he has been looking at a 2019 iMac to use for this. This will mostly be used for normal web browsing and some light-medium Adobe Premiere (4K but Smaller Projects), Lightroom & Photoshop. We are set on getting the 27" 5K Model with the  3.7GHz 6-core 9th-gen i5 (Probably not worth the i9 for his use case). It comes with 8GB ram but I will be adding another 16GB to this right away as its much cheaper than adding the 16GB from Apple. The only thing that we are struggling to decide on is storage. I have a Synology NAS that I archive all my projects, media etc too. He would be able to do the same so I'm thinking the 512GB SSD would be enough for what he would be doing. But he seems to be sliding towards the idea of the larger storage (future Proof), Either the 2/3TB Fusion drive or maybe even the 1TB SSD but I really don't think he will require that much fast storage if he is bulk storing on the NAS. I would prefer the performance of the SSD for Premiere media. Not really sure how the fusion drive stacks up. 

Only other thing I don't suppose it would be worth upgrading from the Radeon Pro 580X 8GB to the Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB. He won't be gaming at all just the Adobe Suite as mentioned above. 

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

The 512GB SSD and maybe an external drive or storage server would be perfect I prefer standard SSDs over fusion drives personally. But also depending on the price difference between the 512 and the 1tb it could be worth the upgrade.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

My advice would be... Upgrade that crapshit called fusion drive into a real SSD.

You don't want to pay 2k+ bucks and run your OS on a slow loud HDD. We're not in 2010 anymore ^^"

(i personally find it way more insulting, that Apple really puts Fusion drives in, than them wanting 240 bucks for every Ram / SSD upgrade in their macbooks.)

Fusion only means, it's a normal HDD; but with a small SSD Cache, that stores some often accessed files to load them faster. Mostly 16gb in size only.

If you need more storage for large files, just get a cheap external HDD.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:01 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

The 512GB SSD and maybe an external drive or storage server would be perfect I prefer standard SSDs over fusion drives personally. But also depending on the price difference between the 512 and the 1tb it could be worth the upgrade.

Yea, I agree. Its £90 for the 512GB over the 2TB fusion. The 1TB SSD is a further £360. So probably not really worth it as he won't have any large projects on go at one time.  Everything will be Archived to the NAS.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, Darkseth said:

My advice would be... Upgrade that crapshit called fusion drive into a real SSD.

You don't want to pay 2k+ bucks and run your OS on a slow loud HDD. We're not in 2010 anymore ^^"

(i personally find it way more insulting, that Apple really puts Fusion drives in, than them wanting 240 bucks for every Ram / SSD upgrade in their macbooks.)

Fusion only means, it's a normal HDD; but with a small SSD Cache, that stores some often accessed files to load them faster. Mostly 16gb in size only.

If you need more storage for large files, just get a cheap external HDD.

Agreed, Id prefer the SSD. I wasn't sure how big the fusion cash is but that's not very big at all. 

The completed projects and everything will be sorted on the NAS when completed