Which RAM slots do I populate?

Go to solution Solved by porina,
5 minutes ago, Chris230291 said:

Would adding the 2 spare sticks hurt performance though? The board came with 2 sticks and I bought a 128GB set of the same model number.

May as well use it if it wont hurt anything? 128 already overkill for me but was only a few quid more than 64.

It will make the CPU on one socket (whichever one you put the two extra modules in) work sometimes in only dual channel mode, not always quad channel. Chances are, for anything you're likely to run on it, you'll never notice the difference. Personally I'd still leave it out just so that the ram is always max performance, even if it is less than max capacity.

Hi. Got a X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard and 18 RAM sticks.

Little confused on which slots I should populate first.

Do a short change each CPU or fill one and leave some blank on the other?

Do I populate the "1" slots first or fill the channels.

Really no clue. Can anyone help?

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C606_602/MNL-1258.pdf

Cheers,

Chris

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Go actually read the manual you already found!!!

Screenshot_11.png

EVERYTHING you need is in there. Its not a consumer model with shitty manual...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I find it a little confusing though.

Do I share memory equally across both CPU or do I fill one side and not the other?

Do I put 2 sticks in some banks and populate all "1" slots or go for complete banks instead?

Chris

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

The manual does say on bottom pf page 2-12.

Personally I'd run 16 modules, 2 per channel per socket. This keeps things balanced and consistent. Leave the other two unused as spares.

Edit: I think that is fill all the blue slots, and also the one closer to the CPU from each of the blue slots.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks for the reply.

Would adding the 2 spare sticks hurt performance though? The board came with 2 sticks and I bought a 128GB set of the same model number.

May as well use it if it wont hurt anything? 128 already overkill for me but was only a few quid more than 64.

It will make the CPU on one socket (whichever one you put the two extra modules in) work sometimes in only dual channel mode, not always quad channel. Chances are, for anything you're likely to run on it, you'll never notice the difference. Personally I'd still leave it out just so that the ram is always max performance, even if it is less than max capacity.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Ok thanks I will just leave them spare.

Thanks for the advice.