GTX 1070 question

xReqt

My GTX 1070 goes to 1923mhz and it says it can only go upto like 1700mhz, what is the issue as when it does it goes EXTREMELY hot to like 70-75c 

I have an i7-8700

16gb ram

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

16GB DDR4 Crucial ram (2133mhz)

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

----------------------------------------------------------

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

2 minutes ago, xReqt said:

EXTREMELY hot to like 70-75c

"Extreme" by what measure? That's a normal GPU temp.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@fasauceome at low settings on rust? as well as why is it going over its boost?

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

1 minute ago, xReqt said:

@fasauceome at low settings on rust? as well as why is it going over its boost?

There is a software feature called "GPU boost" that all Nvidia cards do, which will automatically turbo your graphics card up if you have the power and thermal overhead to handle it. It's quite handy, if you're not trying to squeeze every last MHz out of it via overclock it's a great free performance boost.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@fasauceome any way to turn it off or remove the feature?

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

7 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Is there a purpose for that?

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Why would you want to lol its not hot?

@fasauceome What do you recommend setting my fans on, I can set curve but prefer settings it to a % and leaving it to never worry again as idle is going high temps to 49-53c. And gaming most games it goes to 70-77c.

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

4 minutes ago, xReqt said:

@fasauceome What do you recommend setting my fans on, I can set curve but prefer settings it to a % and leaving it to never worry again as idle is going high temps to 49-53c. And gaming most games it goes to 70-77c.

If you download MSI afterburner, you can set a clock speed offset, a negative offset will make your clock speeds top out at a lower number. You can also set a custom fan curve. Is your fan noise too high or something? You keep referring to temperatures but your temps are absolutely fine. Your idle temps are probably also with the fans turned off, because there's no reason for the fans to spin when the GPU isnt doing work.

Primary PC:

@fasauceome Im using Firestorm. Its like MSI AB I believe. Does this sound about right for a good fan curve 20% till 45 then 40% till 50 and then 50% until 60 then 60% till 70% then 100% through out 

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

@fasauceome Im using Firestorm. Its like MSI AB I believe. Does this sound about right for a good fan curve 20% till 45 then 40% till 50 and then 50% until 60 then 60% till 70% then 100% through out 

No because then your fans will always be on and you'll never be able to use 0 rpm mode.

Primary PC:

@fasauceome So it going over its boost clock speed is 100% safe, correct? also My fans cool all of my over components just fine only the gpu outputting above 55c

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

Just now, xReqt said:

@fasauceome So it going over its boost clock speed is 100% safe, correct? also My fans cool all of my over components just fine only the gpu outputting above 55c

Everything you've listed about your GPU operation is perfectly safe, and you have no reason to change anything. That's actually quite good, boost clock topping out close to 2000MHz on a Pascal card is what you want. Like I said, it's free performance if your GPU is up to the task, and it certainly is.

Primary PC:

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

No because then your fans will always be on and you'll never be able to use 0 rpm mode.

The sound doesn't bother my as I have headphones on. I barely ever heard it when im gaming and the only time i'd ever hear it is if I am typing on a forum or doing school work. so It doesn't bother me.

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

@fasauceome Would my GPU last least 3 years with none stop fan usage (Ik the gpu wont break cus of the fans but the fans may) do you think keeping the fans below 80% will give them a chance of reaching 3 years as I just got it today.

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

The sound doesn't bother my as I have headphones on. I barely ever heard it when im gaming and the only time i'd ever hear it is if I am typing on a forum or doing school work. so It doesn't bother me.

In that case you're set to leave it as it is, the fans will automatically keep things nice and cool as they already are, whether they need to ramp up or slow down. You don't need to worry about lifespan either, it's set to go for years and years like this.

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC:

@fasauceome So just to clarify its ok to be like 49-55c idle and 72c on low settings on rust. 

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

3 minutes ago, xReqt said:

@fasauceome So just to clarify its ok to be like 49-55c idle and 72c on low settings on rust. 

Totally fine. My own GPU has a blower so it runs around 83 when gaming, which is still all good.

Primary PC: