How important is hyperthreading in gaming?

So before I I upgraded to a 1050, I had been using an Asus Radeon HD 6570 1gb gpu oc'd to 800mhz, first on a pc that had an i5 660 dual core (with hyperthreading - 4 threads) in a sff Dell, I got honestly poor performance in many games but at least had a loosely playable experience in Skyrim SE on low.
I fast forward to about two-three months ago, I bought a newer Dell full tower pc with an i5 3570 quad core cpu (without hyperthreading - also 4 threads). When I first got it, I planned on buying a new gpu to go with it, but before the upgrade to the 1050, I popped in my hd6570 to get me by since the igpu was awful and almost instantly I noticed that some games seemed to run worse while some did improve.
Are there certain game loads that worked better on my hyperthreaded dual core that have a harder time on a non-hyperthreaded quad core?
Should I look into a cpu with this feature?

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

In this post I will abbreviate Hyperthreading to HT.

If they have the same Ghz and IPC (what the CPU can do per Hz) + all other factors are the same (so the only difference is the core amount and HT support):

4 core no HT > 2 core with HT.

Hyperthreaded threads are a bit weaker than a thread that has a core on its own, because by the way HT works, 2 threads will share components from 1 core. From what I have heard, an hyperthreaded thread has about 70% of a normal core performance.

Of course there are a lot of exceptions to that rule, if you're comparing an old HT CPU with a new non-HT CPU, you will of course get a different comparison..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

some games seemed to run worse

that shouldn't happen... What about the rest of the system? Single channel memory on the newer i5?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

that shouldn't happen... What about the rest of the system? Single channel memory on the newer i5?

Pretty sure it's dual channel, 4x 2gb, same setup as the older one.
I though it was weird too.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

Just now, FellTheSky said:

worse memory / bad PSU

Memory from both pc's is identical.
The psu seems fine, to be honest, I think the older systems psu was giving out, but there's no what that somehow boosted performance.
The only difference in the computers is size, age, cpu, and psu output as far as I can tell,

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

an hyperthreaded thread has about 70% of a normal core performance.

No, it's not the 90's anymore! The performances of the logical CPUs attached to the same physical CPU are the same (1 or 2% difference) when using 1 load thread (game, compute, etc.).

When using 2 load threads on the same physical CPU, performance depends a lot, and especially it depends on the load itself (% compute cycles, % wait, etc.) and the OS scheduler (awake mode when 'idle' during a program, what CPU to bind to, etc.). Most games uses only 2 to 4 threads, with 1 or 2 being highly loaded. If the OS put them on the same physical CPU, then you have a performance hit for sure. The "easiest" way to get rid of this is to disable HT, so that the OS cannot do this. That's why people say it's "better without HT".

The games taking advantage of HT do so because:

- the game itself might use a lot of threads (hundreds of units to give orders to, etc.),

- game developers program an engine that produces multiple meaningful threads, and so that these threads are well treated by the OS.

Whoa. Double post ideas batman! (Relevant:  

PS, lots of misinformation and incorrect ideas in this thread. Meserial is correct.

Most i5s 4 cores with no HT will perform 90% of an i7 4 cores with HT if same clock speed etc. BUT HT is helpful. It's just not 100% increase on performance. ;)

Only like 15-30% even best case. Some games will benefit, some will not. I can help if you are running Chrome/music/streaming in the background while gaming.

I just want to simply answer the topic title. It depends on how the game developers optimize their game engine.

A single example is what Wargaming did on their World of Tanks. Earlier they optimized the game for a 2 cores CPU and we cant get massive advantages by using more cored CPUs but less cores and high clock are more preferred.

But in 2019 Wargaming optimized their World of Tanks game engine to take advantages over higher core count/multicore or even multithreaded CPUs.

I play WoT on i7-8700K before vs after the optimization, I gained around 20fps than I used to get at the same CPU clock speed and same GPU.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

2 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I just want to simply answer the topic title. It depends on how the game developers optimize their game engine.

A single example is what Wargaming did on their World of Tanks. Earlier they optimized the game for a 2 cores CPU and we cant get massive advantages by using more cored CPUs but less cores and high clock are more preferred.

But in 2019 Wargaming optimized their World of Tanks game engine to take advantages over higher core count/multicore or even multithreaded CPUs.

I play WoT on i7-8700K before vs after the optimization, I gained around 20fps than I used to get at the same CPU clock speed and same GPU.

I have noticed the weird performance thing most heavily in Crossout, but I haven't played since I upgraded due to bad internet speed lately.

Another thing I'm wondering is if I might be dealing with a  bottleneck between the i5-3570 and my 1050, and what type of performance hit that might result.
I don't really know what to look for.

Check on a performance graphing app/software. See which maxes out or which stutters/drops performance.