Overclocking the monitor

So I have this Dell S2719DGF Gaming 155Hz Monitor. To how many Hz I can overlock it safetly? 80Hz? 144Hz?

Is the overclocking safe or risky?

3 minutes ago, HDSD5547 said:

Dell S2719DGF Gaming 155Hz Monitor

If it’s already a 155Hz why would you want to be less than that? 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

11 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

If it’s already a 155Hz why would you want to be less than that? 

I think OP was referring to if they could overclock it +80Hz or +144Hz etc, not sure if poorly-worded OP.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, seoz said:

I think OP was referring to if they could overclock it +80Hz or +144Hz etc, not sure if poorly-worded OP.

That would make more sense. Thanks @seoz, so @HDSD5547 is that what you meant? 

Overclocking a monitor, is either its working or not, if it's working then you are fine!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Do it is running at 60hz now

On 5/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, star_pilot475 said:

is that what you meant

To how many can I overclock it without a risk oh burning it?

It is at 60HZ, in the name and the description it says that it can reach 155hz

It should be in the settings of the monitor? Maybe try that.

What should be? The limit for safe amount of Hz?

On 5/28/2019 at 8:02 PM, seoz said:

think OP was referring to if they could overclock it +80Hz or +144Hz etc, not sure if poorly-worded OP.

Yes I mean if my Monitor can run up to 155Hz, then should I overclock it to 155Hz? Or 144 is safer? Or 89Hz is the least chance of damaging it?

7 hours ago, HDSD5547 said:

Yes I mean if my Monitor can run up to 155Hz, then should I overclock it to 155Hz? Or 144 is safer? Or 89Hz is the least chance of damaging it?

Oh right, so you were referring to the safe refresh rate in the first place.

If you can manage 155Hz and are comfortable with the risk of breaking your monitor, go for that one;

If it comes stock at 144Hz, that would honestly be a fine refresh rate to stay with;

There should be no reason to go down to 89Hz if it can do 144Hz stock.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 hours ago, seoz said:

If it comes stock at 144Hz, that would honestly be a fine refresh rate to stay with;

So 144Hz is a safe option?

If Dell is selling this monitor as 144Hz with an option to overclock to 155Hz on display port, then both refresh rates must be working then. From customer point of view, "overclocking" such device is going past 155Hz.

From my perspective, not having such computer to render games at more then stable 60 FPS at such resolution I would stick with 60 Hz. My system is already sucking more then 500 Watt at max and going further with power consumption would be real nonsense for me (I already limit my FPS to save power). But this is of course, my point of view.

Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2719DG

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/2cum

Native Resolution
2560 x 1440 at 155Hz (Overclock with DP)
2560 x 1440 at 144Hz (Native with HDMI 2/ DP)
2560 x 1440 at 60Hz (Native with HDMI1)

Smooth gameplay: Experience sharp, tear-free graphics with a swift refresh rate up to 155Hz (overclocked) and AMD FreeSync™ for super smooth visuals.

I'd love to meet any human who claims they can tell the difference between 144 fps and 155 fps with the naked eye ?

54 minutes ago, HDSD5547 said:

So 144Hz is a safe option?

Yes, you shouldn't have to overclock either, you should just be able to change it to 144hz in the display settings in Windows, unless you're using an older HDMI cable then it will only work with 60hz. For higher resolutions and higher refresh rates the best cable types would be the newest versions of HDMI and DP, which are HDMI 2.1 and Display Port 1.4.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 hours ago, Kris3456 said:

From my perspective, not having such computer to render games at more then stable 60 FPS at such resolution I would stick with 60 Hz. My system is already sucking more then 500 Watt at max and going further with power consumption would be real nonsense for me (I already limit my FPS to save power). But this is of course, my point of view

Accually I want to run some games is more than 60Hz on my RTX 2080 ?

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

, you shouldn't have to overclock either, you should just be able to change it to 144hz in the display settings in Windows, unless you're using an older HDMI cable then it will only work with 60hz. For higher resolutions and higher refresh rates the best cable types would be the newest versions of HDMI and DP, which are HDMI 2.1 and Display Port 1.4.

Yes I am using a DP. So as I understand on 144H my monitor will run safely. Is that right?

I bought it a month ago and u dont want to destroy it.

49 minutes ago, HDSD5547 said:

Yes I am using a DP. So as I understand on 144H my monitor will run safely. Is that right?

I bought it a month ago and u dont want to destroy it.

Yes it has native 144hz support, all you have to do is change it in the display settings in windows to 144hz and it shouldn't be a problem.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

26 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yes it has native 144hz support, all you have to do is change it in the display settings in windows to 144hz and it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you so much for helping me! I bet it will not destroy my Monitor.

One more thing: What should I do if after changing the refresh rate, monitor goes black?