CO2/kWh home PC vs Xcloud or Stadia?

Gronk

What should the green gamer choose?

Is it possible to compare the carbon footprint of one hour of gaming on a home PC to one hour of gaming on Xcloud or Stadia?

Cloud computing may have better efficiency at the data centre, but then there is the transmission of that high bit rate from centre to home right down to the network gear plugged into your wall at home.

Is this something Microsoft and Google have a marketing response on?

The related question is how often should a green gamer upgrade their system?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/google-stadia-is-the-future-of-gaming-and-thats-bad-news-for-earth/

A 2018 study published by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory puts numbers to the problem. It found that “cloud-based gaming is by far the most energy-intensive form of gaming via the Internet […]” and that, depending on the device and load, cloud gaming might increase overall consumption by up to 300 percent.”

15 minutes ago, Gronk said:

one hour of gaming on a home PC to one hour of gaming on Xcloud or Stadia?

pc serves 1 user, while cloud gaming runs on server 24/7 for many(or no) users 

I feel as if you're seriously concerned about the environment and trying to lead a 'green' life, you likely have solar panels installed or live in an area that uses a lot of renewable energy sources. For that reason alone I would say that local gaming would be more 'green'.

As for how often to upgrade, can go either way. Upgrading often can generate more waste as well as the environmental impact of manufacturing. On the other hand modern parts tend to be more power efficient than their older counterparts.

I feel like changing your habits would have the biggest impact. Acts like putting your PC & monitors to sleep when you're not using it rather than just leaving it idle on desktop.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you have a good used market in your area, buying and selling used locally can be a good thing for the environment. At that point you can upgrade anytime you get a good deal, just sell the old parts while they're still usable.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:19 PM, chckovsky said:

If you have a good used market in your area, buying and selling used locally can be a good thing for the environment. At that point you can upgrade anytime you get a good deal, just sell the old parts while they're still usable.

You are absolutely right here. Green energy is meant to help the environment. Yet, I believe everything in the world has its pros and cons. For the green energy you can find it here. Overall, green energy represents any form of regenerated energy by completely renewable means like solar polar, wind power, etc.