Open back or closed back?

Toheed

I have option of

HyperX Cloud Alpha (85$ new)

Massdrop pc 37x(sennheiser one)(90$ used)

This will be my first time buying an expensive headset. I am using akg headphone(s9+ ones) and they are pretty good but they are about to break so I want a new headset for gaming.

I don't know the sound quality difference of open back or closed back headsets. Alpha is closed while massdrop is open back. Which one should I get? Also notice the price, 1 is brand new while the other one is 2 weeks used and expensive. Is it worth it? Or should I buy some cheap hyperx stinger? I don't know,I can't make up my mind that if it is really worth spending this much on headset.

I play csgo, apex, battlefield, r6 siege and will probably use the headsets for youtube etc on my cellphone too.

people around you can hear what you're listening to clearly with open back, is that okay?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

people around you can hear what you're listening to clearly with open back, is that okay?

If there is not much sound quality difference between Alpha and Massdrop one then I am fine with it because I don't tend to listen "weird" stuff in public :D . I just want a headset mainly for gaming. 

If you're gonna use it for both gaming and with you're cellphone i'd personally go for earbuds instead, but if you want a good gaming headset the cooler master headset mh752 are really good for their price if you want brand new ones (closed back and they're very minimal if you're gonna use it outside with your phone for calls, etc)

Otherwise the open back massdrops probably sound the best, never used them myself but a lot of people like them, but as Jurrunio said people around you can hear what you're listening to, and you can hear them as well. With closed back it cancels the outside noise

5 minutes ago, Crunken said:

If you're gonna use it for both gaming and with you're cellphone i'd personally go for earbuds instead, but if you want a good gaming headset the cooler master headset mh752 are really good for their price if you want brand new ones (closed back and they're very minimal if you're gonna use it outside with your phone for calls, etc)

Otherwise the open back massdrops probably sound the best, never used them myself but a lot of people like them, but as Jurrunio said people around you can hear what you're listening to, and you can hear them as well. With closed back it cancels the outside noise

I was thinking about earbuds aswell but I heard that they are not good at telling the position of the enemies while they are moving. My akg does a good job but it is not loud enough and I can't hear footsteps unless they are really close.

Btw I will checkout the coolermaster one rn maybe. And pc 37x is used for 90$ I dunno if it is worth it at that price without warranty.

Sound preference is a personal thing so we can't answer that part. I do prefer open myself, but you get less sound isolation both ways. You hear more of what's around you, and more sound can leak out so others can hear you too. That's much reduced with closed.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

25 minutes ago, Toheed said:

I was thinking about earbuds aswell but I heard that they are not good at telling the position of the enemies while they are moving. My akg does a good job but it is not loud enough and I can't hear footsteps unless they are really close.

Btw I will checkout the coolermaster one rn maybe. And pc 37x is used for 90$ I dunno if it is worth it at that price without warranty.

Yeah without warranty it's a bit of a gamble, i'd go for the Coolermasters if you want a headset, but earbuds can be good too in games. I've used the AKG's while playing siege and CSGO as well as the Marshall Mode EQ for gaming. If you get a good pair they'll be loud enough, most gaming headsets go for more bass to make explosions and gun shots sound deeper, while earbuds are more flat with more high end so you can hear footsteps. So if you get a good pair (around same price as those headsets you're looking at) you'll get good sound and can still use them for competitive games, and they wont be a hassle to use with you're phone

10 minutes ago, Crunken said:

Yeah without warranty it's a bit of a gamble, i'd go for the Coolermasters if you want a headset, but earbuds can be good too in games. I've used the AKG's while playing siege and CSGO as well as the Marshall Mode EQ for gaming. If you get a good pair they'll be loud enough, most gaming headsets go for more bass to make explosions and gun shots sound deeper, while earbuds are more flat with more high end so you can hear footsteps. So if you get a good pair (around same price as those headsets you're looking at) you'll get good sound and can still use them for competitive games, and they wont be a hassle to use with you're phone

So there are 2 decent earphones 

HyperX earphone and Razer Hammerhead pro.

I like the look of the hyperX. I will check reviews of both.

12 minutes ago, porina said:

Sound preference is a personal thing so we can't answer that part. I do prefer open myself, but you get less sound isolation both ways. You hear more of what's around you, and more sound can leak out so others can hear you too. That's much reduced with closed.

I am now thinking about getting good earphones so they can be used with my cellphone too.

1 hour ago, Toheed said:

So there are 2 decent earphones 

HyperX earphone and Razer Hammerhead pro.

I like the look of the hyperX. I will check reviews of both.

Yeah i was looking at them as well when i was getting earbuds to game with, i went with the marshall mode eq though since there was a good deal on them at my local store, they've been really good in Rainbow six siege, can hear footsteps that some of my friends can't hear sometimes. Whichever you get though be sure to try the different sizes on the rubber piece's, they usually change the sound quite a lot

3 hours ago, Toheed said:

I am now thinking about getting good earphones so they can be used with my cellphone too.

My favorite items to game with are tin hifi t2  have the widest soundstage at under a $100 and the imaging is surprisingly great. But for gaming just get a good headphone like a dt770 32 ohm and your phone and PC will be able to power it and will sound much better then what you already are thinking about or takstar pro 82, m40x , status audio cb1, and few more options I can list out if you wanna go this direction instead

For Playing the games you wanna play your way better off just getting any of the headsets you listed I lean towards the Sennheiser. Over getting earphones as the earphones are just not as good for gaming as headphones unless you spend a stupid amount of money on expensive iems