GTX 1050 underperforming on my I7-7700

Tylert03

So, I recently bought a gaming laptop to upgrade from my console. I started with a simple game to see how it ran, (fortnite) and with this graphics card on this system I should be seeing 80-100 FPS on high settings. I have to run the game on low settings to get steady frames to run the game (60 FPS). When I check the GPU usage, it fluctuates from 30-70% when running in game. I have changed all the settings on the control panel to high performance that I have seen recommended, and also updated the drivers. I’m at a stand still and do not know what to do from here. 

If you are using a laptop try to keep it plugged in. The software within nvidia cards likes to limit your performance within the application so it can save your battery while still attempting to give you good performance.

Try setting Triple Buffering to On in nvidia Control Panel for NMS. This has improved frame rate for quite a few people. (Only do this if your laptop provides v-sync)

There also could be a problem with the game failing to detect the video card itself, do a quick search on how to disable Intel HD Graphics so you can have your games detect the 1050 instead of the processors onboard graphics.

I was also looking at the performance benchmarks for your specs a 1050Ti and a i7-7700 running fortnite on ultra is averaging 37fps and 34.4 on the 1% low FPS. I was really thinking it could be your computer specs

At 1080p?

Aside from what was mentioned above, have you checked thermals?

I doubt you'd get 80-100fps though, even a desktop 1050ti can maintain just above 60fps at 1080p High settings.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

50 minutes ago, VinZie said:

If you are using a laptop try to keep it plugged in. The software within nvidia cards likes to limit your performance within the application so it can save your battery while still attempting to give you good performance.

Try setting Triple Buffering to On in nvidia Control Panel for NMS. This has improved frame rate for quite a few people. (Only do this if your laptop provides v-sync)

There also could be a problem with the game failing to detect the video card itself, do a quick search on how to disable Intel HD Graphics so you can have your games detect the 1050 instead of the processors onboard graphics.

I was also looking at the performance benchmarks for your specs a 1050Ti and a i7-7700 running fortnite on ultra is averaging 37fps and 34.4 on the 1% low FPS. I was really thinking it could be your computer specs

Are you saying the specs are too low to support the graphics card? 

46 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

At 1080p?

I doubt you'd get 80-100fps though, even a desktop 1050ti can maintain just above 60fps at 1080p High settings.

46 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

At 1080p?

The computer isn’t over heating, my friends owns a different model but same computer specs and runs fortnite on high settings and gets 70-80 fps

4 minutes ago, Tylert03 said:

Are you saying the specs are too low to support the graphics card? 

No, he's saying the GPU isn't capable enough.

2 minutes ago, Tylert03 said:

The computer isn’t over heating, my friends owns a different model but same computer specs and runs fortnite on high settings and gets 70-80 fps

What are the actual temps? Do you play without AC on? Do you have a picture or vid of that friend's laptop?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

18 hours ago, bleedblue said:

No, he's saying the GPU isn't capable enough.

What are the actual temps? Do you play without AC on? Do you have a picture or vid of that friend's laptop?

The temps are between 50-70 when I'm playing fortnite. I will run the fans when I play also. The model of the laptop is a MSI GP62 7RDX leopard. The graphics card is barely working at all now, seeming as if I'm making it worse with applying these other settings and updating the drive. I did not buy this laptop new, so I'm wondering how old the card is now.

31 minutes ago, Tylert03 said:

The temps are between 50-70 when I'm playing fortnite. I will run the fans when I play also. The model of the laptop is a MSI GP62 7RDX leopard. The graphics card is barely working at all now, seeming as if I'm making it worse with applying these other settings and updating the drive. I did not buy this laptop new, so I'm wondering how old the card is now.

Sounds like the card could've been used in heavy work like rendering and Bitcoin mining

1 minute ago, VinZie said:

Sounds like the card could've been used in heavy work like rendering and Bitcoin mining

How hard is it to replace the graphics card? I have read a few articles and it doesn't seem too complicated. 

6 minutes ago, VinZie said:

And do you have any suggestions on graphics card brand and type I will need for this laptop to perform well on games?

19 hours ago, Tylert03 said:

And do you have any suggestions on graphics card brand and type I will need for this laptop to perform well on games?

Ohhh, yeah. I would NEVER personally try to replace a laptops graphics card. Most of them are soldered into the motherboard.