Newbie help

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Make sure you remove the pad on the right side as well close to the power plugs. A photo of the actual card with the actual thermal pads right before you put the block on is desirable instead of a mock up.

yep i did that, when i first put it on the block didnt even go to that part of the pcb lol. going to leave witcher 3 overnight on and see how temps equalize, then will recalculate c over ambient. hoping for an improvement

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

18 hours ago, For Science! said:

Since I cannot rule out that the block installation was somehow compromised (i.e. pic of PCB for block installation) I will not comment on whether you have been "scammed" or not. However I guess I would anticipate that the temperatures of the GPU exceeding the CPU in a standard waterloop with a 2070+8700K to be the otherway around.

EKWB are usually very liberal when a customer thinks that a product does not meet expected performance and typically will accept RMA claims of this nature (usually replacing the block in question to rule out a faulty individual product) and so this is what I would suggest as a next course of action.

i really dont understand anymore, did i put too much thermal paste this time on my cpu? gpu temps are ffar worse than before what is going on... 40c over ambient on gpu...

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

1 hour ago, Flowroro said:

How can i know how much thermal paste you put on if you do not post a picture. I will withdraw from this thread until sufficient information is provided. Good luck.

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

How can i know how much thermal paste you put on if you do not post a picture. I will withdraw from this thread until sufficient information is provided. Good luck.

you cant put too less thermal paste, i did it exactly like urs, a very generous amount. enough to cover it all, thermal paste is sufficient 10000%. contact is not as good as urs where it fully squishes it out to the point where half the gpu is visible when u remove the block. i did it in cross pattern.

it doesnt matter if u put too much paste this isnt a factor

11 hours ago, fabafaba said:

That sounds like too much mounting pressure on the GPU die, not incorrect thermal pad application.

61LT9MkgGML._SL1500_.jpg.bd7456c255cbb2a8a5aafb9f84786c2a.jpg

You can see on this block, how the portion that touches the die is slightly proud of the "base level" of the block. If you tighten the screws around there too much, you pull the PCB down around the die, which in turn gets pushed up, actually decreassing the mounting pressure in the middle of the die and possibly seperating the TIM. You also run the risk of seperating the layers of the PCB when it bends too much, cracking the solderjoints under the GPU die or even cracking the die when the pressure on the edges of the die is too high and the pressure in the middle is too low. When installing a GPU block you'll have to pay close attention to make sure the PCB doesn't bend and is parallel to the edge of the block. Just tighten the screws until you feel a resistance, then check for bends and if there aren't any, go a little tighter and check again. Once you see a slight bend, you'll want to back the screws off by a quarter turn or so.

Do I have to screw in the screw as hard as I possibly can? Because clearly screwing till there’s a resistance where I can’t screw lightly anymore isn’t working, something is preventing the block from fully being on the gpu. Not thermal pads, basically just wasted 2 hours trying to remove thermal pads that weren’t supposed to be there and it make negative difference increasing temps. I don’t understand anymore is it just my gpu is incompatible. It was only visually inspected for comparability. Sufficient thermal paste is used that is not a factor. Or is this just a trash product and I’ve been scammed? Every time I remove the block the thermal paste there’s always a noticeable amount of paste thickness, not like when I remove the block off the gpu and the pasteboard left is ultra thin.