Elgato HD60 Pro

Go to solution Solved by Jon Jon,

Honestly, a 4C/4T part isn't going to cut it for what you want to do.

I was down this road 3 years ago using my old overclocked i5-3470 to 4ghz and my HD60 Pro.

Fact is, even with the dedicated resources, you still need the compute cycles to run the software as well as game at the same time.

I would suggest trying Relive and skipping OBS for now to see what your performance is like and what you can do.

From there, try offloading OBS to your R9 380X and see if that helps you.

Ultimately, You should be planning to move to an 8C/16T build if you want to get serious with doing this.

Games are getting more demanding, and even with my first gen Ryzen 7, I can bring it to its knees depending on the quality of recording and streaming that I am doing while gaming.

So, long story short my computer isn't powerful enough to run AAA games and record decently with OBS. I have been looking into the Elgato HD60 Pro as it has an onboard encoder in the hope this takes the stress off my CPU (I know I'll have to use Elgato software I'm not too fussed). What I've been reading is it's not possible to transfer data to the capture card and back through the PCI-E card which is why it can't be used 'internally' as such. But what if I use the HDMI out on my GPU and put it straight into the card and then the out into my monitor, would this be feasible?

Also would having an ultrawide-monitor (2560x1080) cause any issues doing it this way or with the capture card in general?

PC Spec:

I5 6600K

R9 380X

16GB DDR3

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Ps: I didn't know what category this falls under

So you mean to use it like it was made to? The pass through function or to duplicate the video from the gpu is how its supposed to be used. 

The pc still has to do the work, encoding with cpu or gpu. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 6/16/2019 at 9:57 PM, GoldenLag said:

Why not use radeon relive?

Should record just fine.

I didn't know that was a thing ?

20 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

So you mean to use it like it was made to? The pass through function or to duplicate the video from the gpu is how its supposed to be used. 

The pc still has to do the work, encoding with cpu or gpu. 

I thought the HD60 pro has a build in encoder that would do most of the work?

On 6/16/2019 at 7:55 AM, LuX_ said:

But what if I use the HDMI out on my GPU and put it straight into the card and then the out into my monitor, would this be feasible?

This should work just fine. And yes the HD60 pro has a built in encoder which means it would handle the process of  processing, compressing and mixing the video and audio (a feature my external HD60s lacks)

AMD HD Relive/ Nvidia Shadowplay are great. Never used relive but Shadowplay has 0 impact on the performance of my GPU when playing games and recording simultaneously (Not sure about streaming though, since I would have to dedicate CPU or GPU power to encoding)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Honestly, a 4C/4T part isn't going to cut it for what you want to do.

I was down this road 3 years ago using my old overclocked i5-3470 to 4ghz and my HD60 Pro.

Fact is, even with the dedicated resources, you still need the compute cycles to run the software as well as game at the same time.

I would suggest trying Relive and skipping OBS for now to see what your performance is like and what you can do.

From there, try offloading OBS to your R9 380X and see if that helps you.

Ultimately, You should be planning to move to an 8C/16T build if you want to get serious with doing this.

Games are getting more demanding, and even with my first gen Ryzen 7, I can bring it to its knees depending on the quality of recording and streaming that I am doing while gaming.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard