Repairing a gameboy advance sp

azurite2

I got a gameboy advance sp at a garage sale a few weeks back, wasn't working at all. I've managed to get it working but it wont charge. I have a battery from another sp that works fine and will charge in my original sp, but not the new one. One of the fuses was out and I just replaced it, but it still wont charge. My best guess at this point is that the charger port is dead. Is there any way I can check that? Or anything else I should try? Thanks for the help!

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

So if I'm understanding correctly, the battery on the garage sale SP is known working, by you testing it in your known working own SP?

If so, did you try the battery from the known working SP in the garage sale SP? 

If you have two devices, one working and one not working you can switch around some components until you find out the issue. You could of course check for continuity between the charge port and battery contacts, but you could bypass the charging port for now by using another battery and seeing what happens.

What exactly does and does not happen on the garage sale SP. Do the lights turn on (even for second), do you have screen image, does the backlight/frontlight do anything?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, Minibois said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, the battery on the garage sale SP is known working, by you testing it in your known working own SP?

If so, did you try the battery from the known working SP in the garage sale SP? 

If you have two devices, one working and one not working you can switch around some components until you find out the issue. You could of course check for continuity between the charge port and battery contacts, but you could bypass the charging port for now by using another battery and seeing what happens.

What exactly does and does not happen on the garage sale SP. Do the lights turn on (even for second), do you have screen image, does the backlight/frontlight do anything?

The battery from the garage sale sp was DOA but the battery from the working sp was fine and works in the garage sale sp. Continuity is fine in both points for the battery contacts. I'm not sure where I need to test continuity on the charge port. The garage sale sp will power on, the screen works fine and I can play games. Before I replaced the F2 fuse the orange charging light would occasionally turn on for a split second before turning off when the charging cable was plugged in. Can't seem to replicate that now, but there is continuity on both the F1 and F2 fuses now. 

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Just now, azurite2 said:

The battery from the garage sale sp was DOA but the battery from the working sp was fine and works in the garage sale sp. Continuity is fine in both points for the battery contacts. I'm not sure where I need to test continuity on the charge port. The garage sale sp will power on, the screen works fine and I can play games. Before I replaced the F2 fuse the orange charging light would occasionally turn on for a split second before turning off when the charging cable was plugged in. Can't seem to replicate that now, but there is continuity on both the F1 and F2 fuses now. 

From what I'm hearing now, wouldn't the problem be the garage sale battery?

If the entire unit is working with a known good battery, couldn't you just pinpoint that to be the mistake, or are you trying to see if it just can't charge it or something..?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

From what I'm hearing now, wouldn't the problem be the garage sale battery?

If the entire unit is working with a known good battery, couldn't you just pinpoint that to be the mistake, or are you trying to see if it just can't charge it or something..?

The garage sale sp won't charge the original sp's battery or it's own battery.

Edit: Ultimately it just can't charge

8 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

The garage sale sp won't charge the original sp's battery or it's own battery.

1. But does it turn on with both batteries or neither?
2. have you tried the 'obvious' like cleaning out the charging port?

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

1. But does it turn on with both batteries or neither?
2. have you tried the 'obvious' like cleaning out the charging port?

1. It only works with the original sp's battery I'm pretty sure the garage sale battery is just dead.

2. I've cleaned it pretty well, the whole unit had what looked to be coke spilled on it, but I was able to clean most of it off. There's some junk in there but none of it appears to be on the contacts.

20190606_145954.jpg

5 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

1. It only works with the original sp's battery I'm pretty sure the garage sale battery is just dead.

2. I've cleaned it pretty well, the whole unit had what looked to be coke spilled on it, but I was able to clean most of it off. There's some junk in there but none of it appears to be on the contacts.

The contact seem fine - I have an SP In WAY worse shape than that, which stills charges fine.

If the SP has gotten in contact with liquid, it might have affected one or multiple electronic components on the board.

Have you seen this already?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/61967/Unable+to+hold+a+charge

Sounds sort of like the problem you're experiencing and I'm just wondering if you replaced this fuse or not. Otherwise you could measure it out, but I am not sure if measuring a fuse while it's in its circuit it proper..

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The contact seem fine - I have an SP In WAY worse shape than that, which stills charges fine.

If the SP has gotten in contact with liquid, it might have affected one or multiple electronic components on the board.

Have you seen this already?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/61967/Unable+to+hold+a+charge

Sounds sort of like the problem you're experiencing and I'm just wondering if you replaced this fuse or not. Otherwise you could measure it out, but I am not sure if measuring a fuse while it's in its circuit it proper..

That is the fuse I replaced, I dont know how well as I'm fairly new to this. But it has continuity now which is better than before. The only liquid it has come into contact with from me is 91% isopropyl alcohol, however I assume the coke is what has caused all of my problems.