Live streaming using OBS with a d3400 Nikon

I'm trying to livestream using obs and I have a capture card and everything needed to do it but the live view coming from the camera to the computer is terrible quality. I'm using the Nikon D3400. It's a 1080 capture card unbranded. It honestly looks like a 480 in video quality and very pixelated. I've tried looking at other YouTube videos on settings and how they get their picture to be so clear but nothing has helped. I realize I'm not using a high-end camera but why is it that I can take a video from the camera and it looks pretty good but when I take a live feed from the camera to the PC it looks terrible?

12 minutes ago, Capt Wink said:

but why is it that I can take a video from the camera and it looks pretty good but when I take a live feed from the camera to the PC it looks terrible?

Probably because your capture-card is just plain shit.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

• 1 month later...

when you capture with obs you are using the camera like a web cam. You setup the values you want in obs and as long as it can see the camera you can configure how fast you want to capture up the the limits of the camera. Now if your trying to capture the video on just the camera and then stream it to obs then your trying to stream files and the limits are usually the settings of the camera at the time you where recording. When you watch it on your computer you can setup obs to stream that window.

You might go check some different obs forums and see if anyone is having the same issues as you or post there since they are pretty good and helping with the software.