HELP with alienware graphics amplifier or the razer core x on a alienware 15 r4

Frenchy19951

In a video Linus mentioned disabling some alienware services. Which one? I also have a Graphics Amp but i've tried both a RTX 2060 AND a Readeon Vega 64. Neither show up in device manager. The core shows up but in USB devices in device manager. So neither the Core or AGA will show my cards. The NVIDIA  drivers will download but doesn't show the 2060 and the AMD software says I have no AMD cards. Im lost. Contacted DELL and the won't help since im not using an approved GPU in the AGA, that my warrenty doesn't cover this. IT WAS A DELL WORKER who told me the 2060 WAS approved! Since I already have the Core X I figured i'd use that one. Lots of forums people say they got either the AGA or Core X with either the 2060 or Vega 64 working! But no one has explained HOW!

Please someone help.

Ryan

youtube video of someone using an Alienware Graphics Amp; 

So youre trying to use the razer external gpu enclosure on your alienware ?

EDIT: okay well i read it more, 

do you have an external display cause it can get a bit tricky if youre using the same display of laptop.

Also for alienware especially reboots are important, so try starting up with it plugged in or reboot when you do , then try installing drivers when youre sure that the gpu in enclosure is active 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Either one. I would prefer the AGA but will settle for either. I am just finshing reinstalling the drivers to try againg. The Core was only showing up underUSB Devices in device manager but not the Vega 64.

Just now, Frenchy19951 said:

Either one. I would prefer the AGA but will settle for either. I am just finshing reinstalling the drivers to try againg. The Core was only showing up underUSB Devices in device manager but not the Vega 64.

as i said, ensure the video card in enclosure shows up as the active card, or else something else might be wrong, 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Sorry didn't see edit. Yes im using a 4k tv but its plugged into the laptop. I 've tried plugging into either 2060 or 64 with both egpu and nothing. im paralyzed so im never out of bed and am always connected to the TV.  

24 minutes ago, Frenchy19951 said:

plugged into the laptop

whats supposed to happen is that even if you plug display into either laptop or gpu, the external gpu is supposed to become active, and then its all supposed to just work from there with the right drivers, so maybe there is something else at play here

That's what I keep reading about the AGA. Except no one will post what drivers/method they used for the RTX 2060. Since Alienware doesn't have it on their approved list of cards they won't help me. They know what the fix is but won't tell. Linus mentioned in a video that after disabling some Alienware services it worked. If I can find out what those are I can at least use the Core

1 minute ago, Frenchy19951 said:

approved list of cards

i mean i dont think it should matter, but i guess it did cause they had to update the bios to even work with the new generation cards ( turing gpus) , so maybe its a bios issue 

DELL said BIOS was up-to date but I might do a complete reboot of OS like it was when I got it. If I can't figure out the Alienware Graphics Amplifier with the RTX 2060 im going to return it and get the RTX 2070. That way if the AGA still doesn't show the card my warranty will cover and I 'll know maybe its laptop or the AGA itself the problem. 

So what about the Razer Core X? I NEED to know what Linus did!

Fixed everything! The Razer didn't have the proper Thunderbolt plugged in ( Edited September 18, 2019:I was using a thunderbolt cable that I bought from Amazon for some other thing I don't remember what exactly. But the cable that the razor core came with is a short cable and I don't know if it's proprietary or if because it was so short that more data was able to go through it, but when I put the cable that it came with into it it works perfectly. The reason I hadn't done that in the beginning is because the setup that I had required a longer cable. So I had to change my set up. All in all all of this was becoming a headache so I decided to get an Area 51 ThreadRipper. Right now my friend uses my laptop to game with me.).. Don't know how I mixed them up. Both cards are recognized and work. Now the AGA. ALL I did was uninstall EVERY NVIDIA/AMD driver/programs from my laptop, disconnected the GA from where I had put and repositioned it to a new location, then replugged everything and VOILA! the AGA recognizes BOTH cards! Only once the Razer Core X worked with the R4 and recognized the cards, did the AGA recognize the RTX 2060 & Readeon Vega 64. WHAT A HASSEL!

Now:

1. Alienware (DELL) are ABSOLUTE LIARS & FULL OF IT!!

For the last 3 days I've been on the phone and all I kept getting told is that ONLY the Alienware Graphics Amplifier would work on my R4 and ONLY these cards; https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300946/alienware-graphics-amplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en  will work on the R4. As you can see neither cards are listed.

I had already purchased my Razer Core X & VEGA 64 for my mac-mini and it works great, but since I  was told by DELL only the GA would work with the approved list of cards, I bought the Amplifier. The approved dimensions (as told by the tech support I spoke to; https://imgur.com/4NrBSux & here online; https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/AGA-video-card-limits-Length-10-50-quot-Height-4-37-quot/td-p/5555839  ) is L10.5" x H4.37" MAX. Not true. The RTX 2060 is L= between 8-9" x H=between 4.5"-5.0" (can't recall EXACT) but the cover will close (although nothing taller WOULD FIT!) and VEGA 64 L=10.3" x H4.3" 

2.My laptop is only 100 days old, should be in top condition. WHY only once the Razer Core X worked did the AGA worked, I DON'T KNOW! All's I did was plug the thunderbolt that came with the Core X (Absolutely necessary for Core X to work, no extensions unless its 40gb/s)  and reinstall all NVIDIA & AMD Drivers.

3. After using both EGPU's & RTX 2060 & VEGA 64 and running some quick benchmarks off of Forza 7, I get average fps50 with VEGA 64 & fps30 with the RTX 2060 on the Razer Core X, resolution set to 4k. With the Graphics Amplifier I get average fps58 with VEGA 64 & fps42 with the RTX 2060 resolution set to 4k.

So in conclusion after 3-1/5 days of hell both systems work. With both cards. DELL are complete thieves and liars. 

The drivers that installed for 2060 are; The latest GeForce Game Ready Drivers and the desktop RTX 2060 drivers (DCH)

For VEGA 64;

Latest version of AMD Software & VEGA 64 drivers. 

I will upload photo & video proof once im done editing. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Op, I am currently struggling with a Core V2 and Alienware 17R 3. Can you elaborate on what type of thunderbolt cable you used? Thank you!

The cable that came with the razor core X. Sorry I didn't elaborate on that. I was using a thunderbolt cable that I got from Amazon, I don't remember what for exactly, but it was a long cable instead of the short one that the razor came with. I do know if it's proprietary or if it's because the shorter the cable the more data transfers. I'm not too tech savvy that way.

In the end though I would recommend, for ease-of-use is to just use the alien ware amplifier for an alien ware laptop and the razor for whatever other laptop that has a thunderbolt port.
I got so frustrated that I upgraded to an Area 51 ThreadRipper. Right now my friend uses my laptop when he comes over so we can game together.

I hope this helps you!

• 2 months later...

So technically, Razer core x work with alienware 15 r4 and that it should work with all the card including RTX 2060 Super which I have been told by dell that RTX cards will not work on the 15 r4 which is BS) all I have to do is first uninstall all the nvidia/AMD driver. Second, just the port that razer come with and thats it right? I used an longer one yesterday and I FKED up my 15 r4 and I have to factory reset it.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Razor works fine and yes your doing it right. Just make sure to use the thunderbolt that came with the Core X. Any card will work(as long as it fits your Core X)