Can dodgy ram damage my computer?

Lets just say that if i bought ram from ebay and i went through the usual checks but some how i still got scammed, will the dodgy ram damage my computer? Eg. short circuit my mother board. Also are there was to check for dodgy ram? Right now im looking to buy ddr3l sodimm ram.

39 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

Lets just say that if i bought ram from ebay and i went through the usual checks but some how i still got scammed, will the dodgy ram damage my computer? Eg. short circuit my mother board. Also are there was to check for dodgy ram? Right now im looking to buy ddr3l sodimm ram.

Buying ram is probably the safest thing you can buy used since RAM hardly ever breaks and almost always has a limited life time warranty on it. Make sure your ram is compatible with your system. It won't cause shorts, but it might not work due to compatibility. I believe sodim is laptop memory, if you need it for a laptop your good otherwise get 288 pin ram for desktops.

Also, make sure you don't see any visible damage like cracked chips, burn marks or damaged pins. If you do see damage you could try to get a replacement from the manufacturer.