Recommendation for OnePlus 3T replacement around 500 euro

crotach

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my OnePlus 3T and I'm looking for a phone with a decent camera. My budget is around 500 euros.

I've been using OnePlus for years now and I really like the stock android and lack of bloatware. 

My shortlist is:

1) OnePlus 7 - 549 euro. This seems like a safe bet. It's an upgrade in every way, but not great phone in any one aspect.

2) Xiaomi Mi9 - 529 euro. Normally I wouldn't consider this at all, but with xiaomi.eu ROM all the chinese bloatware and adware is gone and it looks like a very nice phone. I'm not sure about MIUI.

3) Huawei P30 Pro - 629 euro. This would normally not make the shortlist because it retailed for around 1000 euro, but the price has fallen significantly since "trump wars" that it's almost within budget. I might be able to stretch this far, but I'm not convinced by Kirin or Huawei yet.

4) Samsung S10e - 537 euro. Never had a Samsung phone, I used to avoid them due to bloatware, but the new ones seem to be quite nice. I'll never use Bixby but thankfully it can be disabled. 

5) Asus ZenFone 6 - 559 euro. It looks good in every aspect except the screen. It's also the only phone on the list with a LCD screen.

Which one would you recommend, or is there another phone you'd recommend that's not on my list?

Thanks!

Out of those options, I would pick S10e if you are fine with a hole punch. It's IMO worth it from Software perspective

Also maybe you can consider going Mid range if you don't need much performance

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Pixel 3a unfortunately only comes with 64 gb of RAM which is too little for me and it doesn't support SD cards. 

I feel that I can do a lot better by paying a little bit more. For me the only reason to go for Pixel is gcam, which is now ported to almost every phone.

Looking at S10e, I don't think the hole punch would bother me that much. Hard to say without actually using it, but looking at the leaks of Pixel 4 it seems that hole punch is the way to go if even Google is embracing it :)

What about the Xiaomi Redmi K20/pro, has pretty nice spec.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

58 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

What about the Xiaomi Redmi K20/pro, has pretty nice spec.

Wow, thanks for that, haven't seen them before! It's coming out on June 10th in Europe and looks pretty sweet!

I guess I'll wait and see how much they will cost. At least the non-Pro should be within my budget. 

I think the non-pro will be around 250-300 Euros IIRC, and the pro nearer 400 Euros... but my memory is not good, so couldn't say for sure. It's the only phone I would be interested in upgrading to if I was in the market for a new phone this year... but I bought the pocophone last year and am pretty pleased with it, so will hang in to that until I need another upgrade. Pretty much the only thing I don't like very much is the notch, everything else that I need is there.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini