MSI P65 creator i9

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm eyeing the p65 creator with I9 processor and 2070. What's everyone's opinion on this laptop?

Link:

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-p65-creator-654.htm

Thoughts?

Let's hear those opinions.

dont get a i9. its worse than useless. in a thin laptop, you will never reach full potential because of thermal limitations. its all marketing. 

the highest i recomend in a thin laptop is the i7-8750h or i7-9750h. gpu should be fine. 

use case for laptop? budget? screen size? storage options? weight/thickness limit?

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

dont get a i9. its worse than useless. in a thin laptop, you will never reach full potential because of thermal limitations. its all marketing. 

the highest i recomend in a thin laptop is the i7-8750h or i7-9750h. gpu should be fine. 

use case for laptop? budget? screen size? storage options? weight/thickness limit?

Budget isn't an issue. I use the laptop for video editting, music, pretty much for every thing. I'm trying to stay with 15.6 inch. Weight under 5lbs would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, Sabs47 said:

Budget isn't an issue. I use the laptop for video editting, music, pretty much for every thing. I'm trying to stay with 15.6 inch. Weight under 5lbs would be awesome.

gaming? what type of games?

for video editing you want 16gb ram in dual channel at the minimum. you need a fast ssd (preferably pcie ssd). high quality screen etc. might want to wait until nvidia studio laptops are available. or get the speced out dell xps 15. it has the best screen (other than a mac).

6 minutes ago, Saksham said:

for video editing you want 16gb ram in dual channel at the minimum. you need a fast ssd (preferably pcie ssd). high quality screen etc. might want to wait until nvidia studio laptops are available. or get the speced out dell xps 15. it has the best screen (other than a mac).

Any idea when the Nvidia laptops drop?

49 minutes ago, Sabs47 said:

Any idea when the Nvidia laptops drop?

announced at computex few days back. expect to see them in the coming months. if you cant wait, i suggest dell xps 15 

2 hours ago, Sabs47 said:

Where are you from? Any preference on battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Any preference on battery life?

I'm in the US. Battery life isn't much of a concern but the more it can last, the better it is. I'm coming from a 2015 Alienware 15

On 6/3/2019 at 5:49 AM, Sabs47 said:

Battery life isn't much of a concern but the more it can last, the better it is

So you're fine with 3-4 hrs battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

17 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So you're fine with 3-4 hrs battery life?

Quite honestly, It doesnt really bother me. I dont move my laptop enough to worry about the weight of the charger attached to it so if i run out of battery I just plug it it and keep using it. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, Sabs47 said:

Quite honestly, It doesnt really bother me. I dont move my laptop enough to worry about the weight of the charger attached to it so if i run out of battery I just plug it it and keep using it. 

Why not other laptops with less battery life but better cooling? Clevo NH58RDQ/EDQ is a decent budget choice if you don't mind the all plastic body

Perhaps you can provide a budget to make things easier- there are tons of options out there

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 6/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Sabs47 said:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm eyeing the p65 creator with I9 processor and 2070. What's everyone's opinion on this laptop?

Link:

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-p65-creator-654.htm

Thoughts?

Let's hear those opinions.

If you really feel you should get an i9 laptop i would recommend you get a 17 inch laptop that is thicc. If you don't want a thicc laptop then get a laptop with the i7 9750H because the i9 is jsut marketing been played. It doesn't perform as well as the spec sheet states because it will keep throttling and needs massive cooling. I feel if you want to go for a slim 17 inch laptop with all the bells&whistles you should get the razer blade pro - https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro

If you want to get a 15 inch laptop maybe you should wait till asus refreshes their latest ROG laptops and makes then ice blue or get the msi p65 or a razer blade. The razer blade is better though. If you are really into creator intensive work and you want a normal laptop get the razer blade studio edition with quadro rtx gpus.

21 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Why not other laptops with less battery life but better cooling? Clevo NH58RDQ/EDQ is a decent budget choice if you don't mind the all plastic body

Perhaps you can provide a budget to make things easier- there are tons of options out there

I apologize. I should have posted budget. I'm in the 2500-3000 category as long as the specs are worth the money. I'm planning on keeping the laptop for as long as possible.

If budget isn't an issue, check out the below recommendations although even the P65 is one of the sexiest looking laptops out there but mind you, with any laptops nowadays, you seriously need to consider choosing Liquid Metal instead of the crappy stock thermal paste that ships with the laptops otherwise it will overheat like no tomorrow. I recommend you get it from HIDevolution and choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads on heat sensitive surfaces" for the best cooling.

Like I have an Area-51m from them and the temps during a FireStrike run for example are max 76C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU that's with the CPU overclocked to 5GHz and the GPU overclocked by 160 Mhz Core/ 200MHz memory.

Same thing I had an Alienware m15 from them a few months ago and it ran like a dream despite all the reviews out there saying it overheats and whatnot, with a proper thermal paste and a slight undervolt, you'll be good.

See:

Alienware m15

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 9SF-654 15.6" UHD 4K - i9-9880H - RTX 2070 Max-Q

EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G - 15.6" FHD 144Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080

Custom Built ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX531GW-AS76 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-8750H - RTX 2070 Max-Q

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Ultra Male said:

If budget isn't an issue, check out the below recommendations although even the P65 is one of the sexiest looking laptops out there but mind you, with any laptops nowadays, you seriously need to consider choosing Liquid Metal instead of the crappy stock thermal paste that ships with the laptops otherwise it will overheat like no tomorrow. I recommend you get it from HIDevolution and choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads on heat sensitive surfaces" for the best cooling.

Like I have an Area-51m from them and the temps during a FireStrike run for example are max 76C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU that's with the CPU overclocked to 5GHz and the GPU overclocked by 160 Mhz Core/ 200MHz memory.

Same thing I had an Alienware m15 from them a few months ago and it ran like a dream despite all the reviews out there saying it overheats and whatnot, with a proper thermal paste and a slight undervolt, you'll be good.

See:

Alienware m15

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 9SF-654 15.6" UHD 4K - i9-9880H - RTX 2070 Max-Q

EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G - 15.6" FHD 144Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080

Custom Built ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX531GW-AS76 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-8750H - RTX 2070 Max-Q

I'm coming from an Alienware myself. It's a 2015 ND honestly it has done me no wrong and still runs like a champ but the age is starting to show. 

I looked at the recommendations you posted. What are your thoughts on the Sager NP8454? It's got a decent price point for a 4k OLED screen , 9th gen i7 and a rtx2070. It popped up while I was looking on Gentech's website.

2 hours ago, Sabs47 said:

I'm coming from an Alienware myself. It's a 2015 ND honestly it has done me no wrong and still runs like a champ but the age is starting to show. 

I looked at the recommendations you posted. What are your thoughts on the Sager NP8454? It's got a decent price point for a 4k OLED screen , 9th gen i7 and a rtx2070. It popped up while I was looking on Gentech's website.

What's the Clevo equivalent of that model I'm not familiar with the Sager model numbers.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

35 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

What's the Clevo equivalent of that model I'm not familiar with the Sager model numbers.

I believe it's Clevo pb50rc or something to that effect

28 minutes ago, Sabs47 said:

I believe it's Clevo pb50rc or something to that effect

Then I'm not gonna lie I have no idea.

Speaking of Clevo, have you heard of the Prema BIOS? you see, all Clevo laptops (those include Sager, XMG, Eurocom, etc) come with the stock Clevo BIOS which is very basic in terms of the settings it allows you to tinker with and their firmware causes the CPU to throttle when both the GPU and CPU are under load (ie. in a game). So this guy named Prema creates a modified BIOS (Prema BIOS) which unlocks all the menus that are hidden by default and fixes the crippled EC Firmware so the laptop doesn't throttle.

There are a few shops that are Prema Partner and that's the only way to get the Prema BIOS is if you buy a laptop from a Prema Partner which in my hones opinion, after having had owned 3 different Clevo laptops, I'll never touch a Clevo laptop if it doesn't have the Prema BIOS. Fortunately, HIDevolution is a Prema Partner but only the high end models have the Prema BIOS unfortunately as his focus is on flagship laptops.

Check this one for example: EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G - 15.6" FHD 144Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080

Here is the full list of the Prema BIOS benefits:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
  • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
  • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
  • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
  • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
  • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
  • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
  • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
  • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
  • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
  • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
  • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
  • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
  • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

I just gave you another option but if it was my money, I'd buy the Alienware m15 again, I loved it that much, superb battery life (if you go for the 90WHr model), superb performance, thin and light and very portable AND has solid build quality. Not to mention Dell's excellent next business day on-site-support

17 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Then I'm not gonna lie I have no idea.

Speaking of Clevo, have you heard of the Prema BIOS? you see, all Clevo laptops (those include Sager, XMG, Eurocom, etc) come with the stock Clevo BIOS which is very basic in terms of the settings it allows you to tinker with and their firmware causes the CPU to throttle when both the GPU and CPU are under load (ie. in a game). So this guy named Prema creates a modified BIOS (Prema BIOS) which unlocks all the menus that are hidden by default and fixes the crippled EC Firmware so the laptop doesn't throttle.

There are a few shops that are Prema Partner and that's the only way to get the Prema BIOS is if you buy a laptop from a Prema Partner which in my hones opinion, after having had owned 3 different Clevo laptops, I'll never touch a Clevo laptop if it doesn't have the Prema BIOS. Fortunately, HIDevolution is a Prema Partner but only the high end models have the Prema BIOS unfortunately as his focus is on flagship laptops.

Check this one for example: EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G - 15.6" FHD 144Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080

Here is the full list of the Prema BIOS benefits:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
  • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
  • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
  • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
  • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
  • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
  • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
  • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
  • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
  • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
  • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
  • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
  • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
  • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

I just gave you another option but if it was my money, I'd buy the Alienware m15 again, I loved it that much, superb battery life (if you go for the 90WHr model), superb performance, thin and light and very portable AND has solid build quality. Not to mention Dell's excellent next business day on-site-support

I was completely unaware of the Prema Bios. Guess I'll have to research that. I looked at AW again but for some reason the attraction isn't there anymore. I'll give them another look for sure. 

Must it be under 5 lbs? Fine with 2060/1070 GPU? (2070MQ isn't much faster anyway)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler