DVD over IDE to SATA - works only sort of?

HeartOfGermany

Hey guys. I got 2 DVD drives and 2 IDE to SATA adapters (from ebay, powered by Molex, both Sata>IDE and IDE>Sata).

Each Adapter with its drive works, 2 Adapters do not... I thought it has to do with master/slave (IDE...)

Both workindividually, when set to MASTER.

Setting one or both to SLAVE lets the POST hang for a minute, than it usually works with 1 Drive (Always the same).

I thought, this does not work because of the SATA 1to5 Port Multiplier. So I connected 1 DVD Drive to another SATA Port on the board directly (I thought: maybe only 1 Master per Sata Port - even if it is Sata, who knows what works internally with those adapters?)

Does not make any difference to connecting both to the Sata Port Multiplier.

Windows does not detect 2 Drives at the same time. Only Dev1 or Dev2. The BIOS also shows only 1 Drive... It even shows through the port multiplier, but only 1...

So any solution? Or at least an explenation, what went wrong?

THX so far.

Did you use the Master and Slave jumpers?

It also might just be the adaptors (are they of particularly good or bad quality)

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

Yeah, Jumpers.

That would make sense, Mr. horse. However, why do they work in the first place? I mean, how many people tested multiple PATA>SATA adapters simultanously?

Well, than it wil propably just not work. Who knows, if this even is a Bios problem and nothing else?

I can hardly do any more than setting jumpers. If that does not work... Screwed. :D