Apple is Reportedly Planning to Retire iTunes.

https://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

But I do agree with companies supplying DRM free software. For all the slack Steam gets... I do have games on it that I can "rip" straight out of the Steam install folder, and run from USB/backup however I like... it's just I forget, or forget to do the saves also. XD

No idea about this - not an Android user. But on an iPhone, you can download directly to your phone any music you "own" in your iTunes account. This does not affect your existing library at all.

Point was, lack of user friendly results = users leave. That's not the common example for Apple... but for those of us who do get the problem, we don't join it. (IE, If I want an SD card, I'm not buying and phone that does not have one... Apple *or* Samsung)

With iTunes I guess Apple are seeing other companies split up the products to sell (to consumers or shareholders/investment companies) or for users to use separately. They can make more money that way, and possibly focus development better (video not worrying about gaming apps, music not worrying about HDR settings etc).

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your argument doesn't make sense when someone can take those digital files and do whatever they want with them.

Such as: Backing them up (I do this), or burning them to CD (I used to do this when it was more common, and my old car had a CD player but no Bluetooth or MDI).

On the flip side, if someone bought a CD and scratched the fuck out of it, they're in the exact same boat as if someone bought some digital music files and then didn't back them up.

EDIT: On topic, I have no problem with this, assuming the replacement for Windows has all the features I need (which I have no doubt of). iTunes on PC has lagged behind the Mac release for a long time, unfortunately. I don't dislike it, but it certainly isn't as good as it could be.

"Just back it up, duuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Yeah, because that fixes the problem and prevents the annoyance/frustration of it occurring in the first place...

Band-aid solutions for all!

Regarding your poorly constructed example of physical media failing, that would be caused by user error, not the incompetence of a third party company like apple so completely irrelevant.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

22 minutes ago, Hellion said:

"Just back it up, duuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Resorting to personal insults won't get us anywhere. Please refrain from doing that again.

Yeah, because that fixes the problem and prevents the annoyance/frustration of it occurring in the first place...

It doesn't, but it mitigates it. And if you care about your digital media, you should be backing it up anyway. Same as if you care about your physical CD, you've already made a copy of it for storage.

Band-aid solutions for all!

Considering how infrequent these bugs in iTunes seem to be, I'd say it's not that big of a problem to begin with. Any software can have bugs. Any digital storage medium (whether it comes from iTunes, or HDtracks.com) can have issues that might result in lost data.

Regarding your poorly constructed example of physical media failing, that would be caused by user error, not the incompetence of a third party company like apple so completely irrelevant.

Incorrect - some issues can be caused by normal wear and tear - Physical CD's can be scratched quite easily, even if taken care of. Furthermore, the plastic they're made of degrades over time. And that's not even talking about physical defects from the factory, or a player deciding to eat the CD (A somewhat common problem with slot loading players, in the "old" days).

Besides, wasn't your original argument that you weren't in control of iTunes music downloads, which was shown as a provably false claim?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

original argument

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm okay with that, as long as we still get the improved app eventually for Windows (assuming it's actually an improvement - which seems likely).

It’s much more lightweight but I can’t compare to an older laptop. Which you kinda should expect seeing as it’s just iTunes split up.

So syncing and updating is now controlled by Finder. It’s really awesome.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:10 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

image.png.8218c45fd215bd59f06777e428a30934.png

I see what you did there.

Back on topic. Great, another first party music application creatively called "Music". This is probably nit picking, but I like it better when applications are given names that are instantly recognizable. I guess we're likely none of the big guns have come out with a web browser app creatively called "Web Browser". 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

? nice! someone noticed.

Details separate people.

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Back on topic. Great, another first party music application creatively called "Music". This is probably nit picking, but I like it better when applications are given names that are instantly recognizable. I guess we're likely none of the big guns have come out with a web browser app creatively called "Web Browser". 

Maybe someone will create an app to go on a Safari, to let you Escape the Net and be an Internet Explorer. Hopefully it will have a Chrome finish too.

Plenty of boring names out there. 

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

image.png.8218c45fd215bd59f06777e428a30934.png

Actually the stock Android browser is just called "Browser".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Actually the stock Android browser is just called "Browser".

You can forgive them for stock ones. Like, if you go to work and get the works "fork lift" you don't care of the brand.

But if the car garage sells you "the new Car from Motor Company" then, well, it's not very descriptive. ;)

On 6/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, dalekphalm said:

Resorting to personal insults won't get us anywhere. Please refrain from doing that again.

It doesn't, but it mitigates it. And if you care about your digital media, you should be backing it up anyway. Same as if you care about your physical CD, you've already made a copy of it for storage.

Considering how infrequent these bugs in iTunes seem to be, I'd say it's not that big of a problem to begin with. Any software can have bugs. Any digital storage medium (whether it comes from iTunes, or HDtracks.com) can have issues that might result in lost data.

Incorrect - some issues can be caused by normal wear and tear - Physical CD's can be scratched quite easily, even if taken care of. Furthermore, the plastic they're made of degrades over time. And that's not even talking about physical defects from the factory, or a player deciding to eat the CD (A somewhat common problem with slot loading players, in the "old" days).

Besides, wasn't your original argument that you weren't in control of iTunes music downloads, which was shown as a provably false claim?

It was and still is but since you decided to make a bunch of irrelevant excuses the conversation went else where... Being pedantic is just causing you further embarrassment. I have audio CD’s pressed as early as 1985 that still look/play brand new. If you are a neanderthal that doesn’t look after your belongings that will reflect in the condition and evidently how long it lasts but I digress, your still grasping at straws trying to compare user error with the incompetence of apple. It doesn’t matter what "reasons" you've convinced yourself with to justify your agenda, you won’t be changing my mind or anyone else’s that’s been on the receiving end of their countless screw ups. At the end of the day being prepared for data loss doesn’t fix shitty software.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

browser... of... whaat...?

should call it internet browser. it'll be fiiiiine

Some are called HTML Browser, if that makes you feel better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.