Building a PC system for a console guy

DezGalbie

My flatmate has traditionally been a console guy. He knows some of the benefits of PC gaming and isn't against PC gaming, but he says he doesn't have the money to buy a PC. The only reason he has a PS4 is because it was a christmas gift from someone a couple years back. If not for that he would probably still be on PS3.

So, his birthday is in August and I was thinking about trying to piece together a budget PC system for him as best as I can. My problem is I'm not sure about what his preferences would be for certain things. Like I don't know if he would want a super-portable itx build or would prefer something bigger with more pcie slots for upgrade, what kind of colour scheme he would like in a PC etc. He would obviously be grateful to get any kind of system, but the closer I can get it to his preferences then the better a gift it would be.

I'm wary about just asking him straight out because I think he will figure out my intention and it will ruin the surprise (especially since we've talked about him getting a PC a couple of times before).

Do you guys have tips or tricks to try and finesse this kind of info out of him without giving the game away?