Will an unactivated version of windows cause problems

I just built a new pc, i9-9900k and 2080ti, and it freezes for literally no reason. Ill restart, it'll freeze, videos will keep playing but i cant move anything, and then all of the inputs i made will pop up all at once. It makes no sense.

no, I've been using unactivated windows for years and it's all good performance wise

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I installed new video drivers on top of old ones and didnt uninstall the old ones. Do you think that could be it?

Only with your sanity due to the watermark and not being able to change the background.

Sounds like you're having some kind of driver issue...

1 minute ago, Giescul said:

I installed new video drivers on top of old ones and didnt uninstall the old ones. Do you think that could be it?

Yep that is it. Uninstall them all with DDU and then only install the new drivers.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Only with your sanity due to the watermark and not being able to change the background.

use wallpaper engine

Just now, imreloadin said:

Yep that is it. Uninstall them all with DDU and then only install the new drivers.

Oh ok. There's no watermark for some reason, don't know why. I'm not complaining though

I think it was the drivers. I uninstalled them and everythig (seems to be) working perfectly. Wish me luck, I've nearly had a heart attack when thinking that the computer was damaged in some way.

Installing new drivers... wish me luck

If you go into Device Manager and go to View > Show Hidden Devices then you can also uninstall anything else from your old build.  And if you uninstall a driver for hardware currently installed then it will simply be re-installed by Windows.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

If you go into Device Manager and go to View > Show Hidden Devices then you can also uninstall anything else from your old build.  And if you uninstall a driver for hardware currently installed then it will simply be re-installed by Windows.  

I had installed two sets of drivers by accident, the hardware didnt change in between installs

16 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

You can still change the background with an unactivated version of Windows, you just have to right click on an image and select "Set as desktop background". Not sure why they would keep this in, but prevent you from doing it through the settings menu though...

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

54 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

use wallpaper engine

Ehh I'd rather not pay for something to fix it lol.