Gaming/Working laptop suggestion

I’ve been doing some research lately about gaming laptops but have been mostly directed to sites like PCGamer, TechRadar, Toms etc where they usually list the “best” hardware rigs with pretty high end systems that I don’t think I really need even for the next few years.

My current gaming needs are only WoW, Overwatch and some Steam games. I want to watch movies, work with some intensive (non GPU intensive) forensic software, run windows Office suite, and other basic software. Main reason is for those particular games. I’m running a really decent desktop system with only an i5 quad core and a pretty beefy video card. I have no problems running any of the games I play on max settings.

I don’t plan on playing any of the newer games coming out tbh. Do I really need one of the new RTX cards? I have heard current games don’t even use the new RTX tech and probably won’t for sometime.

Ive seen some GTX 1060/1070 with or without the Q, i7 8th gen, 16 MB RAM, 144 Hrtz IPS laptops but I want one that isn’t so small where the heat is an issue but isn’t so massive it looks like a gaudy gamers laptop. I’m really looking for something decent that doesn’t have many QC issues and isn’t more than 1600 US. I was looking at MSI but they seem overpriced compared to similar builds. What about Alienware or Asus? What are the typical issues with these.

Any help would be great.

for games like wow, overwatch etc, a 1050ti (non maxq)should be plenty. there are a TON of options for this. if you can be more specific with requirements that would be very helpfull

Location? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Northeast USA. Budget about 1600 US. Average battery life - I’ll mostly have this plugged in at hotels when traveling. I don’t need an ultra light laptop but definitely don’t want anything really heavy.

17 minutes ago, Kriegprojekt said:

Average battery life 

Min how many hours?

17 minutes ago, Kriegprojekt said:

I don’t need an ultra light laptop but definitely don’t want anything really heavy.

Max kg/lbs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Best laptop money can buy for a business professional and gamer.  Ridiculously powerful i9 cpu paired with RTX 2080 gpu provides optimal performance everywhere you go.  I use it both as a workstation and a desktop replacement at home.  MSI offers a 15.6” version called the gs65 which comes in an RTX 2060 version I think you’d really appreciate.  If you go with an 8th gen cpu you’ll also save a couple hundred dollars without sacrificing too much.  I am thoroughly impressed with MSI as of now.

2FD43FBA-32D0-40B9-9BF4-BDEAED413632.jpeg

2DDAC581-E72A-41C2-B1FC-255E6EF62C23.jpeg

Since you don't have much preference on weight and battery life, you can consider 2060 laptops (yeah I know you don't need so much power, but your budget allows so why not)

Excellent cooling:

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R / CyberpowerPC Tracer III 17S Slim VR 300 / EVOC 17GK7

Clevo NH58RDQ/EDQ, NH70RDQ/EDQ

Lenovo Legion Y740 15 81HE005XUS

OK/good cooling:

*Eluktronics Mech-15 G2, G2R / CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15Z Slim VR 300 / EVOC 16GK5-2060

*Clevo P970RD/ED

*Clevo P960RD, P950EF

*Acer Predator Triton PT515-51-71VV

Lenovo Legion Y540 15/17 - no reviews yet

HP Omen 15t customize with 144Hz

With 2070 GPU - in case you wanted something overkill:

PowerSpec 1520/1720 - in store pickup only

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R with 2070

*thin and light (~2kg or ~2cm)

Fine with GTX1650 laptops?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I think GTX 1650s would be fine considering the games I play. What about cost discounts in the near future? Since the makers are announcing their newest stuff at Computex now, would it be better to wait until right before school starts in August for better deals?

6 minutes ago, Kriegprojekt said:

What about cost discounts in the near future? Since the makers are announcing their newest stuff at Computex now, would it be better to wait until right before school starts in August for better deals?

Hmm I don't think there will be any sales soon...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/29/2019 at 6:26 AM, Kriegprojekt said:

I’ve been doing some research lately about gaming laptops but have been mostly directed to sites like PCGamer, TechRadar, Toms etc where they usually list the “best” hardware rigs with pretty high end systems that I don’t think I really need even for the next few years.

My current gaming needs are only WoW, Overwatch and some Steam games. I want to watch movies, work with some intensive (non GPU intensive) forensic software, run windows Office suite, and other basic software. Main reason is for those particular games. I’m running a really decent desktop system with only an i5 quad core and a pretty beefy video card. I have no problems running any of the games I play on max settings.

I don’t plan on playing any of the newer games coming out tbh. Do I really need one of the new RTX cards? I have heard current games don’t even use the new RTX tech and probably won’t for sometime.

Ive seen some GTX 1060/1070 with or without the Q, i7 8th gen, 16 MB RAM, 144 Hrtz IPS laptops but I want one that isn’t so small where the heat is an issue but isn’t so massive it looks like a gaudy gamers laptop. I’m really looking for something decent that doesn’t have many QC issues and isn’t more than 1600 US. I was looking at MSI but they seem overpriced compared to similar builds. What about Alienware or Asus? What are the typical issues with these.

Any help would be great.

This should be perfect for you, the GT63 Titan is a 15 inch laptop that's not too thin so it dosn't have a cramped chassis and thus, it's cooling system is much better than your traditional thin and light 15 inch:

Custom Built MSI GT63 8RF TITAN-047 15.6" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

It's heavily discounted now as I can see on HIDevolution which have superb build and quality control by the way.

If you want a 17 inch, you can also check out:

Custom Built MSI GE75 8SF Raider-049 - 17.3" Thin Bezel FHD 144Hz - i7-8750H - RTX 2070

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro